• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Were you better off 4 years ago? 3.27.20

Are you better off than you were 4 years ago?

• Total voters

mrjurrs

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
What happened 4 years ago today in America, March 27, 2020?

1. U.S. surpasses China, Italy in total number of coronavirus cases​

2. Record 3.3 million Americans filed for jobless benefits last week​

3. Trump pushes to reopen low-risk regions​

4. House members rush to Washington to avoid coronavirus relief bill delay​

5. 25 sailors on U.S. aircraft carrier test positive for coronavirus​

Republicans have asked the question, are you better off than you were 4 years ago (apparently they think 4/88's term lasted from 2016 to 2019)? They made a mistake asking that question. Are you better off today? I am.

By far. It isn't even close. There were a few big financial decisions I made in 2020 and they have paid off extremely well.

Were you better off 4 years ago? 3.27.20​

Nobody was better off four years ago.

The question should be, were you better off five years ago.

Republicans have asked the question, are you better off than you were 4 years ago (apparently they think 4/88's term lasted from 2016 to 2019)? They made a mistake asking that question. Are you better off today? I am.
The Corona Virus was going to be a very negative news event no matter who was in office. It was particularly egregious for Trump because finally the left could blame him for anything less than a sudden miracle cure or some how preventing the virus from reaching our shores. Most people who are fair minded will compare the entire time Trump was in office compared to the entire time Biden has been in office. The polls aren't gospel as we all know but they can't be totally disregarded. Trump is leading in many key issues and in key states. He is doing substantially better with minorities than in the past. They're finally realizing democrats screw minorities every chance they get. If you asked are you a liberal or a conservative you'd get the same 80% to 20% divide.

Me specifically, I am, but Im a weird situation.

The country as a whole? Yes, better than 4 years ago.

The country as a whole better than 5 years ago, IE pre-covid? No, not imho.

As I said in another thread. Biden team is smart to ask 4 years, Trump team smart to say 5 years. Winner in convincing the public which metric they should reasonably use is likely to be the winner in 2024

The Corona Virus was going to be a very negative news event no matter who was in office. It was particularly egregious for Trump because finally the left could blame him for anything less than a sudden miracle cure or some how preventing the virus from reaching our shores. Most people who are fair minded will compare the entire time Trump was in office compared to the entire time Biden has been in office. The polls aren't gospel as we all know but they can't be totally disregarded. Trump is leading in many key issues and in key states. He is doing substantially better with minorities than in the past. They're finally realizing democrats screw minorities every chance they get. If you asked are you a liberal or a conservative you'd get the same 80% to 20% divide.

It is disingenuous to take the historic nature of COVID into account when assessing the Trump Administration but forget about it effects on the the nation during Biden Administration.

Those who cut Trump slack on the economy because of the pandemic but have no problem blaming Biden for inflation are fundamentally dishonest.

You mean after 4/88 claimed there would be a sudden miracle cure?

It is disingenuous to take the historic nature of COVID into account when assessing the Trump Administration but forget about it effects on the the nation during Biden Administration.

Those who cut Trump slack on the economy because of the pandemic but have no problem blaming Biden for inflation are fundamentally dishonest.

No they're not. Trump would have, if anything increased oil production. That's where a lot of inflation came from. That would also help starve Putin and Iran. I don't believe he would have continued to pass one massive spending bill after another. That in part led to inflation. Trump would have addressed the supply chain issue far better than how Biden administration handled it. That's right up his alley as a businessman. For whatever reason, Putin didn't invade Ukraine while Trump was in office. Maybe he wouldn't have invaded. Trump would be pressing the issue against China regarding Covid...Biden has done nothing.

No they're not. Trump would have, if anything increased oil production. That's where a lot of inflation came from. That would also help starve Putin and Iran. I don't believe he would have continued to pass one massive spending bill after another. That in part led to inflation. Trump would have addressed the supply chain issue far better than how Biden administration handled it. That's right up his alley as a businessman. For whatever reason, Putin didn't invade Ukraine while Trump was in office. Maybe he wouldn't have invaded. Trump would be pressing the issue against China regarding Covid...Biden has done nothing.
BS.... where do you get it? You don't even make any effort to support it. The majors did not invest in production. Trump signed corporate tax cut went into stock buybacks.

