• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

UK Parliament overwhelmingly rejects May's Brexit deal

Unfortunately, I tend to vote Conservative more often than not. The EU has been toxic to us for 45+ years because UK politicians (originally the Conservative party) mis-sold our membership of the EEC as simply a trading bloc.
In all that time, no anti-EEC politician ever really addressed that "original sin."
Nothing was mis-sold. The EEC and EU are primarily a trade and cooperation bloc.

Sent from my Honor 8X using Tapatalk

I remember a referendum and soon it will be time to pay the piper for that error. This is why we don’t place international relations directly into the hands of the electorate. Profoundly stupid things happen when you govern by referendum.

You mean populism can produce disastrous results? Whodathunkit! ;)

Along with Cameron. History will not be kind to David Cameron. He will be remembered as the British Prime Minister who made the worst move of any Prime Minister in the 21st Century.

If you mean the referendum - yes, the questions could have been much clearer. How we leave was never explained and all types of snake oil salespeople said leaving would be easy. For me, the worst decision made was changing the rules so that Theresa May could be defeated by 230 votes and not feel obliged to resign and call a general election.

However, nearly every Conservative PM has been brought down by the subject of our membership of Europe. Cameron was probably in a very weak position over this and completely misjudged the effect of 45 years of lies by various politicians about Europe. This was a boil that had to be lanced - too many politicians have blamed and lied about Europe and we really needed a "reset" to understand what membership of the EU truly meant.

~ We have rebates not given to any other member, and sit at the top table. We get back in investment, far more than we pay as a member ~

You forget I voted Remain. I am however a democrat and if we had won, I would expect Brexiteers to honour the vote. My personal opinion is that we may be back in 15 years begging to be let back in but this time, we will have no rebates or special agreements because of Brexit.

Nothing was mis-sold. The EEC and EU are primarily a trade and cooperation bloc.

You going to say British governments and politicians haven't lied about what the EU is or haven't blamed the EU for our internal mistakes for 45 years?

You going to say British governments and politicians haven't lied about what the EU is or haven't blamed the EU for our internal mistakes for 45 years?

No, I am saying that the EEC was sold as a trade union and it fundementaly still is.

The British are poster boys for using the EEC/EU as an excuse for their own failed policies.

Sent from my Honor 8X using Tapatalk

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...rexit-deal-with-eu/ar-BBSgjjh?ocid=spartandhp

The UK's exit from Brexit is supposed to occur in 73 days, but thus far a deal which will preserve the UK's existing trade deals and solidify it's future relationship with the EU is nowhere to be found. Without a deal going forward, the UK faces economic chaos come March 29th as the UK will have to re-negotiate it's long standing economic ties to Europe.

Read along the bottom(excuse the Pun,intended) of a Public Toilet Door in London.....YOU HAVE JUST GIVEN BIRTH TO "TERESA MAY"

I thought it quite amusing considering,no doubt you have thousands in America but just the name has been changed to..."DONALD TRUMP"

This train wreck... err, Brexit deal... is going to be a political fiasco for them for years to come.

this is just the start of it as the UK crumbles apart ... Brexit has been a total clusterf*ck it has paralysed the whole islands as it has consumed everything in it's wake

Our 2016 decision wasn't made by the people.

I disagree. It was made by the people using the electoral system in place to choose a president. If one doesn't like that system that's one thing, but people went out and voted and a president was elected.

Considering that Brexit was mostly fueled by right wing hate. I think this is the best option...

That's a bull**** answer. "Right wing hate" sounds like something they teach in leftwing debate school? BREXIT was fueled by the corruption of the EU govt, and how they are taking the EU down the drain. The UK is tired of being one of the few paying the bills for the other idiot countries who can't. They're tired of the refugee policy forcing members to take on refugees against their will.

No, I am saying that the EEC was sold as a trade union and it fundementaly still is ~

The EEC was also about union in more ways than just economic or trade. It was this other bit that you know as well as I do that UK politicians minimised and THAT is why you've had the disaster and lies blaming the EU for British mistakes.

The EEC was also about union in more ways than just economic or trade. It was this other bit that you know as well as I do that UK politicians minimised and THAT is why you've had the disaster and lies blaming the EU for British mistakes.

You cant have trade or a common market without compromises. Even under WTO rules there are conditions to be met to do just basic trade with other nations. Now I would agree with that politicians are piss poor in explaining things and it is so easy for the anti-EU crowd to attack.. because people tend to believe more in negative things than actual facts (human nature) when they dont understand stuff.

I disagree. It was made by the people using the electoral system in place to choose a president. If one doesn't like that system that's one thing, but people went out and voted and a president was elected.

It is foolish to disagree with a obvious fact.

You cant have trade or a common market without compromises. Even under WTO rules there are conditions to be met to do just basic trade with other nations. Now I would agree with that politicians are piss poor in explaining things and it is so easy for the anti-EU crowd to attack.. because people tend to believe more in negative things than actual facts (human nature) when they dont understand stuff.

Look, trade bodies across different countries can and do exist without free movement of people, monetary union etc etc. At it's most basic - a custom's union can be about common tariffs on goods from outside and removing tariffs on goods within.
Why are you wriggling around this basic fact? Not all customs unions are based on the EU - they existed before and will do after the EU.

Back
Top Bottom