• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:88] Why was Mary confused?

Countless people seek to discredit Christianity by finding fault with the Bible. They find a passage that they don't understand and swear it can't possibly be true therefore nothing else in the Bible can be true. Well, the fact that they choose not to seek the understanding that Christians get from the Bible does not discredit the book. For most of these people if they watched Jesus walk on water they wouldn't believe. Heck, if they themselves were healed they wouldn't believe. Their faith that God DOESN'T exist is complete and unquestionable to them. In fact it's so unquestionable that they can't conceive of how anyone else could have equal faith that whether the stories of the Bible are scientifically provable or not the message is the word of God.

By your understanding, when was the Bible written, or better question is when were the stories collected that made up the book?

How long after the events chronicled?

If Mary was always a virgin, how do you explain the existence of Jesus' brothers?
The Greek word for brothers is not exclusive to first degree relatives. Cousins and other close relatives were also called brothers.

Now can you explain her question?

According to the Mormons, God (who is totally a dude) came down from Heaven came down and said "Hey baby, I'm like God and stuff" and she did Him.

Hello Mormons!

Is that true?

Countless people seek to discredit Christianity by finding fault with the Bible. They find a passage that they don't understand and swear it can't possibly be true therefore nothing else in the Bible can be true. Well, the fact that they choose not to seek the understanding that Christians get from the Bible does not discredit the book. For most of these people if they watched Jesus walk on water they wouldn't believe. Heck, if they themselves were healed they wouldn't believe. Their faith that God DOESN'T exist is complete and unquestionable to them. In fact it's so unquestionable that they can't conceive of how anyone else could have equal faith that whether the stories of the Bible are scientifically provable or not the message is the word of God.
You misunderstand my question.

The Greek word for brothers is not exclusive to first degree relatives. Cousins and other close relatives were also called brothers.

I guess that is one way to avoid the question.

I guess that is one way to avoid the question.
Knowing the definition of Greek words avoids the question? Why was Lot called Abraham's brother even though Lot was really his nephew?

Can you explain John 2:12?

"After this he and his mother and his brothers+ and his disciples went down to Capernaum,+ but they did not stay there many days."

By your understanding, when was the Bible written, or better question is when were the stories collected that made up the book?

How long after the events chronicled?
The history of the Bible? Many of the Old Testament stories are thousands of years old. Some of the stories likely go back well over 5000 years.

The history of the Bible? Many of the Old Testament stories are thousands of years old. Some of the stories likely go back well over 5000 years.

Please reread my question.

.........when was the Bible written, or better question is when were the stories collected that made up the book?”

Not how old are the stories.

Imagine telling a young bride that she will get pregnant, and she asks how this is going to happen?
It wasnt about getting pregnant, it was about bearing a son and son with a purpose. And "whose' purpose (God's). It was pretty clear IMO that he was preparing her for God's intended purpose. If it was about a son with Joseph, why would the angel have come to her before the pregnancy or even birth?

And since she was a virgin, she was going to need some excuse, some reasoning (whether she or Joseph or anyone else believed it) for why she was pregnant (when it occurred).

Please reread my question.

.........when was the Bible written, or better question is when were the stories collected that made up the book?”

Not how old are the stories.
Are you suggesting that the Council of Nicaea is where the stories of the Bible were collected? In that case the answer is 325 AD. That isn't really an accurate answer but I figure it's the one you're looking for.

Are you suggesting that the Council of Nicaea is where the stories of the Bible were collected? In that case the answer is 325 AD. That isn't really an accurate answer but I figure it's the one you're looking for.

I have read that the Bible was started approximately sixty years after the Crucifixion. Not familiar with the CoN that you reference. Wouldn’t the passing of sixty or three hundred years temper the narrative?

I have read that the Bible was started approximately sixty years after the Crucifixion. Not familiar with the CoN that you reference. Wouldn’t the passing of sixty or three hundred years temper the narrative?
I don't know what you have read but various stories in the Bible go back thousands of years and were an oral tradition throughout the Middle East. The New Testament was written shortly after the Resurrection.

One of the great things about the Bible is that it addresses universal truths that transcend both time and nations. Your choice of the word "temper" is interesting. The narrative isn't diluted or moderated over time but those that seek the truth in the narrative often have their faith "tempered" as would apply to metallurgy. Jesus, in fact, was just such a "tempering" force when it came to Mosaic law, as practiced in his time.

Can you explain John 2:12?

"After this he and his mother and his brothers+ and his disciples went down to Capernaum,+ but they did not stay there many days."
His relatives and his followers.

It wasnt about getting pregnant, it was about bearing a son and son with a purpose. And "whose' purpose (God's). It was pretty clear IMO that he was preparing her for God's intended purpose. If it was about a son with Joseph, why would the angel have come to her before the pregnancy or even birth?

And since she was a virgin, she was going to need some excuse, some reasoning (whether she or Joseph or anyone else believed it) for why she was pregnant (when it occurred).
The angel only said this would happen in the future. Presumably after she lived with Joseph. So what would be the question?

An angel came to announce a natural birth to Zechariah.

His relatives and his followers.
Yeah, a distinction is made between Jesus' fleshly brothers and his spiritual brothers...imagine that...

The angel only said this would happen in the future. Presumably after she lived with Joseph. So what would be the question?
You are repeating yourself. Please read what I wrote again...I responded to that.
An angel came to announce a natural birth to Zechariah.
Please explain this.

I hope that Jesus will lead all souls to heaven, especially those in most need of His mercy and particularly the apostates. In the meantime, I do wonder why trying to discredit the Bible or deny Christ's divinity or whatever is so very, very important to them. Perhaps they hope to be proven wrong.

I hope that Jesus will lead all souls to heaven, especially those in most need of His mercy and particularly the apostates. In the meantime, I do wonder why trying to discredit the Bible or deny Christ's divinity or whatever is so very, very important to them. Perhaps they hope to be proven wrong.
I used to think that might be a thing but from most of what I run into around here it's just an opportunity to piss in someone else's bowl of Wheaties.

I used to think that might be a thing but from most of what I run into around here it's just an opportunity to piss in someone else's bowl of Wheaties.

And now look who's tinkling in somebody's Post Toasties? ;)

Yeah, a distinction is made between Jesus' fleshly brothers and his spiritual brothers...imagine that...
Yeah, his followers aren't all relatives.

You are repeating yourself. Please read what I wrote again...I responded to that.

Please explain this.
Immediately before seeing Mary, in the first chapter of Luke an angel visits Zechariah to tell him that he will be a father. He's the father of John the Baptist, whose birth was natural.

Immediately before seeing Mary, in the first chapter of Luke an angel visits Zechariah to tell him that he will be a father. He's the father of John the Baptist, whose birth was natural.
How does that relate to your OP ?

Back
Top Bottom