• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.S. Supreme Court to hear pipeline company's bid to seize New Jersey land

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Supreme Court on Wednesday agreed to hear a bid by a consortium of energy companies seeking to seize land owned by the state of New Jersey to build a $1 billion natural gas pipeline.

The justices agreed to take up an appeal by PennEast Pipeline Company LLC, a joint venture backed by energy companies including Enbridge Inc, of a lower court ruling in favor of New Jersey’s government, which opposed the land seizure.

Other companies in the consortium for the 120-mile (190-km) pipeline from Pennsylvania to New Jersey include South Jersey Industries Inc, New Jersey Resources Corp (NJR), Southern Co and UGI Corp.
===========================================================
This is gas from fracking in the Marcellus Shale in part of PA. I've driven near the proposed route & nearly every home you pass has an anti-pipeline sign.

Central NJ is a maze of pipelines. I got interested in this some years back when the Norfolk Southern railroad was building a new passing siding not far from my house. I saw a huge truck parked near the the RR ROW just a few feet from a gas pipeline with a sign saying not to park heavy vehicles there. I contacted the gas company & the local pols & no one wanted to do anything. I also found out that all information about these pipelines is held as secret. The volunteer fire companies may have some info but as far as I could find no map of the county's gas pipelines exist for public access.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Supreme Court on Wednesday agreed to hear a bid by a consortium of energy companies seeking to seize land owned by the state of New Jersey to build a $1 billion natural gas pipeline.

The justices agreed to take up an appeal by PennEast Pipeline Company LLC, a joint venture backed by energy companies including Enbridge Inc, of a lower court ruling in favor of New Jersey’s government, which opposed the land seizure.

Other companies in the consortium for the 120-mile (190-km) pipeline from Pennsylvania to New Jersey include South Jersey Industries Inc, New Jersey Resources Corp (NJR), Southern Co and UGI Corp.
===========================================================
This is gas from fracking in the Marcellus Shale in part of PA. I've driven near the proposed route & nearly every home you pass has an anti-pipeline sign.

Central NJ is a maze of pipelines. I got interested in this some years back when the Norfolk Southern railroad was building a new passing siding not far from my house. I saw a huge truck parked near the the RR ROW just a few feet from a gas pipeline with a sign saying not to park heavy vehicles there. I contacted the gas company & the local pols & no one wanted to do anything. I also found out that all information about these pipelines is held as secret. The volunteer fire companies may have some info but as far as I could find no map of the county's gas pipelines exist for public access.
Is this an example of a private corporate interest trying to exercise eminent domain?

Is this an example of a private corporate interest trying to exercise eminent domain?

Yes. Check the article. I do not think that a private company can seize state-owned land.

Fracking has multiple down sides & one is the need to build pipelines to get the gas to consumers.

Yes. Check the article. I do not think that a private company can seize state-owned land.

Fracking has multiple down sides & one is the need to build pipelines to get the gas to consumers.
I agree. If we don't think fracking chemicals are entering our aquifers, we just aren't thinking.

I agree. If we don't think fracking chemicals are entering our aquifers, we just aren't thinking.

Two additional fracking down sides: pollution of water & land with the chemicals that they inject into wells, and the methane that escapes into the atmosphere as many fracking operations don't have refrigeration equipment capable of capturing the very volatile gas. Methane is a potent greenhouse gas, adding to the burden from cattle farts.

Who would want land in New Jersey?

Two additional fracking down sides: pollution of water & land with the chemicals that they inject into wells, and the methane that escapes into the atmosphere as many fracking operations don't have refrigeration equipment capable of capturing the very volatile gas. Methane is a potent greenhouse gas, adding to the burden from cattle farts.
...,and defrosting permafrost and melting ice and...
1612381159370.png

Back
Top Bottom