• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:#37]American Tourists

SNOWFLAKE

Crazy Canuck
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal

40 Ignorant And Disrespectful Things People Witnessed American Tourists Doing In Other Countries

While the majority of tourists are some of the friendliest people you’ll ever meet, unfortunately, a small but vocal minority can spoil everyone’s good reputation.

Some examples:
I saw an American father (with young kids in tow) explain to an elderly Japanese man why they just had to drop the bomb on Hiroshima, no way around it...

At the Peace Museum.

In Hiroshima.

I once got told by an American tourist that I spoke English quite well.

I'm English and this was in England.

I overheard the guy standing in front of me in the queue at mc D's having a meltdown:

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DON'T ACCEPT AMERICAN DOLLARS THIS IS A MCDONALD'S!!!"

this was in Poland, Europe.

When I was in France a couple of American tourists tried to sneak out of the Paris Catacombs with a bone they had stolen.

Click on the above link if you want to read more insanity, but don't if you are easily offended.

Also:

26 Embarrassing Things American Tourists Really Need To Stop Doing When Traveling Internationally

"Stop announcing you’re American in a voice that implies we’re jealous of you."

Examples:

"People from America need to stop acting like everyone in the UK knows the queen."

"If you come to Norway, please remember that we speak English and understand you perfectly fine when you talk shit about us to your friends/family."

"Stop announcing that you’re American in a voice that implies we’re jealous of you. We’re not."
(We here in Canada are VERY familiar with this one, every American tourist claims privilege because they are American, sheesh)

MORE:

Why locals get massively annoyed with US tourists

The first time you travel abroad, you may be surprised to learn that Americans have a less than stellar reputation overseas.
www.theactivetimes.com

Now YOUR turn, if the above triggered you, tell me how much you hate Canadians

laugh_40x40.gif

Im Australian and I feel triggered. No wonder a lot of Americans hate Canadians hey.

I once saw an american tourist shouting at a chinese waiter. Apparently he though that english can be understood if you speak really loudly and slowly.

Well, the next time a European country gets into a major war that they are not going to win, how about you guys not call the USA for help if you detest us so much. Here's another idea, tell all your european friends that all Americans are not cowboys.
Actually I love Europe and most of the Europeans I've met on my trip to Europe. This was just to let you know we would appreciate an occasional thank you for all the aid we have handed out to Europe, military and financial.

I traveled around Europe while we were stationed there and came across some odd people, none of them American. Ok, it has been a few years and things may have changed since then.
At a restaurant...was it is Spain?...some German guy was arguing with a waiter. Apparently, and that was after consulting my travel translation pocket guide, the guy was asking for Sauerkraut and, since they didn't offer any at the Spanish restaurant, got rather annoyed and loud.
Tourists.

It's inherent. I try so hard to not do the dumb American stuff but I was born here so I do without knowing.

My daughter lives in Sweden, when I visit I try to blend in, but my American sticks out. :p lol

It's all good tho, most people are very understanding of my American fumbles.

BTW, make sure when in Sweden at any store, take the ticket. Just look around for the ticket giver and take it. If you're Swedish, or know a Swed, you'll understand what I'm talking about. lol

It's inherent. I try so hard to not do the dumb American stuff but I was born here so I do without knowing.

My daughter lives in Sweden, when I visit I try to blend in, but my American sticks out. :p lol

It's all good tho, most people are very understanding of my American fumbles.

BTW, make sure when in Sweden at any store, take the ticket. Just look around for the ticket giver and take it. If you're Swedish, or know a Swed, you'll understand what I'm talking about. lol
I do love ticket dispensers. In Fl they have one in the DMV, or tax collectors as it were. Never any doubt who's in line for anything.

I do love ticket dispensers. In Fl they have one in the DMV, or tax collectors as it were. Never any doubt who's in line for anything.
They're literally everywhere in Sweden. Taking your turn is very important there. I waited to be helped for a while before I realized I needed the ticket.

Another one is space between people on public transport. My daughter said, mom, pretend there is another person there, and sit next to the imaginary person and be quite, don't talk to strangers. lmao.

They're literally everywhere in Sweden. Taking your turn is very important there. I waited to be helped for a while before I realized I needed the ticket.

Another one is space between people on public transport. My daughter said, mom, pretend there is another person there, and sit next to the imaginary person and be quite, don't talk to strangers. lmao.
I love that, respecting personal space.

