• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:134]The New York Times Takes a Stand Against Free Speech

Hi Jack,

I hear you there. John Stuart Mill puts it very well.

My concern is what this could potentially lead to. Hitler was democratically elected. He wrote 'Mein Kampf', which by the way is still banned and censored today in many countries. A ban I do not agree with, but hey, we all know what they are scared of right...

I am gonna take a few short cuts here, so bare with me.

Hitler claimed that the unemployment was caused by the Jews. He claimed that Arians were the only good and pure race. He claimed that violence in order to achieve the solution for this was justified. We all know the end result....

Now this did of course not happen over night. The foundation for this was laid by the German defeat in the Great War. He wrote 'Mein Kampf' while in prison. He rose in the Nazi Party. And it was not until 1933 (If I'm not mistaken) that he got elected. It than took an other 6 years until WW II started. And yet an other 6 years later we could start writing the history books and start doing the math. And the math ended with a total of 60,000,000 people under the ground.

Now when I look at what is going on in the world today (NOT just in the US!), I get scared. I strongly believe we should look forward. But I also believe we should learn from the past. And when I look at todays society, I get scared and I worry. I see an analogy to what has happened in the past.

I am 100% sure that you do not want a repeat of what happened to the Jews during WW II. But when do we say; Stop. Enough is enough. When? Where should we have stopped Hitler? Or should we not have stopped him and is the war justified because he was just expressing his opinion? That doesn't sound right to me, sorry. And I am pretty sure that this is not what you have in mind either.

Now I am taking it to the extreme here. And it may not be a likely scenario. But at the same time it is hard to deny that it is a possibility. And in the light of this possibility, however small, we should do something to avoid this from becoming a reality. And I think that curtailing some of the rights we have fought for so hard in the past may need a bit of a 'rethink'.

I am not saying that Trump is trying to do just this. But I see a lot of behavior from him that is very typical behavior for dictators. And where is this leading us. Can every body always say what he wants? Really?

I strongly believe that problems should be solved when they become big issues. When a problem arises it is best to address it as early as possible. The longer you wait the more effort it will take to solve the issue.

Joey
Trump is a punk whom I do not fear under any circumstances.
Hitler was not democratically elected. He became Chancellor as part of a deal by conservatives to try to use him against the left. They did not count on his ruthlessness.
Benjamin Franklin once said: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

People disagree about lies and truth. They are nonetheless free speech.
Yes some people believe lies and attempt to get others to believe lies too. That changes nothing. They are still lies and must be treated as lies. Hence the disclaimers. A free society cannot exist on lies.

Last edited:
Yes some people believe lies and attempt to get others to believe lies too. That changes nothing. They are still lies and must be treated as lies. Hence the disclaimers. A free society cannot exist on lies.
I'm with Brandeis in his classic concurring opinion in Whitney v. California (1927):
“If there be time to expose through discussion, the falsehoods and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence.”

I'm with Brandeis in his classic concurring opinion in Whitney v. California (1927):
“If there be time to expose through discussion, the falsehoods and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence.”
" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts"
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
I also will remind you again that a private business can set their own rules for how it is run. Mr. One and done will be banned from Twitter after Jan. 20 for his multiple violations of those rules.

https://www.businessinsider.com/don...world-leader-protections-exemption-20-2020-11

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts"
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
I also will remind you again that a private business can set their own rules for how it is run. Mr. One and done will be banned from Twitter after Jan. 20 for his multiple violations of those rules.

https://www.businessinsider.com/don...world-leader-protections-exemption-20-2020-11
The Moynihan quote has nothing to do with free speech.
And yes, the NYT is free to suppress speech with which they disagree. And we are free to call them out for their betrayal of principle.

Back
Top Bottom