• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump Ally Tries To Remove Parkland Fathers From Gun Violence Hearing

Fledermaus;1069663332[B said:
]Something glossed over by some here....[/B]

The public is not allowed to comment during congressional hearings, and the two were given a warning.

Of course it is.
They need to vilify Gaetz because he was enforcing rules and trying not to have yet another circus erupt in the middle of Congressional procedures, like it did during Kavanaugh's hearing.
Agitprop is their way of life.

I am a strong proponent of civil disobedience so I respect what the fathers did. But there wasn’t anything wrong in removing them when they didn’t follow the rules.

These parents are adults and they knew what they were doing. Trump haters want to make them out to be blameless, but the only thing that happened was the rules were applied to them.

I’m a FL native (Pinellas County) and it saddens me to see what has happened to politics in my home state. Still, could be worse, at least the top 3 officials there aren’t in the spotlight for racism/sexual assault like my adopted home state of VA. :/

LOL, you make a great point. We're closing out the week and not one of Virginia's officials are resigning. In fact, they are fighting in every conceivable way to avoid political ramifications, despite the fact that they are harming Virginians by not allowing new leadership which isn't weighed down with controversy.
Northam and Fairfax are politically useless. Dead weight. They will never hold office again, yet they refuse to let go.
Their fates are sealed.

It's time to move on.

Something glossed over by some here....
The public is not allowed to comment during congressional hearings, and the two were given a warning.
Not glossed over. Just not addressed. Their out of order comments were no more wrong than Gaetz’s attempt to highjack the hearing to promote Trump’s wall.

I am a strong proponent of civil disobedience so I respect what the fathers did. But there wasn’t anything wrong in removing them when they didn’t follow the rules.
I’m also a strong proponent of peaceful civil disobedience and agree with your opinion and believe that had the committee chairmen decided to have the fathers removed for violating hearing rules, Gaetz should also have been asked to leave.

Not glossed over. Just not addressed. Their out of order comments were no more wrong than Gaetz’s attempt to highjack the hearing to promote Trump’s wall.

I’m also a strong proponent of peaceful civil disobedience and agree with your opinion and believe that had the committee chairmen decided to have the fathers been removed for violating hearing rules, Gaetz should also have been asked to leave.

While agreeing that Gaetz's schpiel was inappropriate, I'm don't know if he could legally be made to leave.

While agreeing that Gaetz's schpiel was inappropriate, I'm don't know if he could legally be made to leave.
Agree. It’s why I said “asked to leave” instead of be “removed”. The comment was only meant to draw a reasonable/equal resulting action for the parents and the Congressman.

Agree. It’s why I said “asked to leave” instead of be “removed”. The comment was only meant to draw a reasonable/equal resulting action for the parents and the Congressman.

But it's not an equal situation. I'm not sure who would do the asking, but it would set a dangerous precedent to ask a sitting member of Congress to leave a hearing based upon disagreement with what he/she said.

But it's not an equal situation. I'm not sure who would do the asking, but it would set a dangerous precedent to ask a sitting member of Congress to leave a hearing based upon disagreement with what he/she said.
Gaetz disrupted and attempted divert the committee away from its intended purpose. Arguably more disruptive/disrespectful to the committee than the fathers of murdered high schoolers.

I’m no Congressional committee rules scholar, but I suspect there probably is a procedural rule that allows the committee chairman to have a member silenced/removed for failing to follow committee rules, not that it likely would or should ever be used.

Gaetz disrupted and attempted divert the committee away from its intended purpose. Arguably more disruptive/disrespectful to the committee than the fathers of murdered high schoolers.

I’m no Congressional committee rules scholar, but I suspect there probably is a procedural rule that allows the committee chairman to have a member silenced/removed for failing to follow committee rules, not that it likely would or should ever be used.

Unfortunately, shaming is no longer effective for anyone in government.

That may well be. But people who break the rules are far more likely to get tossed.
Do you think they could have bent or tweaked the rules a little and allowed Scalise to testify even if they had to boot one of the anti gun panel off? It was way to anti gun anyway.
Hell it was basically a a sham hearing.

