• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.S. offers to remove Sudan from terror blacklist for $330M

TU Curmudgeon

B.A. (Sarc), LLb. (Lex Sarcasus), PhD (Sarc.)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From United Press International

Aug. 26 (UPI) -- The Trump administration has angered the government in Sudan by asking for $330 million in exchange for removal from the U.S. blacklist of nations that sponsor terrorism.

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo proposed the exchange during a visit to Khartoum on Tuesday. It was the first visit to Sudan by an American secretary of state since 2005.

Pompeo said the money would be compensation for victims of al-Qaida terrorist attacks, which include the bombings at U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania in 1998. The United States says Sudan had provided a safe haven for al-Qaida operatives.

The U.S. administration has discussed removing Sudan from the blacklist for years but has insisted that outstanding legal claims must first be settled. Sudan has previously agreed to pay compensation to relatives of the 17 U.S. troops who were killed in an al-Qaida attack on the USS Cole in Yemen in 2000.

Sudan is one of four nations on the U.S. list, including Iran, North Korea and Syria. Sudan was put on the blacklist in 1993.

COMMENT:-

It's so nice to see politicians sticking by their principles.

Now, would the US government provide the toll-free number that Iran, the DPRK, Syria, al-Qa'eda, and ISISISISILDAESHWHATEVER can call to get a quote for what it would cost them to be removed from the "Terror Blacklist" as well? I tried the old number "202-227-463" ("202-cash4me") but it appears to be out of service and when I tried to call "202-357-7867" ("202-DJTRUMP") the line was always busy.

From United Press International

Aug. 26 (UPI) -- The Trump administration has angered the government in Sudan by asking for $330 million in exchange for removal from the U.S. blacklist of nations that sponsor terrorism.

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo proposed the exchange during a visit to Khartoum on Tuesday. It was the first visit to Sudan by an American secretary of state since 2005.

Pompeo said the money would be compensation for victims of al-Qaida terrorist attacks, which include the bombings at U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania in 1998. The United States says Sudan had provided a safe haven for al-Qaida operatives.

The U.S. administration has discussed removing Sudan from the blacklist for years but has insisted that outstanding legal claims must first be settled. Sudan has previously agreed to pay compensation to relatives of the 17 U.S. troops who were killed in an al-Qaida attack on the USS Cole in Yemen in 2000.

Sudan is one of four nations on the U.S. list, including Iran, North Korea and Syria. Sudan was put on the blacklist in 1993.

COMMENT:-

It's so nice to see politicians sticking by their principles.

Now, would the US government provide the toll-free number that Iran, the DPRK, Syria, al-Qa'eda, and ISISISISILDAESHWHATEVER can call to get a quote for what it would cost them to be removed from the "Terror Blacklist" as well? I tried the old number "202-227-463" ("202-cash4me") but it appears to be out of service and when I tried to call "202-357-7867" ("202-DJTRUMP") the line was always busy.

From your own citation:

The U.S. administration has discussed removing Sudan from the blacklist for years but has insisted that outstanding legal claims must first be settled.
U.S. offers to remove Sudan from terror blacklist for $330M - UPI.com

So our government is not "selling" the removal from the list. It is offering a settlement agreement amount for the reparations.

Thus this Administration is sticking by it's principles.

Try again? :coffeepap:

So they have to pay compensation for terrorism before they get taken off the list...

and the problem is....what?

Back
Top Bottom