• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Unions might have to pay more for healthcare

The difference is that healthcare premiums never jumped this much with so little benefit. It was also forced on the employers and employees without any choice given to them in the matter (other than moving to Indonesia).

Yeah, except that they haven't jumped "this much."

Examples:
ACA Premiums In Ohio Likely To Remain Stable - Top News - InsuranceNewsNet.com
91 percent of ACA enrollees in North Carolina will not pay higher premiums next year

How much lower could Obamacare premiums be with better competition?
If every insurer that had sold individual policies in 2011 participated in Affordable Care Act insurance marketplaces this past year, average premiums for a benchmark exchange health plan would have been 11.1 percent lower in 2014, the economists found.

i would want to do what was best for my membership. you know, negotiate. the very thing this thread whines about

The ironic component of this is that the ACA provisions are non-negotiable. The only negotiation is around who pays for it: employee unions or customers. The average employee has a good chance to lose either way.

Unions might have to pay more for healthcare

Fine by me. They wanted this guy to be POTUS.

also says the plan covers 120,000 people, 55,000 employees ad that spikes range from 5% to 12.5%
but this article is substantially without any definite numbers to compare and contrast
being a union official, even i would not accept the presentation of the union official who insists $26 million is the cost of additional coverage for the 14,000 young adults since 2011 (less than $500 per year, but i would still want to see the underlying data ... from management or labor)

This is dumb. You have no idea what has been exchanged between the employer and the Union, or what underlying data they have on what their costs are. Do you have a reason to doubt the Union rep other than that it makes you argument seem marginally less ignorant?

if her data is correct, is <$500 per year found an excessive premium for each added insured? don't know unless we know what the plan covers and what comparable insurers would charge

Well, first off, $26 million over 3 years for 14,000 dependents isn't less than $500/year (it's $530 for 3.5 years assuming they are counting from January 2011). Second, what difference does it make what is covered by the insurance? Are you hoping to find some non-mandated coverage that they can cut to save money?

are you trying to insist the employer and union could not agree to eliminate coverage and provide each employee an amount to fund individual plans, allowing each to secure coverage which works best for them
they could explore co-op plans, as provided for under Obamacare

From another thread, yeah, according to Obama's fly-by-the-seat-of-his-pants bull**** rules changes the Employers are not allowed to dump insurance. They face up to $36.5k per employee penalty for doing what you suggest.

The little dictator in the oval Office is making things very difficult for everyone.

as a long time union official, i would want to do what was best for my membership. you know, negotiate. the very thing this thread whines about

What would you negotiate, then? Because the options you have expressed so far are bunk.

wish i could hand it back to you, but don't have any idea what you are posting about. your failure to explain it must also be my problem

You argued that they could just dump coverage (they can't) and save money (they wouldn't) but then they should want to provide insurance (nobody said they didn't) for healthy employees (nobody argued the contrary) so it saves money (it doesn't).

The difference is that healthcare premiums never jumped this much with so little benefit. It was also forced on the employers and employees without any choice given to them in the matter (other than moving to Indonesia).

Before the ACA, companies never outsourced to other countries.

Conservatives are like roaches. They're coming out of the woodwork to opportunistically show their support to unions on this one issue. Once this smokescreen of faux outrage is over and done with and they'll go back to hiding in the shadows and hating unions again.

Conservatives are like roaches. They're coming out of the woodwork to opportunistically show their support to unions on this one issue. Once this smokescreen of faux outrage is over and done with and they'll go back to hiding in the shadows and hating unions again.

nope not at all. there is no support here it is just another lie that goes up for obama.

of course we have to pass it to know what is in it.

nope not at all. there is no support here it is just another lie that goes up for obama.

People have been saying for a long time that the unions weren't going to get a free pass on this. It's interesting to see conservatives gathering and trying to muster up support for unions to get exemptions to the ACA.

Last edited:

Where is this happening?

People have been saying for a long time that the unions weren't going to get a free pass on this. It's interesting to see conservatives gathering and trying to muster up support for unions to get exemptions to the ACA.

Which conservatives gathering where?

I see a pattern here, the unions were for it (since they were exempt) before they were against it.