Pre-pandemic, a year of steep decline, followed by a Trump election season offshore drilling moratorium,

https://www.cnn.com › 2023 › 06 › 05 › politics › fact-check-trump-petroleum-reserve-oil › index.html

Fact check: Trump boasts about a massive oil purchase that never ... - CNN

Jun 5, 2023 Facts First: Trump's supposed purchase of 75 million barrels of oil never happened. Trump did propose to buy 77 million barrels for the reserve in 2020 as oil prices cratered because of the ...

Last edited:

With me, no change. Not better off nor am I worse off. But that’s not how a plurality of Americans think. From the link below: In a February AP-NORC poll, just 24% of Americans said they were better off than they were when Biden became president, while 41% said they were worse off and 34% said neither. Majorities also said the country as a whole and the national economy were worse off than when Biden became president.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...ff-than-they-were-4-years-ago-its-complicated

As for the country, 26,7% of all Americans think we’re headed in the right direction, 64.6% in the wrong direction.

https://www.realclearpolling.com/polls/state-of-the-union/direction-of-country

As for the economy, 39.3% of all Americans approve of Biden’s handling of the economy, 57.9% disapprove

https://www.realclearpolling.com/polls/approval/joe-biden/economy

With me, no change. Not better off nor am I worse off. But that’s not how a plurality of Americans think. From the link below: In a February AP-NORC poll, just 24% of Americans said they were better off than they were when Biden became president, while 41% said they were worse off and 34% said neither. Majorities also said the country as a whole and the national economy were worse off than when Biden became president.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...ff-than-they-were-4-years-ago-its-complicated

As for the country, 26,7% of all Americans think we’re headed in the right direction, 64.6% in the wrong direction.

https://www.realclearpolling.com/polls/state-of-the-union/direction-of-country

As for the economy, 39.3% of all Americans approve of Biden’s handling of the economy, 57.9% disapprove

https://www.realclearpolling.com/polls/approval/joe-biden/economy
So you were living your life as you were before COVID?

So you were living your life as you were before COVID?
I lived my life the same prior, during and now after the same. It seems to me prices have doubled since the start of COVID to today. Me and the wife did take precautions, wearing of masks and getting all 4 COVID shots along with the flu and Pneumonia shots like all good old foggies should have done, do.

I did miss watching my Atlanta Braves for a while in 2020. But I got a big kick out of the cardboard people in the stands once play resumed.

Were you better off 4 years ago? 3.27.20​

Nobody was better off four years ago.

The question should be, were you better off five years ago.

you mean before covid reared its ugly head in the US?

Depends on what you want to use as the metrics. My CD are doing better today than 5 years or even 4 years ago.

I can honestly say my lifestyle has not changed one bit in the last 15 or so years. One might say I am no better or no worse off now.

you mean before covid reared its ugly head in the US?

Depends on what you want to use as the metrics. My CD are doing better today than 5 years or even 4 years ago.

I can honestly say my lifestyle has not changed one bit in the last 15 or so years. One might say I am no better or no worse off now.
Individual mileage varies, but over all, I'm correct.

Individual mileage varies, but over all, I'm correct.
For you , yes.
For the rest of us, nope. Only the individual can answer if they are better off.

I lived my life the same prior, during and now after the same. It seems to me prices have doubled since the start of COVID to today. Me and the wife did take precautions, wearing of masks and getting all 4 COVID shots along with the flu and Pneumonia shots like all good old foggies should have done, do.

I did miss watching my Atlanta Braves for a while in 2020. But I got a big kick out of the cardboard people in the stands once play resumed.
Especially the part where the outfielders would fire the warmup ball at the cutouts before innings.

Back
Top Bottom