• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Top U.S. commander apologizes to Hamid Karzai for drone strike killing child

anatta

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Top U.S. commander apologizes to Hamid Karzai for drone strike killing child | Business Standard

I am of seeing these civilain "strikes" drone or aristrikes, but this one needed mentioning

Top U.S. commander in Afghanistan has apologized to President Hamid Karzai for a drone strike that killed a child, after the incident threatened efforts of getting the security pact signed before 2014 withdrawal

Karzai accuses U.S. of civilian deaths in November drone strike - latimes.com

Afghan President Hamid Karzai has again accused the United States of killing civilians in a drone airstrike, this time in a Nov. 20 attack on a border area between two eastern provinces where Taliban insurgents maintain strongholds.

In a statement released on his presidential website late Wednesday night, Karzai condemned the United States for an alleged drone strike that he said killed seven civilians, including women and children, in Nuristan province on the border with Kunar province near the Pakistan frontier

And we wonder why Karzai (corrupt, narcisstic) won't ratify the loya jirga SOFA till next April?

ONCE AGAIN the US War Wmachine is busily undermining any political progress we can make in the ME/Central Asia for the short term gain of.....

what was it again????? :roll:

From the article:

A Pentagon spokesperson said ISAF has always acknowledged any instances involving allegations of civilian casualties and taken action to apologize and made compensations in the past.

The US regrets collateral damage. It's not something intended.

The best solution would be for Karzai to never accept another dime from the United States.

The best solution would be for Karzai to never accept another dime from the United States.

That would need to include the UN, as the US pays for most of that.

From the article:
The US regrets collateral damage. It's not something intended.
oh no. of course not -the "miliatant" on the bicycle ran into a house, the house was hit by 2 airstrikes.

Just bizness as usual for the US Death Machine, as the house had 2 women and a child in it.
But that's just Yankee Doodle -eh?

oh no. of course not -the "miliatant" on the bicycle ran into a house, the house was hit by 2 airstrikes.

Just bizness as usual for the US Death Machine, as the house had 2 women and a child in it.
But that's just Yankee Doodle -eh?

No one wants collateral damage. Is there a point to your hysterics?

No one wants collateral damage. Is there a point to your hysterics?

if you can't see the fact the drones are counter-productive in Afganistan, and is enabling the Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan to be seen as legitimate in many Paki circles..
then no.

I'm not getting into the US drone denial of civilian casualties, or the extreme low numbers, actually confirmed
(this one on Thanksgiving was unusual );
since it's lost on many Americans that think we have some kind of sucessful mission outcome there.

if you can't see the fact the drones are counter-productive in Afganistan, and is enabling the Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan to be seen as legitimate in many Paki circles..
then no.

People use a lot of things to justify terrorism. It's actually caused by poverty, hopelessness, brainwashing, lack of education, totalitarianism and terrorists.

I'm not getting into the US drone denial of civilian casualties, or the extreme low numbers, actually confirmed (this one on Thanksgiving was unusual );

It's best when you don't need to prove your claims?

People use a lot of things to justify terrorism. It's actually caused by poverty, lack of education, totalitarianism and terrorists.

It's best when you don't need to prove your claims?

some of it is, some of it is "blowback", and the blowback from our excessive drone use is radicalizing a populace that might normally resist the Afg. Taliban
(like the Northern Alliance before the Taliban took over Afg) .

We are NATIONBULDING (counter-insurgency) in Afg, not Coununter-terrorism, which means we have to rely on Afgan National Forces to stand up asthe ISAF leaves

Now think of the propaganda effect of the US drones on the populace ( not to mention the moral outrage) - do you imagine these are going to help placate the populace?

The actual numbers have been reported in wide discrepensies from the various Amnety International Groups/Pakistanis Observers, etc.
So that is a much more extensive answer, I don't feel like doing the research on

some of it is, some of it is "blowback", and the blowback from our excessive drone use is radicalizing a populace that might normally resist the Afg. Taliban
(like the Northern Alliance before the Taliban took over Afg) .

