• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:531]What Is Wrong with "slut shaming"?

Re: What Is Wrong with "slut shaming"?

Sex outside of the marital bonds only causes STDs and broken homes and generations of future criminals

I've had plenty of sex without marriage and have experienced none of those.

I

I cannot link to something I've determined myself. But from what I've observed most of our problems can be linked to the deterioration of the traditional family structure. Traditional families are strongest when they are built around complete sexual exclusiveness.

It stands to reason, if a person has never had sex with anyone other than their spouse they have no reasons to contemplate any other possible sexual relationship. Speaking from personal experience I would in fact be utterly appalled at the very idea.

Not really. Someone else might argue that if someone has never had sex outside their marriage, they might remain more curious about it and be more prone to experiment. That sounds just as reasonable.

There is a way to try to figure this stuff out with just personal opinions. It's complicated. There can be many factors involved that need to be controlled for and sorted out as you try to figure out the answer. But that's why you have ongoing research in fields like sociology, public health, etc...

I am not saying sex before marriage is fine. I'm just saying it's not as easy and straightforward as you seem to think. Religious people used to think that physical abuse of children was necessary for proper upbringing too ("spare the rod, spoil the child"). It wasn't until the 1960s, however, that studies started to show that it had many harmful effects, did not really work to discipline children in any meaningful way, taught them bullying behavior and that "might makes right", and that there were many other more efficacious ways of teaching discipline. That's how research works. All those studies took a long time though. I am pretty sure no one has been able to defiinitively show that those who did not have sex prior to marriage have more stable marriages.

Everyone should be more like me.

Wait, now you are starting to sound like you're just trying to be funny, amiright? :lamo

I've had plenty of sex without marriage and have experienced none of those.

My grandfather is 75 and a lifelong smoker with no lung cancer.

I am not familiar with STD statistics, but there are about 800,000 abortions per year in the US. That is a low number considering the population of the country and the number of sex acts that likely take place.

You don't think 800,000 is a staggering number given the almost universal availability of reliable birth control in the U.S?

Wait, now you are starting to sound like you're just trying to be funny, amiright? :lamo

You don't think people should be more like you? Where's your confidence in your life?

You don't think people should be more like you?

Not really. I can't even get my own son to me more like me. He's developing all sorts of his own interests and opinions, and I think that's great.

Where's your confidence in your life?

When does confidence become arrogance and oppression?

Not really. I can't even get my own son to me more like me. He's developing all sorts of his own interests and opinions, and I think that's great.

When does confidence become arrogance and oppression?

If it ever happens to me I'll let you know.

If it ever happens to me I'll let you know.

How would you know it's happened to you?

It's a little like the guy who reassures us they will let us know when they are too drunk to drive. Yeah right.

WOW frigging WOW

All those accusations. Name of person??? hell no. Age: So what? She may have forgot who I am.

No, I do not joke about commenting on posters well being. I hope they are well and prosperous.

Yep, that photo was taken by the GF I busted as a prostitutes in fact. Do most women live very well with no visible source of income? I wanted a GF not some hooker. Have you dated any woman that has boxes upon boxes of toothbrushes in her hall bathroom who instructs you to use one to brush your teeth? And there are half a dozen large bottles of mouthwash in that bathroom? There are plenty more red flags I noticed. I simply did not want to believe it till the time I got to her home unannounced and a man with his shoes off was on her living room couch. Supposedly he came to fix the fences. Sure, no shoes on? I am safe for sure. I dusted her off 30 years ago.

Yes, you did mention her name, look back at your posting history. If it was a fake name, then fine, but if it was a Freudian slip or something and it was her real name, then, beware. And no, I've never dated a prostitute. Frankly I find it extremely naive. I think I'd have spotted a prostitute before dating her. What accusations? I'm just expressing concern. You disclose too much, and it is not wise to have as your avatar a real picture of you and of your house. Anyway, whatever, you want to be careless, why should I care? Do as you please. If you don't want my concern, then, fine, whatever. If you want to get yourself in trouble (the Internet is more dangerous than you think), be my guest.

My grandfather is 75 and a lifelong smoker with no lung cancer.

He's the rare exception. Are you this naive or this in denial that you don't know about the EXTREMELY HIGH health risks of heavy smoking? Wow!

He's the rare exception. Are you this naive or this in denial that you don't know about the EXTREMELY HIGH health risks of heavy smoking? Wow!

I know for a fact there are risks.

I am not saying there is not. That’s the point I am making though. Saying “well I’ve done x and I am just fine” is not a great argument. The reason I chose cigarettes is because there is no debate, no one not even smokers truly believe there is no risks to smoking. But the truth is the majority of smokers will not die from tobacco related causes. You don’t know ahead of time though.

It’s like spanking children, every single long term survey done shows spanking children is harmful but no one admits this.

