• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Twitter X, Part 2: The Reckoning

Cardinal

Respected On All Sides
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
This happens on my ios device using the browser icabmobile, a highly customizable browser. The upside is that basically every button is where I want it. The downside is you have to manually allow cookies, right down to downloading adblock filters yourself. It's worth it if you're willing to work for it, but then...this kind of crap can happen:

IMG_3430.jpg

I've whitelisted Twitter's and DP's cookies, so is there anything else I'm missing? (That's a rhetorical question -- obviously there's something else I'm missing).

I've whitelisted Twitter's and DP's cookies, so is there anything else I'm missing? (That's a rhetorical question -- obviously there's something else I'm missing).
As someone who's heavily invested in privacy and breaks websites all the time with all the things I disable, what has likely happened is your browser is blocking some element of cross site scripting. Usually this is done as a privacy/security measure. It stops random webpages like CNN from loading Facebook/Twitter/Google tracking scripts. Basically if you aren't on twitter, stuff from twitter might not load (like embedded tweets).

Is this behavior consistent across different sites?

As someone who's heavily invested in privacy and breaks websites all the time with all the things I disable, what has likely happened is your browser is blocking some element of cross site scripting. Usually this is done as a privacy/security measure. It stops random webpages like CNN from loading Facebook/Twitter/Google tracking scripts. Basically if you aren't on twitter, stuff from twitter might not load (like embedded tweets).

I was able to whitelist Twitter's cookies by being on Twitter. I whitelist cookies so that I don't get logged out after clearing them (a basic feature that should be available in every other mobile browser but isn't, at least not on ios). I don't know where else I would test this behavior.

I was able to whitelist Twitter's cookies by being on Twitter. I whitelist cookies so that I don't get logged out after clearing them (a basic feature that should be available in every other mobile browser but isn't, at least not on ios). I don't know where else I would test this behavior.
Here, go to this news article. Here is what it should look like if embedded tweets can load.

1698240326977.png

bleh, ads.

Here is what it looks like for me with my blockers on.
1698240486680.png

Btw, the Twitter cookie I've whitelisted is ".twitter.com -/" which, if I understand correctly, should conceivably allow every cookie from that platform.

Btw, the cookie for Twitter I've whitelisted is ".twitter.com -/" which, if I understand correctly, should conceivably allow every cookie from that platform.
Cookies aren't the problem, as they are mostly being used to keep you logged in. I'll take a look at the browser but it is likely a security/privacy setting.

Here, go to this news article. Here is what it should look like if embedded tweets can load.

View attachment 67474261

bleh, ads.

Here is what it looks like for me with my blockers on.
View attachment 67474262

The tweets that are appearing for you aren't appearing on icabmobile.

Edit: hold on, they're not appearing on my laptop's Firefox either.

The tweets that are appearing for you aren't appearing on icabmobile.

Edit: hold on, they're not appearing on my laptop's Firefox either.
Well, I think even default Firefox blocks some cross site stuff from loading. I had to go to Chrome, which I don’t use, to get the image with the embedded tweets. You could also try edge.

Well, I think even default Firefox blocks some cross site stuff from loading. I had to go to Chrome, which I don’t use, to get the image with the embedded tweets. You could also try edge.
To be clear, Tweets are appearing on Firefox for this site, but not on the news article you linked to.

In fire
To be clear, Tweets are appearing on Firefox for this site, but not on the news article you linked to.
So for example if you went to this thread, you see the linked tweet with the video?

Take a look at the privacy settings in your browser. In firefox it is this setting that blocks this kind of stuff.
1698241213728.png

Not sure what the equivalent setting in icabmobile is.

If it was free I'd download it, but from looking online if I had to guess one of your filter settings is what is blocking it.
1698241371881.jpeg

Take a look at the privacy settings in your browser. In firefox it is this setting that blocks this kind of stuff.
View attachment 67474264

Not sure what the equivalent setting in icabmobile is.

Mine is set to "standard." Icabmobile doesn't have anything so end-user friendly. So if there's a "cross-script," then I'd have to find a way to track it down through icabmobile's ui and whitelist it manually somehow.

They way in which tweets are embedded and exactly what you are blocking can vary quite a bit. For example, here is what that thread looks like to me across 3 different browsers with 3 different levels of privacy/ad blocking enabled.
1698241607369.png

Btw, the Twitter cookie I've whitelisted is ".twitter.com -/" which, if I understand correctly, should conceivably allow every cookie from that platform.

I think you use asterisks as wildcards for filters. Try:

*twitter.com*​

And maybe you need this now:

*x.com*​

Now, this is happening to all users. Musk has punished spammers. X seems to have disabled embeds.

Back
Top Bottom