• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Tom DeLay - Stay or Go?

Should Tom Delay Stay or Go?

• DeLay should resign as head of the GOP in Congress

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • DeLay should resign from Congress

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • DeLay should not resign

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • DeLay should resign & go to work for Fox News Channel

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

26 X World Champs

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Today's Washington Post reports what was already suspected, that Tom DeLay is in deep sh*t.
DeLay Airfare Was Charged To Lobbyist's Credit Card

By R. Jeffrey Smith
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, April 24, 2005; Page A01

The airfare to London and Scotland in 2000 for then-House Majority Whip Tom DeLay (R-Tex.) was charged to an American Express card issued to Jack Abramoff, a Washington lobbyist at the center of a federal criminal and tax probe, according to two sources who know Abramoff's credit card account number and to a copy of a travel invoice displaying that number.

DeLay's expenses during the same trip for food, phone calls and other items at a golf course hotel in Scotland were billed to a different credit card also used on the trip by a second registered Washington lobbyist, Edwin A. Buckham, according to receipts documenting that portion of the trip.

House ethics rules bar lawmakers from accepting travel and related expenses from registered lobbyists. DeLay, who is now House majority leader, has said that his expenses on this trip were paid by a nonprofit organization and that the financial arrangements for it were proper. He has also said he had no way of knowing that any lobbyist might have financially supported the trip, either directly or through reimbursements to the nonprofit organization.

The documents obtained by The Washington Post, including receipts for his hotel stays in Scotland and London and billings for his golfing during the trip at the famed St. Andrews course in Scotland, substantiate for the first time that some of DeLay's expenses on the trip were billed to charge cards used by the two lobbyists. The invoice for DeLay's plane fare lists the name of what was then Abramoff's lobbying firm, Preston Gates & Ellis.
Source:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A12416-2005Apr23.html

OK! So now there's physical evidence that DeLay has violated Congressional Ethics Rules. Where do we go from here? Isn't it time that DeLay, at the very least step down as the GOP leader of the House?

Actually, from a Democratice point of view, at this point the longer he stays, the more bad press will be written about him. This can only help Democrats. I say let him stay! He's a great advocate for Democrats. He's the perfect example of what's unpopular in the GOP/Religious Right. He's our poster boy!

I would like to know what everyone else thinks? Stay or Go?

Please do not bring up Democrats or other Republicans who might fall into a similiar bind. This is about DeLay, and what should be done about him. If there are other members of Congress who have similiar problems they should be treated exactly the same way as DeLay.

26 X World Champs said:
Today's Washington Post reports what was already suspected, that Tom DeLay is in deep sh*t.

Source:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A12416-2005Apr23.html

OK! So now there's physical evidence that DeLay has violated Congressional Ethics Rules. Where do we go from here? Isn't it time that DeLay, at the very least step down as the GOP leader of the House?

Actually, from a Democratice point of view, at this point the longer he stays, the more bad press will be written about him. This can only help Democrats. I say let him stay! He's a great advocate for Democrats. He's the perfect example of what's unpopular in the GOP/Religious Right. He's our poster boy!

I would like to know what everyone else thinks? Stay or Go?

Please do not bring up Democrats or other Republicans who might fall into a similiar bind. This is about DeLay, and what should be done about him. If there are other members of Congress who have similiar problems they should be treated exactly the same way as DeLay.

He's probably no worse then any one else in congress- let him stay. Besides anyone the GOP replaces him with is going to be just as bad or worse. Who ever they replace him with no one going to be watching, least not as much as they would be watching Delay. So, keep Delay. Just get him, and the rest of the bast*rds, to stop feeding at the special interest trough. The American voters are idiots to keep re-electing the same the guys over and over again. Esp. after they start taking huge cash sums from lobbyist and special interested. And they all do it. Once they start that they certainly don’t have our interest at heart.

Pacridge said:
The American voters are idiots to keep re-electing the same the guys over and over again. Esp. after they start taking huge cash sums from lobbyist and special interested. And they all do it. Once they start that they certainly don’t have our interest at heart.
Do you know that 99% of Congressmen running for reelection win? How does that happen? Isn't that an incredible stat? I recall how phony we thought the last Saddam election was in Iraq when he "won" 100% of the vote (my favorite election of all time!).

I wonder what people from other countries think about our government when they see 99% of our Congressmen getting reelected?