We are NATIONBULDING (counter-insurgency) in Afg, not Coununter-terrorism, which means we have to rely on Afgan National Forces to stand up asthe ISAF leaves

Now think of the propaganda effect of the US drones on the populace ( not to mention the moral outrage) - do you imagine these are going to help placate the populace?

Are you not familiar with organizations using excuses to drum up support? This is really nothing new.

The actual numbers have been reported in wide discrepensies from the various Amnety International Groups/Pakistanis Observers, etc.

Please, let's use real sources.

So that is a much more extensive answer, I don't feel like doing the research on

It's BS, if you'd bothered to research you'd know that.

But hey, why not believe Pakistan's organizations over the US government and Western world. After all, totalitarian dictatorships are known for their transparency and honesty :roll:

Are you not familiar with organizations using excuses to drum up support? This is really nothing new.

Please, let's use real sources.

It's BS, if you'd bothered to research you'd know that.

But hey, why not believe Pakistan's organizations over the US government and Western world. After all, totalitarian dictatorships are known for their transparency and honesty :roll:

so what numbers does the US put out? they usually DON'T, as the CIA still runs most of the drone program.
It's all 'hush hush'.

The Paki gov't opposition is now unified as anti-US drone; since Paki is needed for Afgan stability..what are we doing again??
*besides murdering women and children*

haha

You really don't know, do you?
what kind of idiotic Pee Wee Herman type response is this?? Sorta like "I know you are but what am I"

You were asked (since you decided to fly into this thead):

so what numbers does the US put out
so what are they? are they consistent with observations? how close - since this not always empirical numbers.

Do you have any clues as to why the US is deliberately under-estimating civilian war deaths??

I thought not...

what kind of idiotic Pee Wee Herman type response is this?? Sorta like "I know you are but what am I"

You were asked (since you decided to fly into this thead):

so what are they? are they consistent with observations? how close - since this not always empirical numbers.

Do you have any clues as to why the US is deliberately under-estimating civilian war deaths??

I thought not...

What do those who defend intervention claim are the benefits? Do you believe those are all lies, or are some of those things are realized.

What do those who defend intervention claim are the benefits? Do you believe those are all lies, or are some of those things are realized.

- there may have been a benefit to a counter-terrorism typre response -
basically going in and wiping out the AQ training camps that were allowed by the Taliban.

Anything else (Obama going heavy/Bush -Biden idea of "nationbuilding" i.e. counterinsurgency) is offset by radicalizing the population.

How does one go in and act as a friendly aid to building up a national gov't/armed forces, while at the same time killing civilians?
And not just on rare occasions, but on a fairly regular basis?

Look at Pakistan, the opposition movement is predicated on anti-US drone. Doesn't the same thoing hold true in Afg?

We should have hit the bases, and just never got in to a land war.

- there may have been a benefit to a counter-terrorism typre response -
basically going in and wiping out the AQ training camps that were allowed by the Taliban.

Regarding nation building, what about ending the genocide, invasions of neighbors, intentional starvation, institutionalized rape and UNSCR violations of Saddam? A "radicalized" population isn't as bad as any of those things, let alone all of them. When terrorists in Iraq kill 50k/year, for 20 years, they will compare with Saddam. When that rate of civilian deaths and those things are again the situation in Iraq, then things have gotten worse.

Last edited:
Regarding nation building, what about ending the genocide, invasions of neighbors, intentional starvation, institutionalized rape and UNSCR violations of Saddam? A "radicalized" population isn't as bad as any of those things, let alone all of them. When terrorists in Iraq kill 50k/year, for 20 years, they will compare with Saddam. When that rate of civilian deaths and those things are again the situation in Iraq, then things have gotten worse.
Sectarian killings in Iraq, are close to Syrian battlefield numbers.
Last I saw Syria was around 120,000 - don't think Iraq is that high yet, but no end in sight.

Yankee Doodle once again

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/afric...leaves-52-dead-iraq-20131129201646429355.html

A surge in violence that has left more than 600 people dead this month alone is fueling fears of sectarian war in Iraq.
Last updated: 29 Nov 2013

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom