• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.S. SUVs are sixth worse source of carbon emissions

Cool. Cars might have to have carbon fiber bodies and frames to reduce weight and still meet crash test standatds.

Starting price maybe $100k?

I suspect SUVs will still be excluded, do we will see aven more gas guzzlers on the road...
Carbon fiber has been used in street cars for over 20 years, but only on exotics and high end luxury cars. The McLaren F1 was the first car to have a carbon fiber monocoque. Ferrari, Porsche, Bugatti, Lamborghini Lotus and Koenigsegg do at this time.

The McLaren F1 was an early example of a production road car using a complete carbon fibre reinforced polymer (CFRP) monocoque chassis structure. Aluminium and magnesium were used for attachment points for the suspension system, inserted directly into the CFRP

Carbon fiber has been used in street cars for over 20 years, but only on exotics and high end luxury cars. The McLaren F1 was the first car to have a carbon fiber monocoque. Ferrari, Porsche, Bugatti, Lamborghini Lotus and Koenigsegg do at this time.

And how is the average consumer going to afford it?

And how is the average consumer going to afford it?
The McLaren F1 is a 5 million dollar exotic collector car, if you can find one.

The price of raw CFRC is not to the point where it can be used in common cars because of the high manufacturing cost per kilogram. Its very expensive to create and the structures are not easy to fabricate. It is also not reparable in most situations.

The C8 Corvette uses a lot of carbon fiber for light weight. IIRC.

Aluminum or certain plastics are the current light weight wonder materials for most vehicles. Neither can easily be repaired.

The McLaren F1 is a 5 million dollar exotic collector car, if you can find one.

The price of raw CFRC is not to the point where it can be used in common cars because of the high manufacturing cost per kilogram. Its very expensive to create and the structures are not easy to fabricate.

The C8 Corvette uses a lot of carbon fiber for light weight. IIRC.

It is also not reparable in most situations. Aluminum or certain plastics are the current light weight wonder materials for most vehicles. Neither can easily be repaired.
How do you think car manufactures will met the ridiculous mileage standards the Trump removed, and Biden reinstated? How nuch will a model 2026 end up costing?

How do you think car manufactures will met the ridiculous mileage standards the Trump removed, and Biden reinstated? How nuch will a model 2026 end up costing?
There is not just one simple or single addition/change that will meet those mileage requirements, but remember those are CAFE averages and not every vehicle has to meet that mileage requirement. There will be a lot of hybrids and electric cars sold.

We have the technology to build a CFRC Ford Explorer SUV, Toyota Prius, or F150 but you couldn't afford it and I doubt that you would like how it rides because of the light weight and extreme stiffness.

Last edited:
The 220 million gas-powered SUVs on U.S. roads equal the total combined carbon emissions of Britain and Germany and constitute the sixth highest air pollution source globally. Purchases of SUVs in the United States soared from 2o percent of all vehicles in 2012 to 46 percent in 2022, according to the International Energy Agency, as reported in the March 5 issue of the San Francisco Chronicle.

But you won’t find anyone in the Biden administration urging people to pick more fuel-efficient sedans over SUVs, or encouraging people to buy smaller vehicles, or urging people to drive less. All they talk about is electric car infrastructure, even though internal combustion engines will be with us for many years to come.
Where does private jets emissions fall on that list?

LOL...

Look. It has many valid points. The problem is, I don't like any material that interjects falsehoods. When you trust the material with conformation bias, you lose sight of reality and fall for the misrepresentations too.

Were you a Rush Limbaugh listener? He would state fact after fact, but in the end, was misleading about some things.

LOL. You're looking at prices. Sounds like a Limbaugh listener. Zero knowledge about science.

Another worthless forum member for my ignore list.

LOL. You're looking at prices. Sounds like a Limbaugh listener. Zero knowledge about science.

Another worthless forum member for my ignore list.
I listened to him about 30 years ago for a short time until I saw how he used facts to mix in polarizing viewpoints. Long on the past now. You are falling for Limbaugh's tricks.

And for every person like you who has a valid use case for an SUV or massive gas-guzzling truck, there are 10 suburban households who never do anything remotely along those lines, and have them because they think station wagons and minivans are for nerds. (And not the good kind of nerd.)
The problem is if you can only afford 1 vehicle the SUV or extra cab PU 4 wheel drive is the vehicle that can do it all. It doesn't burn much gas for the average person going 1 mile to the grocery store then picking up the kids at school. Then it is great for loading all the gear and going fishing or the beech. I live in a rural area and plan to retire even further out in the country. I will most likely have a 1 ton diesel pickup and and SUV.

