• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:3596] Arguments Against Same-Sex Marriage

There is no good non-religious argument against same-sex marriage that also supports heterosexual marriage. Your specious argument attempts to oppose all marriage.
Well, you grasp more than your pal Rich anyway. Yes, my argument is against marriage itself. What is it about that argument that you find "specious"?

Well, you grasp more than your pal Rich anyway. Yes, my argument is against marriage itself. What is it about that argument that you find "specious"?

You constantly try to connect two ideas that are separate because you agree with the conclusion.

That's called rationality.

You are supposed to connect common points. You do not try to connect disparate idea just because they might support your beliefs.

You are supposed to connect common points. You do not try to connect disparate idea just because they might support your beliefs.
Of course you try to do that. That's scientific hypothesis and poetry in a nutshell!

"There are no good, non religious, arguments against same sex marriage" that you understand.

Explain it.

What you posted does not make sense.

Start off with: "Same sex marriage is bad because..."

Explain it.

What you posted does not make sense.

Start off with: "Same sex marriage is bad because..."

Because you ask so nicely...because you post in such good faith...because irony is wasted on you, I'll tell you this much: your introducing the word "bad" here as a gloss on the expression "an argument against" indicates that you are thinking in political buzzwords on this topic, and suggests that my argument is over your head.

Nevertheless, for old times' sake I'll offer you the following summary of the argument:

Nature offers several possible justifications for monogamy, but none of these justifications apply to modern civilized man, and therefore institutionalized monogamy, a.k.a. human marriage, is unjustifiable in evolutionary terms, and absent any other terms of justification, is unnatural and otiose. And that means marriage between man and woman, man and man, woman and woman, and between any of the billion genders politics has invented to the consternation of rationality wherever it still exists.

Any spark of understanding yet?

Because you ask so nicely...because you post in such good faith...because irony is wasted on you, I'll tell you this much: your introducing the word "bad" here as a gloss on the expression "an argument against" indicates that you are thinking in political buzzwords on this topic, and suggests that my argument is over your head.

Nevertheless, for old times' sake I'll offer you the following summary of the argument:

Nature offers several possible justifications for monogamy, but none of these justifications apply to modern civilized man, and therefore institutionalized monogamy, a.k.a. human marriage, is unjustifiable in evolutionary terms, and absent any other terms of justification, is unnatural and otiose. And that means marriage between man and woman, man and man, woman and woman, and between any of the billion genders politics has invented to the consternation of rationality wherever it still exists.

Yeah we get it you have no comprehension of biology or evolution

Because you ask so nicely...because you post in such good faith...because irony is wasted on you, I'll tell you this much: your introducing the word "bad" here as a gloss on the expression "an argument against" indicates that you are thinking in political buzzwords on this topic, and suggests that my argument is over your head...

Well thank you, and since you're so civil, I'll refrain from pointing out your grammatical error.

You don't know what irony is, do you Baldrick?
Yes I do, it's like goldie and steely but made of iron.

...human marriage, is unjustifiable in evolutionary terms, and absent any other terms of justification, is unnatural and otiose. And that means marriage between man and woman, man and man, woman and woman, and between any of the billion genders politics has invented to the consternation of rationality wherever it still exists.

Then you do not know what evolution is.
It is the process to refer to biological changes in a species over time. Evolution does not say what changes would be beneficial or not.
Furthermore evolution doesn't change a species to its optimum level - merely one to which the species can successfully breed and survive.

You appear to be saying that human population would be bigger if marriage didn't exist. So what???

The human population is if anything too big.
Marriage hardly prevents homo sapiens from surviving and successfully breeding.

QED; The institution of marriage is NOT an impediment to the survival of the species.

Was that over you head?

...any spark of understanding yet?

Do you now understand the evolution theory better?
It is not to argue that changes occur, we know changes occur, it is to explanin how and why they occur, not to suggest ways of improvement.

So with that put to bed.

Are there any good, non-religious arguments against same sex marriage?

Last edited:
Well thank you, and since you're so civil, I'll refrain from pointing out your grammatical error.

You don't know what irony is, do you Baldrick?
Yes I do, it's like goldie and steely but made of iron.

Then you do not know what evolution is.
It is the process to refer to biological changes in a species over time. Evolution does not say what changes would be beneficial or not.
Furthermore evolution doesn't change a species to its optimum level - merely one to which the species can successfully breed and survive.

You appear to be saying that human population would be bigger if marriage didn't exist. So what???

The human population is if anything too big.
Marriage hardly prevents homo sapiens from surviving and successfully breeding.

QED; The institution of marriage is NOT an impediment to the survival of the species.

Was that over you head?

Do you now understand the evolution theory better?
It is not to argue that changes occur, we know changes occur, it is to explanin how and why they occur, not to suggest ways of improvement.

So with that put to bed.

Are there any good, non-religious arguments against same sex marriage?