Unions were never exempt from it.. Another lie from the right.

quote where anyone said this if not typical strawman.

This is dumb. You have no idea what has been exchanged between the employer and the Union, or what underlying data they have on what their costs are. Do you have a reason to doubt the Union rep other than that it makes you argument seem marginally less ignorant?
yes. a quarter century of service as a union rep in the federal sector. much of that time spent involved in contract negotiations. that causes me to doubt the union reps presentation as i believe she is posturing for the anticipated negotiations

Well, first off, $26 million over 3 years for 14,000 dependents isn't less than $500/year (it's $530 for 3.5 years assuming they are counting from January 2011).
2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014; four years' premiums
average of $6.5 million annually spread over 14,000 new insureds, at $500 annually that would be $7 million; thus my <$500 projection

Second, what difference does it make what is covered by the insurance?
you think dental care coverage would not increase the premium. how about lower co-pays. that you are unaware of this causes me to wonder if you have attained the age of emancipation

Are you hoping to find some non-mandated coverage that they can cut to save money?
remember, this is about negotiation of the assessment of costs of health insurance coverage. do you really think it would be wise to enter such negotiation without having researched the data that will be relied upon to make a convincing argument?

From another thread, yeah, according to Obama's fly-by-the-seat-of-his-pants bull**** rules changes the Employers are not allowed to dump insurance. They face up to $36.5k per employee penalty for doing what you suggest.

The little dictator in the oval Office is making things very difficult for everyone.

What would you negotiate, then? Because the options you have expressed so far are bunk.
do you find that the employees' union, agreeing to a different form of health insurance coverage is the equivalent of 'dumping workers'? i don't ... because the employees, thru their elected union representatives, have authorized the revision in coverage
additionally, as a union rep, i would try to get as much as possible for as little employee cost as possible. as an employer rep, i would negotiate to achieve the opposite

You argued that they could just dump coverage (they can't)
they can change the form of health care coverage if the union concurs in the modifications to the contract

and save money (they wouldn't)
that is possible if the changes result in a savings. but as i have stated before, the information available to us is incomplete

but then they should want to provide insurance (nobody said they didn't) for healthy employees (nobody argued the contrary) so it saves money (it doesn't).
then what we have are two parties in negotiation who both want as much coverage as possible at the least possible cost. the only issue in dispute is who pays for it

yes. a quarter century of service as a union rep in the federal sector. much of that time spent involved in contract negotiations. that causes me to doubt the union reps presentation as i believe she is posturing for the anticipated negotiations

So you have experience lying as a union rep so you expect the same from other Union reps?

2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014; four years' premiums
average of $6.5 million annually spread over 14,000 new insureds, at $500 annually that would be $7 million; thus my <$500 projection

2014 isn't even half over. The to-date cost wouldn't be 4 years.

you think dental care coverage would not increase the premium. how about lower co-pays. that you are unaware of this causes me to wonder if you have attained the age of emancipation

So what you are arguing is that Obamacare isn't raising the costs of health care, it's just lowering coverage for the same cost? Hah, yeah, take that to the people you represent.

remember, this is about negotiation of the assessment of costs of health insurance coverage. do you really think it would be wise to enter such negotiation without having researched the data that will be relied upon to make a convincing argument?

So you argue that union reps have researched the data to make a convincing argument... after saying that the Union reps argument isn't believable.

It's looking more and more like you simply don't want to believe it because it doesn't fit your argument.

do you find that the employees' union, agreeing to a different form of health insurance coverage is the equivalent of 'dumping workers'? i don't ... because the employees, thru their elected union representatives, have authorized the revision in coverage

Hah, you changed what you said. You are now arguing that Obamacare isn't a problem because the Unions and employers may be able to lower coverage? Again, I'm guessing this wasn't the goal of Obamacare. :roll:

additionally, as a union rep, i would try to get as much as possible for as little employee cost as possible. as an employer rep, i would negotiate to achieve the opposite

So? The trouble that you keep trying to dodge is that the Obamacare costs are something NEITHER SIDE WANTS TO PAY. It's a burden on both Union and Employer. Your argument that they can reduce cost by, what, cutting dental? It's absurd.

