• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trimming Dog Nails (1 Viewer)

also he didn’t follow the thread………:unsure:
I just thought the advice needed to be better written than Post 6.

Be best Rexedgar.

πŸ–•πŸ–•πŸ–•πŸ–•πŸ–•πŸ–•πŸ–•πŸ–•πŸ–•πŸ–•πŸ–•πŸ–•πŸ–•πŸ–•

Edited to add appropriate emoticons.

I just thought the advice needed to be better written than Post 6.

Be best Rexedgar.

πŸ–•πŸ–•πŸ–•πŸ–•πŸ–•πŸ–•πŸ–•πŸ–•πŸ–•πŸ–•πŸ–•πŸ–•πŸ–•πŸ–•

Edited to add appropriate emoticons.
Be Best?

1715551388901.jpeg

They tell you that if you get your dog used to getting their paws fooled with, (cleaning mud, checking for ticks and general handling,) they are more amenable to nail clipping. I agree….
Start the first week you have that dog.
Step 1. ALWAYS play with those feet. Massage them while you pet and scratch your dog. Get the dog accustomed, not only to the feeling of having his feet and pads touched , but teach him to lie still while you do it. Make patience a virtue you reward with affection and tidbits.
Step 2. bring in those clippers or scissors, rub the feet with them. Click them so the dog gets used to the sound. More love, more tidbits. Do this every day or every other day as part of normal attention.
Step 3. Grab those paws a little more firmly now, just the way you would if you had to hold them still for the nail clip. Its not quite as gentle, but its not painful either. Include the clippers/scissors as part of this process.
Step 4. actually clip 1 nail per day. More love and treats.

You get the drift.

Step 1. ALWAYS play with those feet. Massage them while you pet and scratch your dog. Get the dog accustomed, not only to the feeling of having his feet and pads touched , but teach him to lie still while you do it. Make patience a virtue you reward with affection and tidbits.
Step 2. bring in those clippers or scissors, rub the feet with them. Click them so the dog gets used to the sound. More love, more tidbits. Do this every day or every other day as part of normal attention.
Step 3. Grab those paws a little more firmly now, just the way you would if you had to hold them still for the nail clip. Its not quite as gentle, but its not painful either. Include the clippers/scissors as part of this process.

You get the drift.
Very good advice πŸ‘Œ

You get the drift.
I’m getting a woody…….

We just washed our elderly dowager slightly demented old girl. She needs a full treatment, but she is in her golden years.

We got our GSD in DEC2009. As a puppy, his nails weren’t very bulky, so I tried to trim them with a guillotine type cutter. That led to bleeding nails and trying to hold baking powder/flour on the affected nail for 20 minutes or so. I started to take him to PETSMART and give them a go. He was getting fairly big, at that point, and they wanted to attach a short lead around his neck and place him on a slippery, small table and raise the table. β€œWait a minute, you’re gonna hang him if he slips or jumps off!” I got the tech to clip his nails by sitting him and going to his level. On one of the later visits, the tech let me know that there was a note in Rex’s file, β€œhe has big teeth…” He never bit anyone but there was some apprehension, when they drew Rex’s number. There was an option to grind the nails as opposed to clipping them, but it was about $5 more. A little later I opted for the grinding. They broke out a Dremel tool and we never went back. It did take a little time to get Rex to adjust to the whine of the tool, but he would willingly submit after a while without affording me the opportunity to do a full on dental exam.

Rex passed about three years ago and it was about nine months before we decided to get another dog. We got a rescue and opened our home to Lulu. PETSMART was advertising a new tool that had an electronic GO/NO GO sensor on the cutter. We went through the flour routine once again as Lulu would fidget just as I was getting ready to cut. Back to the Dremel. She hated the noise at first, but now know when we need to trim the nails and dutifully offers up her front paws. The rears are a little more challenging. Her nails have gotten just as bulky as the twice the weight Shepherd. There isn’t a cutter that is sharp enough or quick enough to cut the nails without crushing the nail……….
I admit I haven’t read the whole thread yet, I don’t know if this has been mentioned yet.

Getting them used to paw handling helps a lot. But it’s impossible to see the β€œquick” in a nail that is black (like GSD’s and many others). It’s really easy to clip too far down without realizing it, but super painful for the recipient.

Try calling around local vet offices and seeing if they do β€˜TNT’ walk ins. The practice I worked for charged $15, and the whole visit took maybe 5 minutes. Of course there are exceptions.

Maybe apropos of the thread? My Labs and Border Collie were black on black, really hard to see, so we went with grinding. Plus, you could just round them.

My son's current dog is albino. Still hard to see the quick. She also has very frangible nails, so clippers will not work. My son did a tremendous job training her, and she just flips onto her back for grooming. That threw the groomer at the vet for a loop, when we took her in for it one time. Hilarious.

She had an accident just this week and lost a toenail. Very unsettling, and also expensive. But, it was great to see her in her pink footie. Very cute.

My new calling: writing beastial erotic stories. I have an idea involving Tarzan, Jane, and an ostrich at a watering hole. I will send it to you.
(y)

Maybe apropos of the thread? My Labs and Border Collie were black on black, really hard to see, so we went with grinding. Plus, you could just round them.

My son's current dog is albino. Still hard to see the quick. She also has very frangible nails, so clippers will not work. My son did a tremendous job training her, and she just flips onto her back for grooming. That threw the groomer at the vet for a loop, when we took her in for it one time. Hilarious.

She had an accident just this week and lost a toenail. Very unsettling, and also expensive. But, it was great to see her in her pink footie. Very cute.
Our GSD pulled off one of the dewclaws. I was pleased with how he handled the wrapped paw for a week or more. It took a few months to grow back.

Last edited:
My new calling: writing beastial erotic stories. I have an idea involving Tarzan, Jane, and an ostrich at a watering hole. I will send it to you.
Plain brown wrapper, please……

A vet told me once that with puppies and kittens it helps if they get used to their paws handled when they're young. When they're cuddling and relaxed if you rub their paws regularly they won't freak out later during trims.
Like with anything, get them used to it slowly. Always end the session with something fun.
It took me a good while to get our 8 year old rescue at the time used to any touch, let alone brushing teeth, bathing etc.
I use a pedicure emery board regularly, like once a week. Makes for much smoother nails than cutting.

I use a pedicure emery board regularly, like once a week. Makes for much smoother nails than cutting.
I saw an Instagram video of a Golden Retriever getting a spa day. Glass of champagne, massage, cucumber slices on the eyes, emery board.

Was that you?

I saw an Instagram video of a Golden Retriever getting a spa day. Glass of champagne, massage, cucumber slices on the eyes, emery board.

Was that you?
Lol, nope, I'm wrestling with a minpoo.

Knew someone who used that drummell thing for the dogs nails and she got the dog used to it by putting the dog in her lap or beside her and turning the thing on until the dog got used to it and was no longer fearful of it then after a while she had no problem with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom