• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:2270] Does a Gun Make Your Home Safer?

You are incorrect.

Let me explain it to you.

Guns were initially invented for war, ie to kill or maim other people. Even on this board today people constantly reference "protection" as well as "hunting", two activities that leverage 100% the reason guns exist (to kill or maim).4

No...that's only one reason....and still, what is the reason for war? To protect resources, territory, families.

They were also invented to protect life in self-defense and to kill for food, just like most weapons that came before them.

And you agreed that "protection" is a legitimate use...that the gun's purpose is indeed protection. Which they are still used for today. And also to still hunt...'for food.'

if they say that-which I doubt, they are obviously not credible
Yeah people don't get that one if the source says something that's incredibly stupid it's not a source.

Also there is a chasm of difference between absolutely no risk and minimal risk.

I guess people that keep fire extinguishers are paranoid too.

It's a level of paranoia that doesn't seem to be problematic.
Fire extinguishers are a safety device in their own right. A loaded gun left unattended, unsecured and loaded is ignoring a safety rule. Not quite the same.

Care to suggest a good reason for leaving a loaded gun in an unsecured bedside cabinet. Either a touch of paranoia or crime really is very bad and happens far to often to take the risk of not doing such with a gun.
Either way it is not a glowing endorsement for your country.

Fire extinguishers are a safety device in their own right. A loaded gun left unattended, unsecured and loaded is ignoring a safety rule. Not quite the same.

Care to suggest a good reason for leaving a loaded gun in an unsecured bedside cabinet. Either a touch of paranoia or crime really is very bad and happens far to often to take the risk of not doing such with a gun.
who makes up these safety rules that you claim applies universally no matter what the personal environment is? If your home is locked when you aren't there, such a firearm is secured. The problem is-your definition of unsecured is bullshit.

if they say that-which I doubt, they are obviously not credible
The following link is from the NRA

https://www.nrafamily.org/articles/2019/11/5/6-ways-to-safely-store-your-firearms/

The article makes it quite clear that people have different needs and there are different options to meet those needs. Yet I fail to see anything that indicates one of those options is an ordinary wooden bedside cabinet. For all that the belief is that it is up to the individual to choose. It is not the belief that the individual choose methods that are not listed in the article, ie. wooden bedside cabinets.

https://www.nrafamily.org/articles/2019/11/5/6-ways-to-safely-store-your-firearms/

The article makes it quite clear that people have different needs and there are different options to meet those needs. Yet I fail to see anything that indicates one of those options is an ordinary wooden bedside cabinet. For all that the belief is that it is up to the individual to choose. It is not the belief that the individual choose methods that are not listed in the article, ie. wooden bedside cabinets.
that means nothing. try again.

sure I can. You're just claiming to have a credible source without actually having one.

If you're not storing it then you wouldn't lock it in a storage device if I need it for possible defense then I'm using it.

If I put my guns in storage they don't have ammo in them the ammo is actually kept separately and the gun is disabled.

When a gun is in the state it can't be used for defense. For it to be used for the defense it has to have ammo ready within arms reach or you don't have to use a key or do some goofy combination to take it out.

Again I will take the absolute minuscule risk of some ghosts sneaking into my house and taking it while I'm asleep and going and shooting people with it it's extremely unlikely that that will happen.
Any link on safe storage for a gun from a credible source.

there is no such thing as a safe practice there are practices you can do that make things less dangerous. But if you take away the function of something then what are you sacrificing for safety.
A safe practice would be doing something to make things less dangerous. Putting a seatbelt on in a moving car is a safe practice for the purpose of making it less dangerous if there is an accident.
And what function is being taken away?

If you want to sacrifice you're right to life for safety that's your business. I'll take the absolute miniscule risk of my gun being possessed by a demon flying around and shooting people for the benefit of having it should I need it
If you're not storing it then you wouldn't lock it in a storage device if I need it for possible defense then I'm using it.

If I put my guns in storage they don't have ammo in them the ammo is actually kept separately and the gun is disabled.

When a gun is in the state it can't be used for defense. For it to be used for the defense it has to have ammo ready within arms reach or you don't have to use a key or do some goofy combination to take it out.

Again I will take the absolute minuscule risk of some ghosts sneaking into my house and taking it while I'm asleep and going and shooting people with it it's extremely unlikely that that will happen.