they can change the form of health care coverage if the union concurs in the modifications to the contract

Possibly. You are talking out of your ass. Any "change" that is made to offset the costs is, in reality, a reduction in coverage for the employee.

that is possible if the changes result in a savings. but as i have stated before, the information available to us is incomplete

The information is sufficient. In this negotiation the Union has had to pay an additional $26 million since the beginning of Obamacare mandates. That can't be reduced because the cost is incurred from a mandate. The only "cost reduction" is actually cutting benefits no matter how you look at it.

then what we have are two parties in negotiation who both want as much coverage as possible at the least possible cost. the only issue in dispute is who pays for it

Hey, welcome to the argument, JAB! Boy howdy that took you long enough! The problem is that the Obamacare mandates throw non-negotiable costs into the negotiation that can only be mitigated by lost revenue or lost benefits.

So you have experience lying as a union rep so you expect the same from other Union reps?
no. but i do have a quarter century of experience seeing union and management reps posture before and during negotiations

2014 isn't even half over. The to-date cost wouldn't be 4 years.
so, you don't think premiums need to be paid in 2014? my math included 2014, explaining how i arrived at my premium increase per added insured

So what you are arguing is that Obamacare isn't raising the costs of health care, it's just lowering coverage for the same cost? Hah, yeah, take that to the people you represent.
you were the one who established the position that it did not matter what was included in the plan under negotiation. here are your words:
Second, what difference does it make what is covered by the insurance?

So you argue that union reps have researched the data to make a convincing argument... after saying that the Union reps argument isn't believable.
what the rep says publicly and what the rep knows may very well be two different things. you seem not to realize that puffing is often a part of labor-management negotiations

It's looking more and more like you simply don't want to believe it because it doesn't fit your argument.
it's that i obviously have a lot more experience and expertise in this kind of environment than you and recognize that everything one of the parties says is not necessarily accurate. it's contract negotiations. an arena unsafe for naifs

Hah, you changed what you said. You are now arguing that Obamacare isn't a problem because the Unions and employers may be able to lower coverage? Again, I'm guessing this wasn't the goal of Obamacare. :roll:
duh! the contract negotiation is NOT about the intent of Obamacare

So? The trouble that you keep trying to dodge is that the Obamacare costs are something NEITHER SIDE WANTS TO PAY. It's a burden on both Union and Employer.
not dodging anything. explaining for you the realities of labor-management contract negotiations
neither side wants to absorb costs, but they negotiate something which is fair and reasonable to both parties or they impasse and allow an objective third party to split the baby

Your argument that they can reduce cost by, what, cutting dental? It's absurd.
that argument was never made. but the possibility may exist that it would be agreeable for both sides that the bargaining unit employees choose their own health coverage policy, one that works for each of them, and the employer benefits from a happier/healthier work force, and possibly saves money, too. but then maybe not as i cannot say with the very limited information available to us

Possibly. You are talking out of your ass. Any "change" that is made to offset the costs is, in reality, a reduction in coverage for the employee.
not necessarily. you jump to wrong conclusions much too readily
maybe the change is beneficial to the employee, where the coverage excludes the health care bells and whistles the employee expects never to require
if the parties agree on such an alternative then it could be a win-win for all the parties. the ideal negotiated result

The information is sufficient.
if it is then tell me who the carrier is presently and what the cost is per insured bargaining unit employee
tell me what the plan covers
what the copay is
then tell me what is comparable coverage and fee amounts offered by other prospective carriers
if you can do that, then i will agree with you that the presently available information is sufficient

In this negotiation the Union has had to pay an additional $26 million since the beginning of Obamacare mandates.
notice this has already been discussed. you cannot tell us what years that $26 million covered. you cannot tell us that this information is accurate since it was provided orally by a biased party to the contract negotiations, the union rep
again, you leap to conclusions that are not credible

That can't be reduced because the cost is incurred from a mandate. The only "cost reduction" is actually cutting benefits no matter how you look at it.
you do not understand impact and implementation. while the union cannot oppose a change in the law, such as one which extends insurance coverage to an insured's children thru age 25, the union has the ability (fiduciary responsibility, actually) to negotiate how those changes in conditions of employment will be dealt with

Hey, welcome to the argument, JAB! Boy howdy that took you long enough!
crazy talk there. you have focused your attention on the things you dislike about Obamacare while i have been addressing the tread topic: "Unions might have to pay more for healthcare"

The problem is that the Obamacare mandates throw non-negotiable costs into the negotiation that can only be mitigated by lost revenue or lost benefits.
those costs can be assigned to each of the parties, in whole or in part, via negotiations. this is not so different than negotiating any other aspect of terms and conditions of employment. hopefully, you can finally understand that reality

Before the ACA, companies never outsourced to other countries.

