• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:#389: 420, 790]Texas elementary school reports 'active shooter' on campus

We need to have a very serious discussion about the degradation of our society. The lack of respect for life. The breakdown of the family unit. The massive increase of mental illness. The increase in youth suicides. The massive drug addiction crisis and the overdose deaths. This is the place where the discussion must start.

You haven't shown that his giving up guns would save lives? Would you poke out your eyes if it would save 18 children from molestation?

If we tripled the number of guns in the US would you expect the number of gun deaths to go up, down or stay the same?

Because you might not want so many guns in the country that there are so many mass shootings nearly every day.

It's not about numbers of guns. There are ~400 millions guns in the US. Compared to ALL the shootings in a year, that ratio of guns : gun deaths is so small you need an electron microscope to see it.

It's about what's wrong with some of the almost exclusively males that use them to kill. Either in crimes or mass shootings (I'm making a small distinction, I know mass shootings are a crime). It's about figuring out how we're creating so many of these POS losers and changing that. It's about learning to identify and track them down. To keep guns out of their hands. To stop them or help them (since so many are teens).

We need to have a very serious discussion about the degradation of our society. The lack of respect for life. The breakdown of the family unit. The massive increase of mental illness. The increase in youth suicides. The massive drug addiction crisis and the overdose deaths. This is the place where the discussion must start.
Or just treat gun companies like pushers.

How about a serious discussion of who we are letting buy guns?

Another day, another massacre in America. Let's throw a party to celebrate.

Then why did you end the word "reduce" rather than what you meant?
It wasn't me that said that. I was just butting into the argument. People who support the second amendment don't want to sacrifice children's lives any more than people who drink alcohol do. Either way, there is a cost in blood for both of these rights. The number that is acceptable is zero, and we have laws to prevent this. But like all laws, they are not perfect. There are those who violate them and do outrageous and disgusting things with these rights, and every death is a tragedy.

That's everywhere, but no country has as many guns per capita as we do.

Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 7.33.05 PM.jpg

That seems like the wrong question to be asking. That’s like trying to figure out what speed limits should be based on car crash deaths.
My point was to note that "reduce" wasn't "prevent".
There are policies we know reduce gun violence and we should implement them and go from there. All I care about is that it’s an improvement.
First you have to get them through Congress and then through SCOTUS.
"improvement" will never be good enough. The US could pass every single bill in Congress and every proposal in the Democratic Party's platform and we would still have school shootings.

I don't think the Democrats are ready to do what it would actually take to end mass shootings and school shootings.

There’s a huge difference between room for improvement and pointing to the most extreme things you can find to aggressively push for nebulous “gun control” that wouldn’t make a difference. There are things that cannot be accounted for in the law.

Considering these events are happening on a fairly regular basis, I wouldn't exactly call them 'extreme' anymore.

The conservatives bitching about regulation and government are the same conservatives who want government to step in with more regulation on abortion, immigration, drugs, etc.

The slaughters will never stop here.

If you won't consider giving up your guns to save childrens' lives, feel free to SOB.
No, I won't do something that won't work to make you feel superior. The only thing my giving up my guns does is make my family less secure.

What you should probably do is sell all your property and use the money to buy guns and destroy them. That is what a real martyr would do.

By the way, what would you give up to save the 63 million children killed by abortion?

Are you one of those folks who wants no regulations on abortion, but all kinds of regulations on a right actually guranteed by the Constitution?
Oh boy that was dumb

Shooter apparently was wearing body armor

Could they have been inspired into a copycat killing?

His name is Robert Paulson. His name is Robert Paulson. His name is Robert Paulson.

Is that the name of the dead shooter?

I'm of the school of thought that once identified, the media never use his name again. Refer to the event or act and just call them the 'killer,' 'shooter,' 'monster,' 'loser,' etc.

I'm for denying them as much fame and notoriety as possible and it's known that the shooters develop reputations and encourage copycats.

It's not about numbers of guns. There are ~400 millions guns in the US. Compared to ALL the shootings in a year, that ratio of guns : gun deaths is so small you need an electron microscope to see it.

It's about what's wrong with some of the almost exclusively males that use them to kill. Either in crimes or mass shootings (I'm making a small distinction, I know mass shootings are a crime). It's about figuring out how we're creating so many of these POS losers and changing that. It's about learning to identify and track them down. To keep guns out of their hands. To stop them or help them (since so many are teens).

Except that by that same argument the number of males involved in mass shootings are also a ratio "so small you need an electron microscope to see it."

First you have to get them through Congress and then through SCOTUS.
"improvement" will never be good enough. The US could pass every single bill in Congress and every proposal in the Democratic Party's platform and we would still have school shootings.
Seems like a rather defeatist mindset. I personally believe there are always paths we can take to make the world better.

If we tripled the number of guns in the US would you expect the number of gun deaths to go up, down or stay the same?
They would go up.

Guess the Tree of Liberty needed watering.

Get a grip folks, not like any of the dead were the unborn!

Acceptable Collateral Damage for our Freedom!

Aren't you too afraid of government you may need to attempt to curb the excesses of, at gunpoint, or fall into formation in some
imaginary militia of other noble patriots like.... Ashli Babbitt to one day "save the nation," to even contemplate ever, ever, ever, giving
up your guns?

Knock it off, post. Lursa is a liberal gun owner and gun rights advocate.

It would be interesting to research how many school shooting there have been, and how many committed by minors (under 21)
One is too many. Most 18 year olds today are still children.

Considering these events are happening on a fairly regular basis, I wouldn't exactly call them 'extreme' anymore.

The conservatives bitching about regulation and government are the same conservatives who want government to step in with more regulation on abortion, immigration, drugs, etc.

That coupled with easy access to powerful weapons have created a situation particular the US. There needs to be general acceptance that there is a very serious problem that needs attention not denial and excuses.

Back
Top Bottom