I have no use for an eclectic vehicle nor a small car. Everyone in my family are big people and we don't fit in most of these little cars. My 90+ year old aunt is 5'10" and she can't even get into a lot of these small efficient cars. I had an accent and I had to make multiple trips because nobody could get in the back seat. Not a problem in my SUV. I am looking forward to moving up to a Grand Wagoneer or a Suburban. I figure I can pick up a 100g fully loaded one in 5 years for 25g with low mileage. Especially with the way these democrats drive up fuel prices and tax everyone.

Trust me. I know far more on this topic than the average person. I would like to se CO2 reach 600 ppm.

Lots of Russians would like to see that. Imagine what a great economic boon a warm, fertile Siberia will be for all of you.

Actually, the US consists of just 4.2% of the world's population, and it consumes 20% of the world's oil production in order to consume 30% of the planet's wealth.

FTFY

You can get a late-model Prius for just over $20k.

The 220 million gas-powered SUVs on U.S. roads equal the total combined carbon emissions of Britain and Germany and constitute the sixth highest air pollution source globally. Purchases of SUVs in the United States soared from 2o percent of all vehicles in 2012 to 46 percent in 2022, according to the International Energy Agency, as reported in the March 5 issue of the San Francisco Chronicle.

But you won’t find anyone in the Biden administration urging people to pick more fuel-efficient sedans over SUVs, or encouraging people to buy smaller vehicles, or urging people to drive less. All they talk about is electric car infrastructure, even though internal combustion engines will be with us for many years to come.

But more CO2 is good for the biosphere by whatever observed scientifically established and factual measure you take so dont fall for the current progressive elitist anti human propaganda ;)

Actually, all you've demonstrated is your ignorance. :rolleyes:

Oh really? What did I get wrong? Are you going to tell me now that the US is a net exporter?

You can get a late-model Prius for just over $20k.
It's real funny. Beside gas millage, a Prius tells people they emit less greenhouse gases. Sure, that's true, but the emit more N2O than my Camaro. You never see these numbers, because its an inconvenient fact. The AGW cult complains about CH4 having a GWP of 82. Guess what. N2O has a GWP of 273.

It's real funny. Beside gas millage, a Prius tells people they emit less greenhouse gases. Sure, that's true, but the emit more N2O than my Camaro. You never see these numbers, because its an inconvenient fact. The AGW cult complains about CH4 having a GWP of 82. Guess what. N2O has a GWP of 273.

We'll never see those numbers because it's probably not true or significant. Which would explain why you cited no source for your claim.

We'll never see those numbers because it's probably not true or significant. Which would explain why you cited no source for your claim.
The IPCC WG1 AR6 on page 1017 and other places has those facts.

1679413510525.png

Perhaps you do not read enough, the problem has been discussed broadly, a quick search turned up,
2023 Prius Carbon Footprint: Shocking Fact About Toyota Emissions
I think the problem is the engine in not on long enough to come up to the temperatures needed
for the catalytic converter to work properly, so it is always running like a cold engine.

Perhaps you do not read enough, the problem has been discussed broadly, a quick search turned up,
2023 Prius Carbon Footprint: Shocking Fact About Toyota Emissions
I think the problem is the engine in not on long enough to come up to the temperatures needed
for the catalytic converter to work properly, so it is always running like a cold engine.
Yes, it has to do with the engine cycling on and off, and the cats not staying hot. Your link however addresses source of electricity for the plug-in Prius. Not just N2O, but NOx and unburnt hydrocarbons.

Hybrids are not the ecological car people think they are. Sure, the use less gas and produce less CO2, but they produce more pollutants.

Notice they only mention CO2 and act as if other greenhouse gasses and pollutants don;'t exist...

That's a great screenshot, but it doesn't actually come close to backing up your claim.
As for N2O having a greater GWP than methane. Absolutely. I have seen the numbers some years back regarding vehicle N2O and NOx emissions, but now, search engines don't give the results.

Do you know how a catalytic converter works and why it need to stay hot to work?

Do you think an engine cycling on and off keeps it sufficiently hot?

Last edited:
Yes, it has to do with the engine cycling on and off, and the cats not staying hot. Your link however addresses source of electricity for the plug-in Prius. Not just N2O, but NOx and unburnt hydrocarbons.

Hybrids are not the ecological car people think they are. Sure, the use less gas and produce less CO2, but they produce more pollutants.

Notice they only mention CO2 and act as if other greenhouse gasses and pollutants don;'t exist...

It also shows that it has a much lower C02 footprint than a 100% gas-powered car in almost every single state, and indicates indirectly that the solution, for states where the difference is not that great, is less fossil-fuel-based electricity generation.

It also shows that it has a much lower C02 footprint than a 100% gas-powered car in almost every single state, and indicates indirectly that the solution, for states where the difference is not that great, is less fossil-fuel-based electricity generation.
So?

CO2 is not a pollutant, and a vital component in the atmosphere for life.

Back
Top Bottom