Trump Ally Tries To Remove Parkland Fathers From Gun Violence Hearing
Memo to GOP Rep. Gaetz, your party no longer controls the US House of Representatives. Elections have consequences.
The GOP has not allowed a House hearing on gun violence in 8 years! As expected, young people packed the hearing room and remain highly motivated on gun issues.

While a "longtime Trump ally" (?) pushed to have two fathers of Parkland victims tossed and did not succeed, the democrat house succeeded in "tossing" out a republican with first-hand knowledge on gun violence: representative Steve Scalise.

@SteveScalise
Follow Follow @SteveScalise
More
I survived a shooting and it solidified my support for a strong 2nd Amendment. House Judiciary Democrats wouldn't let me share my experience at their gun control hearing today. Liberals try to silence conservatives, but it won’t work. Read my testimony ↓
10:53 AM - 6 Feb 2019

House Judiciary GOP
‏Verified account
@JudiciaryGOP
Follow Follow @JudiciaryGOP
More
.@SteveScalise wanted to share his story at the #HR8 hearing today, but Democrats denied him that opportunity. They didn't want to hear or learn from a shooting victim who is also their colleague.
1:34
12:52 PM - 6 Feb 2019

Rep. Steve Scalise: Democrats don'''t want you to hear what I have to say about guns and the Second Amendment | Fox News

What a POS the democrats are! (spit)

While a "longtime Trump ally" (?) pushed to have two fathers of Parkland victims tossed and did not succeed, the democrat house succeeded in "tossing" out a republican with first-hand knowledge on gun violence: representative Steve Scalise.

@SteveScalise
Follow Follow @SteveScalise
More
I survived a shooting and it solidified my support for a strong 2nd Amendment. House Judiciary Democrats wouldn't let me share my experience at their gun control hearing today. Liberals try to silence conservatives, but it won’t work. Read my testimony ↓
10:53 AM - 6 Feb 2019

House Judiciary GOP
‏Verified account
@JudiciaryGOP
Follow Follow @JudiciaryGOP
More
.@SteveScalise wanted to share his story at the #HR8 hearing today, but Democrats denied him that opportunity. They didn't want to hear or learn from a shooting victim who is also their colleague.
1:34
12:52 PM - 6 Feb 2019

Rep. Steve Scalise: Democrats don'''t want you to hear what I have to say about guns and the Second Amendment | Fox News

What a POS the democrats are! (spit)

Did Scalise take a bullet to the head in that shooting?

Did Scalise take a bullet to the head in that shooting?

I wasn't aware that only liberals with a bullet to their heads were allowed to attend a hearing on gun control legislation .../s

Steve Scalise: "Democrats on the House Judiciary Committee held a hearing Wednesday on new gun control legislation Democrats plan to push on the American people. The top Republican on the committee, Doug Collins, R-Ga., asked committee Democrats if I could testify about this legislation in an appropriate setting to offer another perspective as both a survivor of a shooting attack and strong supporter of our Second Amendment rights. But the Democrats said no. ..."

I wasn't aware that only liberals with a bullet to their heads were allowed to attend a hearing on gun control legislation .../s

Steve Scalise: "Democrats on the House Judiciary Committee held a hearing Wednesday on new gun control legislation Democrats plan to push on the American people. The top Republican on the committee, Doug Collins, R-Ga., asked committee Democrats if I could testify about this legislation in an appropriate setting to offer another perspective as both a survivor of a shooting attack and strong supporter of our Second Amendment rights. But the Democrats said no. ..."

I do not get your reply. Did Scalise take a bullet to the head?

Were only people with a bullet to their head allowed to attend?

Of course not. I was looking for a possible explanation of his support for guns after being shot.

Of course not. I was looking for a possible explanation of his support for guns after being shot.
Well maybe he's just a gun guy. Like me he obviously knows if he's shot the gun just didn't wake up that morning and decide that it was going to shoot so and so. However the same may not be said of the owner.

Can't wait for the Democratic party to retake the Senate and the White house, then we can finally GRAB THOSE GUNS FOR GOOD!

GRAB THOSE GUNS!

you're right, my mistake. However, comments were not allowed. The parkland parents in question were out of line
m

If some asshole had suggested that a wall would have prevented any of the recent mass shootings in Florida that had that killed a child of mine, you can bet I would have been out of line. The creep insulted their grief with absurdity. I would have discussed things further with him in the parking lot.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom