• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Watching "Live" On My Computer From An Internet News Website

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old 'N Chill

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I have one TV in my house that has Comcast cable service, my ISP is Xfinity. If I want to watch a news channel on my laptop in another room where I'm working on something, I'd like to stream it live. On CNN and MSNBC, when I click to Watch Live, they ask for my TV provider, after I choose Xfinity, they want me to sign into their website with my Xfinity user name and password before I can Watch Live. I don't want to do this, I want to at least keep my Xfinity password private and off of internet sites.

Just for the hell of it, I went to Fox online and clicked Watch Live, then clicked Xfinity. I was immediately shown that I was 'already signed in', and I was able to watch it right away. I'm confused as to how I was 'signed in' to Fox website and not the others. I never gave my user name or password to Fox, and never streamed anything from their site.

Is there a simple way to go to a site like MSNBC and watch it live on my laptop, without signing up with any personal passwords or other info? I remember watching the presidential debates on my computer on CNN, without doing anything special. Now I can't watch live without a sign in.

ISP's don't store info like that in plain text.
So you shouldn't worry too much.
How do I know this?
In a report on recent hacks where millions had their passwords compromised, the author noted that not a single major ISP got user passwords compromised.
I wish I could remember where I read it, it was a few days after that infamous hack.
Your password will be stored most likely in encrypted form.

I have one TV in my house that has Comcast cable service, my ISP is Xfinity. If I want to watch a news channel on my laptop in another room where I'm working on something, I'd like to stream it live. On CNN and MSNBC, when I click to Watch Live, they ask for my TV provider, after I choose Xfinity, they want me to sign into their website with my Xfinity user name and password before I can Watch Live. I don't want to do this, I want to at least keep my Xfinity password private and off of internet sites.

Just for the hell of it, I went to Fox online and clicked Watch Live, then clicked Xfinity. I was immediately shown that I was 'already signed in', and I was able to watch it right away. I'm confused as to how I was 'signed in' to Fox website and not the others. I never gave my user name or password to Fox, and never streamed anything from their site.

Is there a simple way to go to a site like MSNBC and watch it live on my laptop, without signing up with any personal passwords or other info? I remember watching the presidential debates on my computer on CNN, without doing anything special. Now I can't watch live without a sign in.
That's because you were already signed-in to Xfinity in another tab of the same browser.

BTW - I'm pretty security minded about the internet, but you may have me beat here. I think you're too nervous about using your Xfinity log-in credentials, in this instance. It's not like your giving-out your credentials to your bank account or private email.

ISP's don't store info like that in plain text.
So you shouldn't worry too much.
How do I know this?
In a report on recent hacks where millions had their passwords compromised, the author noted that not a single major ISP got user passwords compromised.
I wish I could remember where I read it, it was a few days after that infamous hack.
Your password will be stored most likely in encrypted form.
Thank you very much for that information, much appreciated.

BTW - I'm pretty security minded about the internet, but you may have me beat here. I think you're too nervous about using your Xfinity log-in credentials, in this instance. It's not like your giving-out your credentials to your bank account or private email.

You're right Chomsky, I am always very nervous about internet security and general use. I don't know much about computers, didn't get one until the year 2000 and have only done a limited amount of things on them. I haven't had any children or geeks around to walk me though things over the years, so I've been extra cautious not to get into trouble, without someone in my house to help me sort it out. My spouse if very knowledgeable on technical things, but doesn't use the computer at all on a regular basis for forums, streaming, etc. Thanks for your advice, it does put me at ease, and not having to stream Trump TV is an extra plus. :)

Thank you very much for that information, much appreciated.

Wanna know which outfit DID store all user passwords in an open plain text format?

Parler! The Nazi Twitter!

Mein Space Parler1.jpg

That is part of the reason every single message, post, text, picture and video uploaded to Parler got downloaded and archived.
Not only were many Parler users willing to upload the front and back of their drivers licenses, (state ID's) not only were Parler VIP's willing to provide their Social Security numbers, they were also unaware of the fact that their passwords were lying out in the open and human readable.

"Users could previously upload identification – such as a drivers’ license – to the site in order to receive a “verified real person” badge, similar to Twitter’s blue tick."

Moderator's Warning:
Closing this before this turns into the inevitable mud slinging thanks to a certain poster. Stop making everything political FFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom