• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Two arrested in London - enslaved three women for 30 years

Infinite Chaos

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Three women have been "rescued" from a house in south London as police investigate claims they were held as slaves for about 30 years.Police arrested two suspects, a 67-year-old man and a 67-year-old woman.
Last month officers were contacted by Freedom Charity after it received a call from a woman saying she had been held against her will for decades.
A Malaysian woman, 69, an Irish woman, 57, and a British woman, 30, were all rescued from the house, police said. Link

WTF?

I've seen pictures and video of illegal immigrants living spaces in London which amounted to de facto slave conditions but this article is about at least two citizens of the continent kept as slaves in London.

How did the couple keep it secret for so long?

WTF?

I've seen pictures and video of illegal immigrants living spaces in London which amounted to de facto slave conditions but this article is about at least two citizens of the continent kept as slaves in London.

Just because slavery is illegal now doesn't mean it doesn't exist. How, indeed, do they keep it a secret for decades? Here on this side of the pond, there is the Jaycee Dugard story, and others. No doubt there are slaves being kept all over the civilized world.

Surely there is an anti-Muslim angle to this story?

Nah, it's back to anti-Communist.

Apparently they were part of a Maoist commune that preyed on overseas students.

Nah, it's back to anti-Communist.

Apparently they were part of a Maoist commune that preyed on overseas students.

I thought you were kidding at first then I read the BBC website...

[h=1]London slavery case: Suspects 'former Maoist activists'[/h]A married couple suspected of holding three women as slaves for more than 30 years are former Maoist activists Aravindan Balakrishnan and his wife Chanda, the BBC understands.
According to Marxist archives they were leading figures at the Mao Zedong Memorial Centre based in Acre Lane, Brixton, south London, in the 1970s.
It was raided by police and five people, including the pair, were held. Link.

Truth has never been stranger than fiction.

did they get Stockholm syndrome?

WTF?

I don't doubt you, but could you provide some links to investigations regarding this matter?

Where did you hear about this?

I don't doubt you, but could you provide some links to investigations regarding this matter?

Where did you hear about this?

Which links are you talking about? The 3 slave women of the story or my anecdote about living conditions for illegals?

Which links are you talking about? The 3 slave women of the story or my anecdote about living conditions for illegals?
Nevermind I saw the link now.

It's absolutely horrifying.

Very weird as details come out. So when did it actually become slavery as opposed to a cult?

The Irish daughter of a Second World War codebreaker is one of three women allegedly held as a slave by a Maoist sect, it has been claimed.

Josephine Herivel, in her fifties, is the daughter of John Herivel, one of the leading codebreakers at Bletchley Park who deciphered the Enigma code.

Reports suggest that last week’s arrests of slavery suspect Aravindan Balakrishnan and his wife Chanda in Brixton, south London, were triggered when Ms Herivel raised the alarm.

The couple were arrested on suspicion of slavery related offences amid claims that three women were held against their will for more than 30 years.

Brought up with her two sisters, Mary and Susan in Belfast, she joined Balakrishnan’s extremist collective in the 1970s after moving to London to study, turning her back on her family.

When her father died in 2011 obituaries only made mention of his two other daughters, who now live in London.

Attempts by her family to make contact failed, according to family friend Frances Presley.

She told The Times: “They have tried to contact her for years. I know she was involved in some kind of cult group. My understanding is that she cut herself off (from the family). I know they have always tried their best.”

Irish woman in 'slavery' case revealed as daughter of WWII codebreaker | Irish Examiner

Probably when they started keeping people prisoners.

Not really. They seemed to embrace a cult (well, the two besides the person born into it) that shunned the outside world as fascist. They were also capable of walking out the front door which they did eventually. Their views may have become progressively warped but it stemmed from a willing choice.

Sad to see that this sort of heinous crime and psychological problems of the perpetrator isn't isolated to just the US.

Sad to see that this sort of heinous crime and psychological problems of the perpetrator isn't isolated to just the US.

Why would it be isolated to just the US? Is that a part of American exceptionalism?

Why would it be isolated to just the US? Is that a part of American exceptionalism?

It's probably that I've not heard of similar cases in the rest of the world, but that's due to the, ahem, 'high' quality of news coverage here.

No, sick people are pretty much ever where.

Back
Top Bottom