• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W: #330] ‘Do with it what you f—— will’: Elderly mother with dementia died by suicide after daughter gave her a gun and told her to...

Thanks, but just recognized that my VPN was still left on from watching Pluto tv earlier. I’m in the Us lol
I see, so you are 100% convinced that no other so-called "country" but the US has had any problems with its aging and incapable so that means that there is absolutely no reason to look at what any other so-called "country" has purported to have done and therefore absolutely no reason to think about alternatives to what is the situation in the United States of America because ONLY America counts.

<SARC>Makes a whole lot of sense to me.</SARC>

I see, so you are 100% convinced that no other so-called "country" but the US has had any problems with its aging and incapable so that means that there is absolutely no reason to look at what any other so-called "country" has purported to have done and therefore absolutely no reason to think about alternatives to what is the situation in the United States of America because ONLY America counts.

That's not what he said and also not what I understood him to mean. It's not whether the U.S. "counts more"; it's the fact that as a nation, we have no euthanasia laws, isn't it?

That's not what he said and also not what I understood him to mean. It's not whether the U.S. "counts more"; it's the fact that as a nation, we have no euthanasia laws, isn't it?
Indeed, and that is why I pointed him to a set of laws that he might find interesting. However, he wasn't interested because they weren't American.

Obviously, if the only "euthanasia laws" that can be considered are American ones and if there are no American euthanasia laws, then there can not be any euthanasia laws considered.

Indeed, and that is why I pointed him to a set of laws that he might find interesting. However, he wasn't interested because they weren't American.

Obviously, if the only "euthanasia laws" that can be considered are American ones and if there are no American euthanasia laws, then there can not be any euthanasia laws considered.

Why should an American necessarily be interested in what Canada does? Is your expectation that others will read up and then lobby their elected reps to change American law? And how would any of this help someone who has an elderly and declining parent or spouse?

Why should an American necessarily be interested in what Canada does?
Why should anyone be interested in anything that anyone else does when what the other did was an attempt to address a problem that the first has?

To find out what other approaches have been taken and to see if they might be applicable - that's why.

The approach taken by the other party might not be applicable, but it might also help the one with the problem clarify their thinking and devise a solution that is more specifically tailored to their own particular needs.
Is your expectation that others will read up and then lobby their elected reps to change American law?
My expectation is that others will read up, consider various possibilities, formulate their own syncretic solution, then do their damnedest to see that the laws are changed so that they accord with what they perceive the best solution for their own particular situation is. That reading up includes looking at what people in other jurisdictions have done.

BTW, my "expectation" is more frequently NOT met than it is met.
And how would any of this help someone who has an elderly and declining parent or spouse?
Quite frankly, with the laws that currently exist in the US today, a change in the laws tomorrow isn't likely to help them. They can, however, use their experiences to change the laws so that others will be helped. This is known as "social responsibility". Unfortunately it doesn't pay very well, so don't expect to see a lot of it floating around.

PS - As with the laws restricting abortion, those with sufficient financial means will not find the laws restricting "euthanasia" to be any hindrance whatsoever should they wish to obtain one.

No, I thought you were providing me the link on a personal level or something. Not as a part of the debate but rather seeing my post, seeing my location, and thinking you were being personally helpful to me by steering me towards some info.

Wow talk about reading a TON of non-existant context into a post

No, I thought you were providing me the link on a personal level or something. Not as a part of the debate but rather seeing my post, seeing my location, and thinking you were being personally helpful to me by steering me towards some info.

Wow talk about reading a TON of non-existant context into a post
I really wonder how that post squares with your "Thanks, but just recognized that my VPN was still left on from watching Pluto tv earlier. I’m in the Us lol".

HINT - It doesn't.

However that post is correct.

View attachment 67479743

Nov 23rd, 2023

Hard to judge by that picture, but does Jaye Dee look like a lesbian or is THAT a Karen hairdo? Let's speculate :unsure:

Sometimes it takes a few posts for threads to get stupid. Sometimes they just start out that way.

I would be interested as to the childhood Jaye Dee Watts experienced with her mother - the intensity of this anger and hostility toward Linda had to come from somewhere!

It also emphasizes the need for daytime programming for the elderly on a regular basis - to provide "caregiver relief" for those who would otherwise be totally responsible for the care of their parents 24/7 with no respite!

While I have not reviewed the facts of this case, I did read a news article on this case after I became the caregiver for my mother (with dementia). Hence, the first thought that crossed my mind was "I'll assume that the old crow earned it".

After 15 months of toil doing housekeeping, medication, grocery shopping, doctor's appointments, and keeping her company watching a single TV series over and over (at least 10 to 15 times in seeing the full 6 seasons of Longmire) I no longer buy into the notion of their being innocent victims who the caretaker needs to humble themselves to.

When they are ungrateful, argumentative, berating, mean, and even violent then if they cannot be reached by reason, what is one to do? Drugs? Behavioral conditioning with food and punishment? Or just letting them do what they want because, as impaired as they are, their choices are theirs.

I can well imagine that the daughter decided to stop arguing, stop trying to prevent their demented parent from dangerous activity, and giving them what they want, including suicide.

Back
Top Bottom