Hes also ignoring the fact that you need not be married to be monogamous nor monogamous if you are married.

Well thank you, and since you're so civil, I'll refrain from pointing out your grammatical error....
Refrain not. Point out the "grammatical error," please. Your mistaken belief in this regard will provide me with an analogy when I point out that your second tutorial on evolution misses the point of my argument even more egregiously than your first.

What grammatical error did I commit in my post?

Previous post you proclaimed

and now you agree with me. So full of it.

Or you could actually understand what you read and realize that I didnt agree with you remotely on substance.

That's a lie. The comparison was that same sex couples and closely-related couples were discriminated against in being denied marriage...closely-related couples being the ONLY other 'group' you could come up with to try and draw that comparison.

But it failed. It was indeed a comparison, to support your argument, but it failed. For the reasons I explained in post 2838.

or instead of cryptic ambiguous responses, you could be clear. Either way.

Not at all you are trying to link them and have failed to do so
Irrelevant. The concept of marriage is grounded in the concept of monogamy whatever the social realities were or are.

Irrelevant. The concept of marriage is grounded in the concept of monogamy whatever the social realities were or are.

You are very wrong. Monogamous marriage is a relatively recent idea.
3. Polygamy preferred

Monogamy may seem central to marriage now, but in fact, polygamy was common throughout history. From Jacob to Kings David and Solomon, Biblical men often had anywhere from two to thousands of wives. (Of course, though polygamy may have been an ideal that high-status men aspired to, for purely mathematical reasons most men likely had at most one wife). In a few cultures, one woman married multiple men, and there have even been some rare instances of group marriages. [Life's Extremes: Monogamy vs. Polygamy]

5. Monogamy established

Monogamy became the guiding principle for Western marriages sometime between the sixth and the ninth centuries, Coontz said.

"There was a protracted battle between the Catholic Church and the old nobility and kings who wanted to say 'I can take a second wife,'" Coontz said.

The Church eventually prevailed, with monogamy becoming central to the notion of marriage by the ninth century.

6. Monogamy lite

Still, monogamous marriage was very different from the modern conception of mutual fidelity. Though marriage was legally or sacramentally recognized between just one man and one woman, until the 19th century, men had wide latitude to engage in extramarital affairs, Coontz said. Any children resulting from those trysts, however, would be illegitimate, with no claim to the man's inheritance.

"Men's promiscuity was quite protected by the dual laws of legal monogamy but tolerance — basically enabling — of informal promiscuity," Coontz said.

Women caught stepping out, by contrast, faced serious risk and censure.

13 Facts on the History of Marriage | Live Science

Refrain not. Point out the "grammatical error," please. Your mistaken belief in this regard will provide me with an analogy when I point out that your second tutorial on evolution misses the point of my argument even more egregiously than your first.

What grammatical error did I commit in my post?

The difference between your and you're.

Now do you understand evolution and why it has nothing to say about cultural conventions?

Do you accept that there is no evolutionary issue with marriage?

The difference between your and you're.

Now do you understand evolution and why it has nothing to say about cultural conventions?

Do you accept that there is no evolutionary issue with marriage?
Your correction is incorrect.

Here is the post in which you claim to find a misuse of your/you're with the only possible candidatebolded:

In this case the your is the possessive form of the personal pronoun used before the gerund (verbal noun) introducing -- "your introducing the word" is perfect grammar.
You're (the contraction of you are) is incorrect.

On your reading -- "you're introducing" -- which means "you are introducing" -- creates a grammatical monstrosity with the verbs "are introducing" and "indicates" running into each other incoherently mid-sentence.

"Your introducing" is the subject of "indicates." "Your introducing...indicates that you are thinking in political buzzwords...."

You are very wrong. Monogamous marriage is a relatively recent idea....
Your quotes do not support your claim. Please read them more closely.
If the concept of marriage were not linked to the concept of monogamy, what work was the concept of adultery doing?

Your quotes do not support your claim. Please read them more closely.
If the concept of marriage were not linked to the concept of monogamy, what work was the concept of adultery doing?

Adultery can exist in polygamous marraige

Nope, but feel free to try and prove that claim
Monogamy according to your links (which you still havent read) was an evolutionary reaction, marriage is a societal creation

...in this case the your is the possessive form of the personal pronoun used before the gerund (verbal noun) introducing -- "your introducing the word" is perfect grammar.
You're (the contraction of you are) is incorrect.

On your reading -- "you're introducing" -- which means "you are introducing" -- creates a grammatical monstrosity with the verbs "are introducing" and "indicates" running into each other incoherently mid-sentence.

"Your introducing" is the subject of "indicates." "Your introducing...indicates that you are thinking in political buzzwords...."

Should properly read "you are introducing..." or contracted to read "you're introducing"

If you intended to use "your" it should read "your introduction of..."

Always willing to educate the uneducated.

Back
Top Bottom