I used to lead Americans on tours in Europe and the first suggestion I told the tourist was respect the people and the country you are in. Second, learn at least a few phrases for each country and use them in restaurants and shops instead of just avoiding trying to speak to the staff. Same on the streets.

Click on the above link if you want to read more insanity, but don't if you are easily offended.

Also:

MORE:

Now YOUR turn, if the above triggered you, tell me how much you hate Canadians

View attachment 67404680
I've traveled a bit, and there is a bit of an instant assumption that I'm an entitled asshole with no manners in certain places.

I just explain to them that I'm not a republican.

exactly the opposite in the middle east. Everyone is in your space, most of them talking all at once.

Well, the next time a European country gets into a major war that they are not going to win, how about you guys not call the USA for help if you detest us so much. Here's another idea, tell all your european friends that all Americans are not cowboys.
Actually I love Europe and most of the Europeans I've met on my trip to Europe. This was just to let you know we would appreciate an occasional thank you for all the aid we have handed out to Europe, military and financial.
Touchy Touchy :rolleyes:

I've traveled a bit, and there is a bit of an instant assumption that I'm an entitled asshole with no manners in certain places.

I just explain to them that I'm not a republican.
rolling-on-the-floor-laughing_1f923.png

I've travelled very widely and lived in many countries. All tourists are a plague and Americans are, on average, no worse than all the others

What ignorance.

I'll bet money that I've visited many more tourist spots around the world than this OP ever has and I've seen plenty of rude Brits, Canadians, Germans, Americans, and many others that I had no idea where they were from.

But since this is a troll thread.......do as the Romans do. (y)

Let's be fair.

I know that it is not politically correct, but some Europeans have (quietly) criticized the manners of some tourists from Red China, too.

In fact, hear tell, Red China a while back issued a booklet to its citizens about good manners when abroad.

Also have heard most American citizens usually do not complain about bad service. They just never return. Scares the blank out of many European business owners.

What ignorance.

I'll bet money that I've visited many more tourist spots around the world than this OP ever has and I've seen plenty of rude Brits, Canadians, Germans, Americans, and many others that I had no idea where they were from.

But since this is a troll thread.......do as the Romans do. (y)

I know I am but so are you argument?
wonder_40x40.gif
Flag-jacking (French: prise de drapeau) is the act of travelers wearing a foreign flag on their clothing or backpack in an attempt to disguise the country they are visiting from; this occurs most prominently in cases where American tourists wear Canadian flags in an attempt to pass as Canadians.

Last edited:
Let's be fair.

I know that it is not politically correct, but some Europeans have (quietly) criticized the manners of some tourists from Red China, too.

In fact, hear tell, Red China a while back issued a booklet to its citizens about good manners when abroad.

Also have heard most American citizens usually do not complain about bad service. They just never return. Scares the blank out of many European business owners.
And why don't they return? Because they can't get their hamburgers?

And why don't they return? Because they can't get their hamburgers?
As I understand it, tourists from other countries would complain if the food was substandard or they were overcharged. But Americans just never return. So the owners lose their business forever.

As I understand it, tourists from other countries would complain if the food was substandard or they were overcharged. But Americans just never return. So the owners lose their business forever.
There you go, typical American attitude. Dismissing the food as substandard. I have personally witnessed, when in Germany, an American throwing a fit when on a Rhine boat cruise and the menu didn't offer hamburgers. I am not alone in that. My mother-in-law had the same experience when on a trip to Africa years back an American threw a fit because the menu at a restaurant there didn't include hamburger. Neither story is made up, which proves my point about hamburgers. I am SURE that tourism is going dead because Americans with hurt feefees are not going back. :rolleyes:

There you go, typical American attitude. Dismissing the food as substandard. I have personally witnessed, when in Germany, an American throwing a fit when on a Rhine boat cruise and the menu didn't offer hamburgers. I am not alone in that. My mother-in-law had the same experience when on a trip to Africa years back an American threw a fit because the menu at a restaurant there didn't include hamburger. Neither story is made up, which proves my point about hamburgers. I am SURE that tourism is going dead because Americans with hurt feefees are not going back. :rolleyes:
but they do have Hamburgers in Hamburg.
I get it, tourists don't always behave well, and we all have some stories to tell. Ideally we should familiarize ourselves with customs of the host country, but very few do.
I don't think it is an American thing to misbehave.

Back
Top Bottom