• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:254] What is a "living wage?"

Grizzly Adams

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
I've seen this term a lot over the years, but it's never been properly defined. What is it? Give me a number. If it's variable (across time or geography), give me a principle by which the number is determined. The principle(s) must be objective and not as squishy like the initial "living wage" term you're trying to define.

I've seen this term a lot over the years, but it's never been properly defined. What is it? Give me a number. If it's variable (across time or geography), give me a principle by which the number is determined. The principle(s) must be objective and not as squishy like the initial "living wage" term you're trying to define.
Living wage is squishy. It means different things to different socioeconomic groups. It means if you work a 40 hour week, you earn a wage that enables you to provide for yourself and the family unit you are responsible for without taking a second job.

Research works.

In this case, maybe you need to experience what it is for wages NOT to cover your living expense, then "your answer will likely fall upon your when the desperation forces you to actually think and relate the factors and expense of living, respecting to the part of the country, city or town one lives."

• There is information of "Cost of Living Index" for any State, and City on the Internet.
  • There's also many various graphs.. with detailed researched information.

In basic simplicity, Go, work for $10 a day... and come back and tell us if it meets with your daily cost of living expense.

Great Link !!!

Last edited:
In simple terms, a wage the average person can live off of. That number should be based on inflation.

If you want a number, this is as good a place to start as any:

That's the best site I've seen, ever, when it comes to this question. For my area, the "living wage" is $11.38/hr. Even if I accepted the notion that every job should be paid this wage (which I don't), why should employers in my county have to pay nearly a third more than is required for one person to make their living doing the most trivial of jobs?

Living wage is squishy. It means different things to different socioeconomic groups. It means if you work a 40 hour week, you earn a wage that enables you to provide for yourself and the family unit you are responsible for without taking a second job.
What happens if I'm responsible for myself and another employee doing the same job as me is responsible for a spouse and two children? Your definition doesn't allow for a number to be determined as the living wage.

In basic simplicity, Go, work for $10 a day... and come back and tell us if it meets with your daily cost of living expense.
That doesn't result in a number. It seems to be a purely emotional argument that is wholly detached from an objective analysis of data.

It's a different number depending on where you live.

$15 an hour in Brownsville TX is pretty good. $15 an hour in San Francisco is nothing.
Like I said, if the number is variable across time or geography, provide an objective measure by which a person can calculate the number.

In simple terms, a wage the average person can live off of. That number should be based on inflation.
How do you calculate that average? Average what? Globally? Nationwide? Statewide? County? City? Neighborhood? And why should t be that average instead of another?

The number would be different in different regions but having a regional wage gets complicated so the easy thing to do is just pay everyone over the age of 16 $48k/yr and that should be a good starter for most folks.

That doesn't result in a number. It seems to be a purely emotional argument that is wholly detached from an objective analysis of data.

That’s why people who screech about a “living wage” are never satisfied by anything. The only objective way to do it is to assess the value of the labor. But progressives want some nebulous non-definition that accounts for octomom.

The number would be different in different regions but having a regional wage gets complicated so the easy thing to do is just pay everyone over the age of 16 $48k/yr and that should be a good starter for most folks.
What principles drive you to that figure? Why should an employer in a place with a low cost of living have to bear the cost of paying an employee what it costs to live in an urban center?

What principles drive you to that figure? Why should an employer in a place with a low cost of living have to bear the cost of paying an employee what it costs to live in an urban center?
Because if they don't then they're racist.

What happens if I'm responsible for myself and another employee doing the same job as me is responsible for a spouse and two children? Your definition doesn't allow for a number to be determined as the living wage.
That's what the first part of my answer says..."Living wage is squishy."

That's the best site I've seen, ever, when it comes to this question. For my area, the "living wage" is $11.38/hr. Even if I accepted the notion that every job should be paid this wage (which I don't), why should employers in my county have to pay nearly a third more than is required for one person to make their living doing the most trivial of jobs?

If the jobs are that trivial, why do they need employees? If your business plan doesn’t involve paying people a decent wage, your business plan sucks and you deserve to not have one.

Then it's useless to squeal for one, since it's an indeterminate number. No one knows what you mean.
You mean like a minimum wage? State or federal? Tipped or not? Under 18 or not? Just starting your job or not? Please give me a minimum wage number that is standard across the country. Squeal? Are your panties in a bunch?

You mean like a minimum wage?
Sure. That's what most people talk about when they say the minimum wage needs to be increased -- that it isn't a "living wage."

Please give me a minimum wage number that is standard across the country.
$7.25.

Regardless, if geography is your issue, I clearly provided for that in my initial post.

Sure. That's what most people talk about when they say the minimum wage needs to be increased -- that it isn't a "living wage."

$7.25.

Regardless, if geography is your issue, I clearly provided for that in my initial post.
That's the federal minimum wage. It isn't the minimum wage across the country. What is the significance of $9.89 per hour?

That's the federal minimum wage. It isn't the minimum wage across the country.
You asked for a standard minimum wage. That's it. If some states have decided that even more unskilled labor should be priced out of the market, that doesn't eliminate the federal minimum.

What is the significance of $9.89 per hour?
I've no idea. It has none to me.

You asked for a standard minimum wage. That's it. If some states have decided that even more unskilled labor should be priced out of the market, that doesn't eliminate the federal minimum.

I've no idea. It has none to me.
I didn't ask for a standard, I asked what it is. $9.89 an hour is the minimum wage in AK.

Back
Top Bottom