• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

U.N. Demands Control Of Internet

F41

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
The U.N. feels they should control what information you should have. They have decided to raise the issue of taking the internet out of America`s hands, the ones who created the internet. No, not Al Gore, "The Internet was born out of a U.S. military project to ensure reliable communications in the event of nuclear war"

The most corrupted political body wants control of you, what you should know, and what you should not.

Breaking America's grip on the net

After troubled negotiations in Geneva, the US may be forced to relinquish control of the internet to a coalition of governments

Kieren McCarthy
Thursday October 6, 2005
The Guardian

You would expect an announcement that would forever change the face of the internet to be a grand affair - a big stage, spotlights, media scrums and a charismatic frontman working the crowd.

But unless you knew where he was sitting, all you got was David Hendon's slightly apprehensive voice through a beige plastic earbox. The words were calm, measured and unexciting, but their implications will be felt for generations to come.

Hendon is the Department for Trade and Industry's director of business relations and was in Geneva representing the UK government and European Union at the third and final preparatory meeting for next month's World Summit on the Information Society. He had just announced a political coup over the running of the internet.

And it apeares they just may succeed.

Much to the distress of the US, the idea proved popular. Its representative hit back, stating that it "can't in any way allow any changes" that went against the "historic role" of the US in controlling the top level of the internet.

But the refusal to budge only strengthened opposition, and now the world's governments are expected to agree a deal to award themselves ultimate control. It will be officially raised at a UN summit of world leaders next month and, faced with international consensus, there is little the US government can do but acquiesce.

Welcome to United Nations World Domination

They will fail. The internet is like the Wild West of modern times. there is no way you can keep information regulated.

ThePhoenix said:
The U.N. feels they should control what information you should have. They have decided to raise the issue of taking the internet out of America`s hands, the ones who created the internet. No, not Al Gore, "The Internet was born out of a U.S. military project to ensure reliable communications in the event of nuclear war"

The most corrupted political body wants control of you, what you should know, and what you should not.

How do you mean the U.S. can't do anything? We are permanent members of the U.N. security council and as such we are entitled to our guaranteed veto under the U.N. charter, if we don't want it to happen it's not going to happen. That being said **** the U.N..

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
How do you mean the U.S. can't do anything? We are permanent members of the U.N. security council and as such we are entitled to our guaranteed veto under the U.N. charter, if we don't want it to happen it's not going to happen. That being said **** the U.N..
I truly hope you are correct Trajan Octavian Titus, but the endorsement by the E.U. to take international authority in creating an Internet Governing Body is what concerns me. It also seems quite ironic that countries who do not believe in freedom of speech are the ones who are pushing for an Internet Governing Body proposal, however the U.S. seems to be fighting it tooth and nail by the article posted below. Your point on U.S. veto power is duly noted and helps to ease my concerns...but can they really take international authority over the matter?

U.S. May Face World at Internet Governance Summit

ThePhoenix said:
I truly hope you are correct Trajan Octavian Titus, but the endorsement by the E.U. to take international authority in creating an Internet Governing Body is what concerns me. It also seems quite ironic that countries who do not believe in freedom of speech are the ones who are pushing for an Internet Governing Body proposal, however the U.S. seems to be fighting it tooth and nail by the article posted below. Your point on U.S. veto power is duly noted and helps to ease my concerns...but can they really take international authority over the matter?

U.S. May Face World at Internet Governance Summit

Any proposal by the U.N. is subject to a Security Council veto and it only takes one country to veto for the proposal to be scrapped the permanent members of the security council are: China, Russia, Britian, France, and the U.S. There are also a number of others on the council from all around the world who are replaced once per year.

ThePhoenix said:

I doubt they will succeed.

Those who want control of the Internet can develop their own.

MiamiFlorida said:
Those who want control of the Internet can develop their own.

I don`t think it is a matter of controlling their own internet but a desire to control the world media and speech. If they were to gain the control they could and would limit your speech, and free speech will become the past.

In order for the U.N. to form a one world government, speech must be limited and or restrained from the people. I believe this to be their motive and ultimate goal over the internet.

ThePhoenix said:
I don`t think it is a matter of controlling their own internet but a desire to control the world media and speech. If they were to gain the control they could and would limit your speech, and free speech will become the past.

In order for the U.N. to form a one world government, speech must be limited and or restrained from the people. I believe this to be their motive and ultimate goal over the internet.

It is the opposite they want to wrestle it from US hands so it wont and cant be stifled

as American MEDIA now is sifled
America's media is no linger free
the people have lost alot of their freedoms and
the world doesnt want a facist state like AMERICA controlling the world wide web
in fact people should dump MICROSOft ,windows is a window on the world for the CIA+FBI with their secret codes they see all

gordon said:
It is the opposite they want to wrestle it from US hands so it wont and cant be stifled

as American MEDIA now is sifled
America's media is no linger free
the people have lost alot of their freedoms and
the world doesnt want a facist state like AMERICA controlling the world wide web
in fact people should dump MICROSOft ,windows is a window on the world for the CIA+FBI with their secret codes they see all

Hey canuck hows it going?

Though I am against any control by any form of world government that is inclined to limit speech that opposes their views, saying America is fascist is going a little far. I am just a little tired of having to listen to other countries complain about the U.S. when usually our troops are there. Feel free to express your views, but at least make your accusations logical.

Back
Top Bottom