A fun fact for you. I started on this thread with someone who had pointed out that quick access safety boxes means he can keep his gun safe in a locked box and have quick access.

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-bedside-gun-safe-quick-access/

And your still using a goofy combination or key to keep your musket safe.

From your link: The right safe storage solution for everyone is different. Whichever method you choose, it must provide an adequate level of protection to prevent unauthorized persons from accessing the firearms. The determination of what is “adequate protection” is a matter of judgment on the part of the individual gun owner.

Nothing in the link you give says the list of options they give is exhaustive. The above quote seems to indicate they understand their list isn't exhaustive. And you are continuing to conflate a gun being used with one being stored.

No, But I did think that a pro gun person is likely to consider it a credible source. Would you prefer I go find a hippies view on guns?
Why would you think that the NRA has any credibility? Do you think they have credibility?

From your link: The right safe storage solution for everyone is different. Whichever method you choose, it must provide an adequate level of protection to prevent unauthorized persons from accessing the firearms. The determination of what is “adequate protection” is a matter of judgment on the part of the individual gun owner.

Nothing in the link you give says the list of options they give is exhaustive. The above quote seems to indicate they understand their list isn't exhaustive. And you are continuing to conflate a gun being used with one being stored.

I have asked of another that they need show where an ordinary wooden bedside cabinet is listed in any gun shop as a gun safety cabinet. Where as links to gun shops do show metal boxes of all sizes with different speed release locks.

Are you asking me to dismiss the information because of the source or because the information is wrong?
I'm asking if you trust what the NRA says because they're the NRA.

I have asked of another that they need show where an ordinary wooden bedside cabinet is listed in any gun shop as a gun safety cabinet. Where as links to gun shops do show metal boxes of all sizes with different speed release locks.
And I pointed out that the when I am home the gun on a cabinet is just as safe to me as one in my safe.
Unless you believe as you apparently do..that th e gun on the cabinet is going to magically jump up and shoot me.

And I pointed out that the when I am home the gun on a cabinet is just as safe to me as one in my safe.
Unless you believe as you apparently do..that th e gun on the cabinet is going to magically jump up and shoot me.

Nothing I have said about an accident could make you believe that. An object on a bench is not likely to be the cause of an accident.

Gun shops don't advertise bedroom furniture for sale, but do advertise things they do happen to sell? I'm quite surprised at that revelation.

Who here has argued that a wooden bedside cabinet is a "gun safety cabinet"? I think at best you have that some have argued such a cabinet can be used as a place to lay a gun that is being used for self defense, and that such gun use is not particularly unsafe in some circumstances. Except maybe from the POV of an intruder.

Gun shops don't advertise bedroom furniture for sale, but do advertise things they do happen to sell? I'm quite surprised at that revelation.

Who here has argued that a wooden bedside cabinet is a "gun safety cabinet"? I think at best you have that some have argued such a cabinet can be used as a place to lay a gun that is being used for self defense, and that such gun use is not particularly unsafe in some circumstances. Except maybe from the POV of an intruder.
That circumstance then would be when there is no use for that gun.

And as yet no one has justified that level of self defense is necessary.

Yes gun shops do not sell such devices that are not actually safe. Because every credible gun safety rule agree on locked boxes as being safe. Not a bed side cabinet.

That circumstance then would be when there is no use for that gun.

And as yet no one has justified that level of self defense is necessary.

Yes gun shops do not sell such devices that are not actually safe. Because every credible gun safety rule agree on locked boxes as being safe. Not a bed side cabinet.

So you move from it is unsafe to it is unnecessary.

Do you even have a cohesive argument?

Because that is what it is. But what I said was about accidents. While this is about is a rule. Two different things.
Please explain in detail why you believe it's unsafe and a violation of safety rules..
When you freely acknowledge now..that the firearm is not going to magically jump up and shoot me.

what do you mean by unattended if I leave the room and I did not know the firearm before I left the room?

That's not a safety rule. Guns don't just jump up and start flying through the air and shooting people.

Care to suggest a good reason for leaving a loaded gun in an unsecured bedside cabinet.
if I need it it's there.

Why would I unload it and put it in a safe that doesn't make any sense.
Either a touch of paranoia or crime really is very bad and happens far to often to take the risk of not doing such with a gun.
I guess having a fire extinguisher in my house means fires are really really bad and happen really often or I'm just paranoid.

You're made up safety rule doesn't exist.

Back
Top Bottom