I think there is something wrong with the system if 99% succeed. I wonder what needs to be changed?

Let Delay stay. He should stay quiet then let the democrats make a big deal about it while he remains cool. The will look like an angry mob, while he looks like someone just trying to do his job.

Incumbents for congress win 99% of the time because of a little thing called "gerrymandering". The state legislatures draw the districts every ten years after the census is taken. Whoever is in the majority in the state draws the districts unfair so they can get the most possible people from their party reelected. So, most of the races are unfair. Some even unimposed.

pwo said:
Let Delay stay. He should stay quiet then let the democrats make a big deal about it while he remains cool. The will look like an angry mob, while he looks like someone just trying to do his job.

Incumbents for congress win 99% of the time because of a little thing called "gerrymandering". The state legislatures draw the districts every ten years after the census is taken. Whoever is in the majority in the state draws the districts unfair so they can get the most possible people from their party reelected. So, most of the races are unfair. Some even unimposed.

So far he’d not doing so well with the staying quiet thing. He’s blaming his problems on every one but himself. After reading my morning newspaper I have little doubt he’s a douche. But then I think they’re all that, so? But his ability to point fingers at everybody, including conservatively appointed judges is nothing short of pathetic. I’d have a lot more respect for the guy if he’s just step up to the plate and say “you know maybe I should have thought the travel expense thing through better and paid for it myself, In the future I’ll most certainly do that.” But he’s not doing anything even close that. It’s- it’s- it’s Terri Schiavo, It’s activists Judges, It’s the Democrats, my wrong doing is everybody’s fault- but mine.

This may be a stupid question, but do we have any other cases of this happening and if so what happened to them? If not, I guess it's time to set a standard.

sebastiansdreams said:
This may be a stupid question, but do we have any other cases of this happening and if so what happened to them? If not, I guess it's time to set a standard.

Yes, it’s happened before and the outcome greatly depends on to whom it happens and which party’s in power when it happens.

Honestly unless this guy actually broke the law, slap his hand, tell me to knock it off and get back to important things like running the country.

Hmmmm.....I guess I haven't really been watching the news, because I thought that Delay has been quite about the whole situation. Are you sure, he has been on the news, blaming other people? It might just have been other republicans blaming dems, judges, Schivo case, etc.

We all know that nothing to bad is probably going to happen to Delay, so let congress get back to running the country. If your gonna kick him out, just do it already. I agree with you Parcridge. :clap:

I wish neither was an option...

He should face punishment and investigation under the old rules, as everyone should.

pwo said:
Hmmmm.....I guess I haven't really been watching the news, because I thought that Delay has been quite about the whole situation. Are you sure, he has been on the news, blaming other people? It might just have been other republicans blaming dems, judges, Schivo case, etc.

We all know that nothing to bad is probably going to happen to Delay, so let congress get back to running the country. If your gonna kick him out, just do it already. I agree with you Parcridge. :clap:

Every time I've seen him he's blaming somebody else. He's screaming about the activist judges or the vast left wing conspiracy rant. Yeah, right you broke the rules- you thought the left wasn’t going to jump on you for it? Like the right wouldn’t do the same (and has many times over, at ever opportunity) if the tables were turned. Basically from what I've read this morning they have receipts that show he violated the ethics rules. So? Big deal they start tossing guys out of DC for that the place will be empty.

Everytime something like this comes up it falls completely on party lines. You get people supporting actions that if it were being done by the other party they’d be screaming bloody murder. Though has we’re starting see with the Delay case when the ship does final show signs of being in danger of sinking the rats will run for the ropes. Lots of Dems did it when Clinton lied and and now that Delay is making his party look bad they’re heading for the exits in mass too. But Delay was able to get his party to change the rules for him to extend his BS, so that was nice for him.

"DeLay should resign & go to work for Fox News Channel"

I didn't see this choice that's funny. Maybe then it would finnaly be "Fair and Balanced"

But Delay was able to get his party to change the rules for him to extend his BS, so that was nice for him.
That wasn't why the rules were changed. The reason was because there were too many (over 50, at least) false, partisan, complaints about Newt Gingrich. They wasted a lot of time, and used taxpayers money to investigate non-issues. They simply wanted to ensure that a complaint was legitimate, and needed investigation, by requiring a super majority vote.

Back
Top Bottom