I am not saying smoking is healthy, merely that most smokers will not die from smoking, this is true, it is also true smoking is very unhealthy and severely increases many health risks

Yes, you did mention her name, look back at your posting history. If it was a fake name, then fine, but if it was a Freudian slip or something and it was her real name, then, beware. And no, I've never dated a prostitute. Frankly I find it extremely naive. I think I'd have spotted a prostitute before dating her. What accusations? I'm just expressing concern. You disclose too much, and it is not wise to have as your avatar a real picture of you and of your house. Anyway, whatever, you want to be careless, why should I care? Do as you please. If you don't want my concern, then, fine, whatever. If you want to get yourself in trouble (the Internet is more dangerous than you think), be my guest.

First off, that was no house. LMAO Frankly I forgot what the building is. So you can identify this now very old woman? Great, get in touch with her.

And as an addendum to this, we know that having promiscuous sex is unhealthy because many people will suffer effects, sex creates an emotional bond as well as a physical one. There is many risks from uncommitted sex from unexpected pregnancy to STDs to involvement in other risky behaviors. And these fall mainly on the women.

But they hurt men too. When I was in high school I had a sexual relationship with a girlfriend, we never had sexual intercourse but we had oral sex and touched each other and that sort of thing and it made the break up much worse and it left me with feelings of shame over this. I’ve been to strip clubs and this also left me feeling ashamed, since my religious reversion I’ve stopped with lustful behaviors and I am much happier and healthier as a result. And this is borne out by research, the most healthy way to enjoy sex is in a committed relationship, and the highest form of commitment is marriage

You mean your Libs? Since....you know.....they love irresponsible sex and reckless behavior.

As opposed to what?

Because you kind of just described America in its heyday.

I know for a fact there are risks.

I am not saying there is not. That’s the point I am making though. Saying “well I’ve done x and I am just fine” is not a great argument. The reason I chose cigarettes is because there is no debate, no one not even smokers truly believe there is no risks to smoking. But the truth is the majority of smokers will not die from tobacco related causes. You don’t know ahead of time though.

Most smokers die of heart attacks, not cancer or emphysema.

Happens when you inhale carbon monoxide regularly.

if our president is telling the truth, he's a slut. he just can't get pregnant so a ton of people give him a pass.

and many of those people who give him a pass have erectile dysfunction now but were also sluts when they were younger.

this stuff is all so predictable. the ole "do as i say and not as i did" generation that i'm part of. we also think we know everything now that we're in our 50s-60s.

And as an addendum to this, we know that having promiscuous sex is unhealthy because many people will suffer effects, sex creates an emotional bond as well as a physical one. There is many risks from uncommitted sex from unexpected pregnancy to STDs to involvement in other risky behaviors. And these fall mainly on the women.

But they hurt men too. When I was in high school I had a sexual relationship with a girlfriend, we never had sexual intercourse but we had oral sex and touched each other and that sort of thing and it made the break up much worse and it left me with feelings of shame over this. I’ve been to strip clubs and this also left me feeling ashamed, since my religious reversion I’ve stopped with lustful behaviors and I am much happier and healthier as a result. And this is borne out by research, the most healthy way to enjoy sex is in a committed relationship, and the highest form of commitment is marriage

When you were in high school, you were not fully mature physically, mentally and emotionally. I would say most people are not fully mature until at least 25.

Once you are a fully mature, responsible, adult, one can very easily manage an active sex life without the requirement for monogamy. Is a monogamous relationship perfect, for some, yes, for others maybe not.

We live in a free society. There are SO MANY VICES worse for you than sex. It should never/ever be demonized. There can be negative effects of sex but their can also be positive benefits of sex. If you search pros and cons of sex, you will find there are as many positive effects as their are negative effects.

Ok do cigarettes cause cancer then? By your logic cigarettes have no health consequences because the majority of smokers will die of old age never getting cancer

Conclusions
In Australia, up to two-thirds of deaths in current smokers can be attributed to smoking. Cessation reduces mortality compared with continuing to smoke, with cessation earlier in life resulting in greater reductions.

Tobacco smoking and all-cause mortality in a large Australian cohort study: findings from a mature epidemic with current low smoking prevalence | BMC Medicine | Full Text

Smoking, a main cause of small cell and non-small cell lung cancer, contributes to 80 percent and 90 percent of lung cancer deaths in women and men, respectively. Men who smoke are 23 times more likely to develop lung cancer. Women are 13 times more likely, compared to never smokers.11

Between 2005 and 2010, an average of 130,659 Americans (74,300 men and 56,359 women) died of smoking-attributable lung cancer each year. Exposure to secondhand smoke causes approximately 7,330 lung cancer deaths among nonsmokers every year.12

Nonsmokers have a 20 to 30 percent greater chance of developing lung cancer if they are exposed to secondhand smoke at home or work.13

Lung Cancer Fact Sheet | American Lung Association

Actually, I was a straight arrow most of my life. Now I have promiscuous sex with anyone interested in spending time with me.

Back
Top Bottom