• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Transgendered couple

Oh, and another thing, kudos to the person who wrote the article. They actually got the pronouns right, always calling Katie her, and Arin he, even when talking in the past tense. That is one of my biggest pet peeve's, and someone actually got it right. Very cool.

Good for them. I like it when the story has a happy ending.

Transgender is a complicated status and unclear to many people. It's meaning is also not completely pinned down or agreed on, it is in flux. In this instance it appears the kids were born feeling or self identifying as one gender but their bodies were the opposite gender. So no, I do not think they could have a relationship with each other or anyone until they felt like what was going on internally was in unison with what they looked like externally. Anyone correct me if I am wrong.

Many do indeed have relationships, sometimes even before they admit to themselves that they are transgendered. How likely those relationships are to last, outside the normal odds, depends really on how self confident they are about themselves and how well the other person can handle finding out about the TG's status.

Bisexuals tend to stay on because they typically are more about the person than the gender, but not always. Some simply can't handle that big a change in their partner.

Straights and gays naturally are the ones that will typically get out of the intimate relationship, but what happens next seems to be a wider range. Some are very supportive and remain close friends. Some can handle the knowledge of the post-op TG having once been the opposite gender, because it is more or less a mental exercise for them and doesn't override what they are physically experiencing right in front of them. A few will actually override their gender preference and remain in a relationship with a TG as the TG goes through the change and beyond, other relationship issues notwithstanding. Of these some end up needing a sexual partner of their preferred gender outside the relationship, some do not.

Mind you this is from my relatively limited experience in dealing with my local communities and gathering info from other nearby communities when I visit them so YMMV. I don't know what kind of spread of the above reactions are nation wide or world wide. If anyone has a link to studies on this I wouldn't mind seeing them.

Probably not, given how unhappy their situation would have made them with yourselves.

Imagine you woke up as a woman one day. After you spent a few hours-- okay, days-- experimenting with your new body, what do you think that would do to your self-image and your ability to maintain a healthy relationship?

You do realize that transitioning to a different gender isn't an immediate thing, right? No one "wakes up one day" as a different gender. Gender transition takes years. Often people are in conflict as to whether it is the right thing for them to do for quite a while before they start the process. Then the actual process takes a significant amount of time taking hormones, surgeries are expensive and invasive.

The second half of your post is nonsensical. What do you mean experimenting with your new body? When a man transitions to woman, it's not like a horny, virgin, teen boy wakes up one day with boobs. Sheesh. As far as what transitioning does for one's self esteem, it should be clear that if they've always felt wrong in their original body, that a new body matching their gender identity will actually boost one's self esteem.

You do realize that transitioning to a different gender isn't an immediate thing, right? No one "wakes up one day" as a different gender. Gender transition takes years. Often people are in conflict as to whether it is the right thing for them to do for quite a while before they start the process. Then the actual process takes a significant amount of time taking hormones, surgeries are expensive and invasive.

I'm trying to explain gender dysphoria to a person who's never experienced it. Neither of us knows what it feels like to have been trapped in the wrong body for years, but it's not too difficult to imagine being suddenly trapped in the wrong body one day. Once you get past the "I've got my own titties to play with!" factor, that's actually pretty damn horrifying. And understanding how horrifying it would be for you to be trapped in the wrong body, it's much easier to be sympathetic to someone else who's been trapped in the wrong body, in real life, for years.

The second half of your post is nonsensical. What do you mean experimenting with your new body? When a man transitions to woman, it's not like a horny, virgin, teen boy wakes up one day with boobs. Sheesh. As far as what transitioning does for one's self esteem, it should be clear that if they've always felt wrong in their original body, that a new body matching their gender identity will actually boost one's self esteem.

I believe that was the point I was making. Next time you correct me, make sure I'm wrong first.

I'm trying to explain gender dysphoria to a person who's never experienced it. Neither of us knows what it feels like to have been trapped in the wrong body for years, but it's not too difficult to imagine being suddenly trapped in the wrong body one day. Once you get past the "I've got my own titties to play with!" factor, that's actually pretty damn horrifying. And understanding how horrifying it would be for you to be trapped in the wrong body, it's much easier to be sympathetic to someone else who's been trapped in the wrong body, in real life, for years.

I believe that was the point I was making. Next time you correct me, make sure I'm wrong first.

Try articulating your point more succinctly and people won't misunderstand.

Try articulating your point more succinctly and people won't misunderstand.

Just because it was misunderstood by you, does not mean that it was misunderstood by others.

An interesting article. Thought I share.

good for them. I hope they are happy. I was flipping channels today and Rikki Lake had on a similar thing-a married couple where the husband I guess is wearing what his wife wore a few years ago and vice versa.

May both couples go in peace and live in happiness

Back
Top Bottom