Never said anything about what they've done in the past, just what I predict we will see more of in the future. Force a additional cost on an employer with no benefit back to them and they'll cut other expenses to compensate. One way that will be used will be to out-source more jobs than are already being out-sourced. It's the good "Law of Unintended Consequences" that seems to haunt virtually everything the Left tries to do.

no. but i do have a quarter century of experience seeing union and management reps posture before and during negotiations [/uoqte]

You union reps sure have a lot of words for lying. You still haven't shown any reason to doubt her numbers though.

so, you don't think premiums need to be paid in 2014? my math included 2014, explaining how i arrived at my premium increase per added insured

They do need to be paid, but they aren't paid all up front.

you were the one who established the position that it did not matter what was included in the plan under negotiation. here are your words:

Because it doesn't for the purposes of establishing that the $26 million cost is an added burden from Obamacare. You saying that it's not a burden because they can give up other benefits in the negotiation isn't as compelling an argument as you seem to think.

what the rep says publicly and what the rep knows may very well be two different things. you seem not to realize that puffing is often a part of labor-management negotiations

Another word for lying that you have come up with. Lying for union reps is like "snow" to Eskimos.. so many different ways to say it. But you still haven't given a reason to doubt the numbers she has stated.

it's that i obviously have a lot more experience and expertise in this kind of environment than you and recognize that everything one of the parties says is not necessarily accurate. it's contract negotiations. an arena unsafe for naifs

You lie, I get that. You have no reason to doubt the numbers the Union Rep has stated. Who would be so stupid as to lie about something that is in writing? I guess your answer to that would be "Union Reps!"

duh! the contract negotiation is NOT about the intent of Obamacare

But the negotiations now have to included the added cost of Obamacare which, according to your own words, are to be remedied by reduction in benefits. For a Union rep you sure aren't very bright. I mean I know that you are a die hard Obama supporter and all, but you just aren't very good at arguing your point. YOu must have some light weight employers to deal with.... oh right, you deal with Democrat bureaucrats... 'nuf said there.

not dodging anything. explaining for you the realities of labor-management contract negotiations
neither side wants to absorb costs, but they negotiate something which is fair and reasonable to both parties or they impasse and allow an objective third party to split the baby

You aren't "explaining" anything JAB! You are trying to argue that Obamacare added costs are not a problem for labor negotiations because other benefits can be cut and reduced to make room for Obamacare costs. You don't see this as a problem because MAGIC!

that argument was never made. but the possibility may exist that it would be agreeable for both sides that the bargaining unit employees choose their own health coverage policy, one that works for each of them, and the employer benefits from a happier/healthier work force, and possibly saves money, too. but then maybe not as i cannot say with the very limited information available to us

They can't do that thanks Obamacare. The Employer has to provide group coverage.

You keep making Cpt. Obvious style proclamations that, I must warn you, do not require 25 years of Union Snow jobs to understand. What you fail to grasp is that $millions in added costs between the two sides WILL make negotiations harder. Maybe you are just soft from dealing with Public sector unions for a quarter of a century....

not necessarily. you jump to wrong conclusions much too readily
maybe the change is beneficial to the employee, where the coverage excludes the health care bells and whistles the employee expects never to require
if the parties agree on such an alternative then it could be a win-win for all the parties. the ideal negotiated result

It's funny because you talk about Union negotiations the way the rest of us talk about out old health insurance plans that we are not told were terrible. You are taking benefits away from Union workers in you virtual negotiation and then rationalizing that maybe they don't need them. This is funny given that one the benefits you have put on the virtual chopping block is dental coverage... who needs that, right?

