• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tucson politics in a nutshell (1 Viewer)

Yes, you brought it up, it was not mentioned in the articles, you are the one who characterized it as:

"What gets me about this particular situation, though, is that this group seems to have felt entitled to the space"

So show it. This has been requested multiple times.

Used explicitly -
Nugent cited DL's "rude behavior displayed toward staff and a general sense of entitlement,"

Used implicitly -
As this member bluntly put it, after Bryan left, “they were just left with the nitwits. In the end, the more obnoxious holier-than-thou slacktivists were all that was left. Given how they treated other patrons and how little money they spent, I'm surprised Bill (Nugent) didn't kick them out sooner.”

From the Tucson Progressive blog. Again, implicit entitlement -
Although DL drew large crowds for big events and debates, there were also many nights, when no one was at The Shanty but a handful DL regulars and the bartender. There were cold nights on the patio, when we looked longingly at the gas heaters and wished Shanty owner William Nugent had filled them, since he knew we were coming.
If it was cold then why not sit inside?

Used explicitly -

Used implicitly -

From the Tucson Progressive blog. Again, implicit entitlement -

If it was cold then why not sit inside?
LOL....those were the words of a bitter business....and commentors.... that just lost a regular set of patrons. THAT is your proof of DL sense of "entitlement", the wrath of a bar owner?

FFS, that is the weakest foundation for an argument.

PS....I hardly would call a standing meeting an "entitlement"......but then grasping for straws is your "right".

I'm sure that the Shanty will survive too. I really doubt that losing Drinking Liberally will cause so much as a blip on their radar.

What I was getting at in this thread is how the ultra left wing has taken over Democrat politics in this town, how they act and why their practices are hurting this city. The Tucson Progressives are simply obnoxious, self centered jerks. They have city hall as their little fiefdom and that's fine but they have been an economic disaster for this town. While Oro Valley, Marana and Vail are all booming Tucson has been struggling. TUSD sucks. The streets suck. We've lost ALL the professional baseball teams that called Tucson home for decades. Wages have been stagnant for years and our labor force has been dropping.

What have the liberals running this town done to fix that? Rio Nuevo? The street car? That's BILLIONS of dollars being sunk into projects that do little or nothing to support the city as a whole.

The street car is a mere novelty. It's only potential benefit is to serve college kids getting from campus to the bars a little safer. If the plan is to spur economic growth in this town based on broke college kids spending a few bucks on burgers and beer then I'm not terribly optimistic about the future. The whole concept of Rio Nuevo has proved to be a disaster. What do we have to show for all the hundreds of millions of dollars dumped into that project? The bonds were recently downgraded AGAIN to BBB because the project is such a cluster****. Hell, this year they even held a contest for local high schoolers to come up with a new name for the project because even the name is tainted!

Wow, Tucson hasn't changed in decades. Except the burbs where the well off have built and the service industry that followed. Tucson is as it is mainly because of it's off the beaten track geography. Always will be. The Phoenix metro area is "Arizona" to most of the country. Has nothing to do with dem/rep politics. Phoenix has a dem mayor. Doesn't matter, we are still a red state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom