• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US V UK milk.

I can vouch for that.

I was present in a very small (converted from an old farmhouse) dairy in Wisconsin when they brought the milk in from one farm known for its grass fed only cattle. They had to split the milk into different batches because of the grassy smell/taste.

In addition when we lived in northern Florida and didn't have that much money we would buy ground beef from a local butcher who had his cattle eating the local scrub brush .... The smell from cooking burgers was bad and there was a not so pleasant herbal funk to the beef patties.. Ketchup and mustard werent condiments. They were necessities.

It's why I prefer my beef finished on grain and am not a fan of wild meats like deer and what not. I prefer by far domesticated meat with the sole exception being seafood.

The milk in the states comes straight from the cow to the pasteurization vat to the bottling plant or bulk distribution for manufacturing. It is only dehydrated and rehydrated for either making powdered milk or for manufacturing of other foods. Raw milk unpasteurized has been made illegal by many states. We used to have thing called a milkman, where milk was delivered daily in glass bottles straight from the dairy after pasteurization and bottling on site.

My cousin has a place in Wisconsin where you bring in the jug and the cow is milked into a funnel inserted in the jug. The jug is returned, still warm, to the checkout counter to await you check out. Wisconsin allows "incidental sales" directly to consumer at farm where produced.

What you feed animals will effect the way it tastes. The moose in Newfoundland have a pine taste to them they eat a lot of pine needles
I am quite familiar with the what you eat theory, I have had squirrels that you could not distinguish from chicken by tast, and have eaten others that can only be described as squirrel in taste, the difference being the chicken tasting ones spent their life robbing bird feeders while the squirrel tasting ones were raised on nuts and other squirrel stuffs.

Deer also is variable, some deer taste almost like store bought beef(evident of them living their lives on corn feeders) I have also had deer taste like straight up grass, the worst has been deer who spent years eating cedar, deer hate cedar but will eat it if they are facing starvation, and it makes them taste terrible.

On beef I can usually tell brazilian or argentina beef just by taste, it is a very grassy taste. Much of the grass fed beef in the states is raised on corn, then switched to grass before the end of their life to legally call it grassfed, if the cow is grassfed its whole life it can easily be told by taste vs grassfed beef that was just a end of life switcharoo for legal reasons.

My cousin has a place in Wisconsin where you bring in the jug and the cow is milked into a funnel inserted in the jug. The jug is returned, still warm, to the checkout counter to await you check out. Wisconsin allows "incidental sales" directly to consumer at farm where produced.
That's good to know. People should be able to buy whatever milk they want.

many states allow that. THere are a number of 'farm to consumer' dairy farms around here. They do have special protocols they have to go though to make sure the milk is not contaminated.

Actually cattle uses land that typically cannot be used for row crops or grains and the like, making the most of the ground that is available.

Actually, 99.9% of cattle grazing land is sufficient for other purposes. Cattle raising requires 10 times the plant protein to make 1 unit of animal protein. This is 10% efficiency. Water is consumed at 1% efficiency as compared to plant protein production.

Cattle raising is the largest cause of habitat destruction and global food insecurity.

Of course, meat heads would have you believe that the .00001% of cattle that is raised on marginal lands is doing someone a favor. It is not. That land could be rehabilitated to produce plant protein instead of being further degraded to produce animal protein.

There's no excuse and your perspective is supported by ignorance alone.

Actually, 99.9% of cattle grazing land is sufficient for other purposes. Cattle raising requires 10 times the plant protein to make 1 unit of animal protein. This is 10% efficiency. Water is consumed at 1% efficiency as compared to plant protein production.

Cattle raising is the largest cause of habitat destruction and global food insecurity.

Of course, meat heads would have you believe that the .00001% of cattle that is raised on marginal lands is doing someone a favor. It is not. That land could be rehabilitated to produce plant protein instead of being further degraded to produce animal protein.

There's no excuse and your perspective is supported by ignorance alone.

I suggest you review the data again as you do not know of what you write. Most cattle grazing land in the United States and generally the world is unsuitable for crop production, therefor making land that has minimal impracticable use into practical use lands.

This topic is aimed at anyone who's spent time in the UK.

I've often heard that there's quite a difference between UK and US milk so I thought it was time to ask.
Have you been in the UK and tried our milk which is only from grass-fed cows (as far as I know we don't have any cows raised on corn as we don't have mighty corn surpluses) and if you have did you tase a difference and was it better or worse?

It's an honest question and all opinions are welcome.
Fire away.
I buy only grass fed milk. IMO, the taste is worth the extra buck or so I pay per half-gallon. No idea about UK milk though, I've never tried it.

Back
Top Bottom