• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Want to explore the Universe? Start here

cherokee

Devil Dog
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
For anyone wanting to gain a better understanding of the Milky Way galaxy or the Universe Carl Sagan produced a series called “Cosmos”

You don’t need a degree in astrophysics or astronomy to understand and follow his work. and its free.

You can find his Book “Cosmos” or the 13 part DVD or VCR set at any library.
A remade version (Newer animation) is on the Discovery Science channel Tuesday nights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Sagan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmos:_A_Personal_Voyage

cherokee said:
For anyone wanting to gain a better understanding of the Milky Way galaxy or the Universe Carl Sagan produced a series called “Cosmos”

You don’t need a degree in astrophysics or astronomy to understand and follow his work. and its free.

You can find his Book “Cosmos” or the 13 part DVD or VCR set at any library.
A remade version (Newer animation) is on the Discovery Science channel Tuesday nights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Sagan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmos:_A_Personal_Voyage
I watch them on the Science Channel all of the time...

I work when it comes on originally, but they like to repeat shows 732 times, so I always get a chance to catch up with it...

carl sagan is AWESOME!!!!

and very sadly, "cosmos" cant be found in every library. last time I looked for it, the library didnt own any copies.:(

star2589]carl sagan is AWESOME!!!!

Yes he is.....(RIP)
His work still lives on....

and very sadly, "cosmos" cant be found in every library. last time I looked for it, the library didnt own any copies

I just searched your library and they do have the book. check you PM's here..

Ask them to borrow the dvd or vhs from another library...next county...They do that all the time..

Last edited:
cherokee said:
Yes he is.....(RIP)
His work still lives on....

Ask them to borrow it from another library...next county...They do that all the time..

well, that was a while ago. I'm in college now, and would be shocked if the university library didnt have it.

cnredd said:
I watch them on the Science Channel all of the time...

I work when it comes on originally, but they like to repeat shows 732 times, so I always get a chance to catch up with it...

LOL...hell I must have seen it 20 times all 13...
I have the dvd my wife got my last year...

cherokee said:
LOL...hell I must have seen it 20 times all 13...
I have the dvd my wife got my last year...
Cosmos ranks up there with Blue Planet...

I can watch 'em over and over and over...:cool:

I liked Carl Sagan too, did not always see things the way he did but I liked to watch his shows. Did you know "Sagan smoked marijuana and attributed to the weed vital moments of intellectual inspiration."

Source

ThePhoenix said:
I liked Carl Sagan too, did not always see things the way he did but I liked to watch his shows. Did you know "Sagan smoked marijuana and attributed to the weed vital moments of intellectual inspiration."

Source

LOL!

I doubt that marijuana is any more effective at such than just taking the time to sit still a minute. If there's not an inspired intellect there to begin with, it ain't gonna help none.

Truly this man was an inspiration to many. I fondly remember watching Cosmos as a teenager(when it was new) and I seriously attribute this program to my interest in science to this day. His many books "Pale Blue Dot" one of the better, are very thought provoking. When he died....I decided to name my son after this great man, and my son Sagan also gets to watch the "New" cosmos, just as I did.

tecoyah said:
Truly this man was an inspiration to many. I fondly remember watching Cosmos as a teenager(when it was new) and I seriously attribute this program to my interest in science to this day. His many books "Pale Blue Dot" one of the better, are very thought provoking. When he died....I decided to name my son after this great man, and my son Sagan also gets to watch the "New" cosmos, just as I did.

He was a great person. He had a unique way of explaining some of the most complex theories....

Your son is named Sagan? WOW!

I remember the first time I watched "Cosmos" instead of buying my niece a doll or something like that for Xmas I got her a telescope…..lol…

tecoyah said:
I decided to name my son after this great man, and my son Sagan also gets to watch the "New" cosmos, just as I did.
Thank God you didn't look up to Superfly Snuka...:doh

Carl sagan got me very interested into astrobiology and the "other-worldly" things.

ngc300.jpg

Back
Top Bottom