• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

US and Russia Relationship

Squawker

Professor
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I always had my doubts about Putin because he always looked so stern and reserved. What did you all think of the interaction between Putin and Bush? Do you think this will have an impact on US/Russia relationship and where do you think it might lead?

Feb 25, 8:54 AM (ET)

By ANNE GEARAN
WASHINGTON (AP) - Vladimir Putin, the former KGB officer at the helm of Russia's fitful democratic experiment, and George Bush, leader of the world's most powerful democracy, delivered dueling civics lessons Thursday on the principles of free societies.
Though cordial as they stood side by side, Bush and Putin addressed serious differences over what the West views as erosion of recent democratic freedoms in Russia.
At a news conference following their lengthy meeting in Slovakia, the leaders at first highlighted agreements designed to counter the spread of both conventional and nuclear weapons.
Neither stuck to the script.
"I live in a transparent country," Bush said at one point. "I live in a country where decisions made by government are wide open."
"The implementation of the principles and norms of democracy should not be accompanied by the collapse of the state and the impoverishment of the people," Putin said at another point. "The implementation and the strengthening of democracy on the Russian soil should not jeopardize the concept of democracy."
The leaders were responding to reporters' questions, but their remarks contained implicit criticism of one another's systems and expectations.

Source

I truly believe that the US/Russia affairs is just about to start. Fifteen years ago, people of the world, especially those tied in with either country, were a little terrified as to what might happen between these two monstrous nations. Wondering whether it will someday get worse. Well, the worse is yet to come. And who is to blame for that? Democracy! Democracy was created on freedom, which went too far. Remember the old saying, "Give a man an inch, he'll take a mile"? Well, that is exactly what happened to democracy. Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that I am allowed to do certain things that I want to do, but I also want to be able to step outside my front door and not have to worry about some hardened criminal killing me, because he's not afraid of the court systems and that's because murderers have rights too. Democracy! I think there should be a refined medium between Communism and democracy, where you give a man an inch ... and that's all he gets. Why are certain nations, namely the US, so insistent on creating a world full of democracy? I think that Russia has seen what it is really like to live in a democracy and they had the opportunity to compare it to communism and they didn't like it. Now they see the biggest threat to Communism ... America ... and want to destroy it, or at least silence it before the Hand of Bush strikes.

Back
Top Bottom