• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ukraine No Fly Zone?- Yes or No

It's sickening watching the crisis unfold.

The hardest lesson I've learnt in life is that I can't save everyone.

Do you support sending American aircraft to enforce no fly zone in Ukraine?

There you have it.
I do support it. I think we should of given them our retired aircraft so they could implement it and I think the EU should provide them the backup they need to enforce it.

Integrityrespect:

Russia has a veto on the UN Security Council, so no UN mandated No-Fly Zone is going to be authorised by the UN.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.
I'm not sure of all the why's and what for's but I listened to a retired US General who both commanded troops and worked in several White House administrations discuss this today. He went over the UN proceedure. This situation is different for some reason and I don't know all the details. Wish I'd listened a bit better. Russia would not get a vote because they are the offender, and he talked about a reason that China would also be expected to recuse themsleves. Leaving the Security Council without those two to influence the vote, and it only needs 9 votes to pass. So it is possible.

Here's part of it, but there were 2 specific UN resolutions that would have to be used.

No way.

Not our problem. Not our ally.

However I would welcome any Ukrainians who wish to come to America. Would be a nice change from the more recent refugees we have been getting.

Yes.

Just kidding….no.

Way to screw up the poll. You could have edited it, or deleted the thread and started over. You should definitely be in charge during all our crisis.

I want to augment my answer: If the Russian Army indiscriminately shells or bombs Ukrainian nuclear facilities which could lead to a meltdown, I think it would be incumbent on NATO to attack Russian forces. But it would be limited only to those forces directly attacking the facility with the apparent intent to destroy it.

I think attacking nuclear facilities and creating radioactive fallout that endangers Europe on a wider scale would have to force European nations at the very least do something.
I couldn't believe the Russians were stupid enough to shell a nuclear facility - also wonder at the stupidity of the tank commanders who were aiming shells at the site itself. Like poking a hungry shark with a stick - the only safe distance to do such a stupid thing is the other side of the world.

I’m conflicted, whatever passive measures remain should be levied without delay and monitor what that does. All reports I have heard state that Putin and his supporters will continue the war crimes. I see a pay now or pay later scenario. After Georgia and Crimea we are already on the back foot, imo.

I'm not sure of all the why's and what for's but I listened to a retired US General who both commanded troops and worked in several White House administrations discuss this today. He went over the UN proceedure. This situation is different for some reason and I don't know all the details. Wish I'd listened a bit better. Russia would not get a vote because they are the offender, and he talked about a reason that China would also be expected to recuse themsleves. Leaving the Security Council without those two to influence the vote, and it only needs 9 votes to pass. So it is possible.
IR:

Your response is too vague for me to evaluate. But this may shed some light on what you may be getting at.

Basically if you can suspend Russia from the UN then you can prevent it from using its veto. But that is an iffy procedure if that's what your retired US General was getting at. There is only one real precedent - South Africa and SA was not a permanent member of the UN Security Council. Furthermore the Rusdian representatives are already accredited so the General Assembly cannot question their credentials until Russia appoints new representatives.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

IR:

Your response is too vague for me to evaluate. But this may shed some light on what you may be getting at.

Basically if you can suspend Russia from the UN then you can prevent it from using its veto. But that is an iffy procedure if that's what your retired US General was getting at. There is only one real precedent - South Africa and SA was not a permanent member of the UN Security Council. Furthermore the Rusdian representatives are already accredited so the General Assembly cannot question their credentials until Russia appoints new representatives.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.
Meh. I think you might have to suspend both Russia and China to get something addressing the Ukraine issue through the UN Security Council.

No. It is my understanding that such a No Fly Zone would require American aircraft to not only shoot down Russian aircraft which violate the airspace, but to also attack any anti-aircraft defenses that might target our aircraft. Including if those defenses are on Russian soil. So, no. Such a proposal would almost certainly lead to a hot war between NATO and the Russian Federation.
That's a good point. I forget about that..that would taking involve the us attacking Russian soil.

Maybe, will Pooten be satisfied with pounding Ukraine’s infrastructure to rubble? Or will he feel spunky & go on to the next country. If you think that is probable, when will the world conclude that he’s just ****in’ crazy insane & try then to stop him?

Back
Top Bottom