The rest later.

Unions, employers square off over ObamaCare costs in collective bargaining | Fox News

as it stands while some employers are willing to pay a part of the so called ACA increase they are not going to foot the entire bill.
this has lead to several union contracts to stall.

more so public union contract which shouldn't be up for neogiation anyway.

some unions have threatened strikes. as companies struggle to meet the additional costs of the so called affordable healthcare act
they are wanting unions to pay more of the cost while they try to stay competative with other companies.

strike another one up for the disaster of the ACA.

Ah, is there any sector besides illegals that won't pay more under Obamacare?

Quo bono?

Who benefits? So far I see a Canadian computer company and the insurance industry...that's it

wow. thanks for bringing this faux news story to our attention:
unions and employers will have to negotiate conditions of employment
who would have guessed

According to you every single story about any one of Obama's errors is a "faux story"

Where did you get your Journalism degree?

This is really disingenuous. I can find plenty of reasons to hate the ACA without blaming it for the issues of rising costs that predated it.

Ah what?

"Rising costs that pre-dated it"? means what exactly in terms of the premium increases already a result of Obamacare?

What "rising costs" over and above the normal, and therefor foreseen costs? From what cause? The normal escalation of medicines and equipment, salaries, usual inflationary contributors or installed cost to off set changes....like the massive overhaul that was Obamacare?

Please cite the references, as I see this as new information and if true, cause for a whole new look at this and whether the brain trust called on by the White House forecast it accurately and took measures to ease the transition. I actually would like to see a hint that any of the Obamacare team ever actually spoke to a health economist.

From what I've seen so far, they wrote a law based on what Obama hoped would happen.

Ah, I have no special fondness for conservatives, but roaches?

I don't see anywhere here where "conservatives" are coming out of the woodwork to "support" unions, rather laughing at them while pointing out yet another obstacle for Obamacare and further intrusion/impact on the already suffering economy.

Instead of the "faux outrage" exhibited here by the left in constantly assuring all concerned it is yet another "Faux story" as though them saying it somehow makes it true....when, really, expecting anyone to believe a Jay Carney parrot is ludicrous, perhaps a pause in allowing for that, the seemingly odds-against impossibility, maybe once in a millenia that Barrack Hussein Obama could have possibly, maybe accidently made a mistake.

Look, when any government plans changes to a tax structure they are required to take a look at the downstream effects, the impact on whom, what sectors, demographics, and do a cost benefit analysis. Along with that, they have to study and weigh the impact, negative or positive on the economy BEFORE implementing.

Instead, what I see is a very flawed piece of lugubrious legislation that was rammed through and delayed only for political reasons, which announces to the world theyknew there would be some negative impact....

And now, going on two years, before we have seen the impact of the mandates, we see this, the IRS now fining people because of an unforeseen loophole, 60% of the 9 million sign up are of questionable authenticity and the best the left can do is harp at "conservatives" this and "conservatives" that. I am sorry, but "conservatives have not passed a bill nor signed a law in nearly six years...it's time to step up to the plate and admit the failures are yours.

Many right-wingers were lying by claiming that unions were going to get exemptions when the ACA was first passed. It was a patently false statement from the very beginning and these false accusations were frequently rebuffed.

Now low and behold, unions are doing what they've been doing since the beginning of their existence and trying to negotiate lower rates that they will pay. This is because unions are not getting exemptions, something many people have been pointing out for years.

What I'm surprised about is how conservatives are outraged that unions are not getting exemptions. Unions were never going to get exemptions. The notion of unions getting exemptions was a lie perpetuated by people who blindingly opposed the ACA. I can only assume that conservatives are bringing it up because they want unions to have exemptions. After all a multitude of people have been saying for years that unions would not get exemptions.

Nobody should be surprised by unions not getting exemptions except people who believe the exemption lies to begin with. Otherwise this is just a non-story to people who were paying attention. This can't be stressed enough: the only people who actually thought there would be union exemptions were the people who were not paying attention.

The "unions are exempt!" canard was a rightwing talking point.

Turns out passing the law revealed the right's lie to be exactly that. As promised!

Back
Top Bottom