• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

To Chew, Or Not To Chew (1 Viewer)

To Chew or Not To Chew?

• Total voters

tosca1

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
That's the question.

This was inspired by Rumpel's thread on the host.

I remember having been strictly instructed by my mother, NOT to chew on the holy host (Catholic communion).
Protestant (my Baptist church) use a small piece of bread. No instructions or info given whether we can chew or not.
Perhaps, out of habit from my Catholic upbringing - I still don't chew on the bread.

But it got me thinking that if we're supposed to be reminded how Christ' body was torn in His suffering for us..........maybe, we're supposed to chew?

Do you chew, or not?
Why?

good question

with the host, one does not chew

That's the question.

I remember having been strictly instructed by my mother, NOT to chew on the holy host (Catholic communion).
Protestant (my Baptist church) use a small piece of bread. No instructions or info given whether we can chew or not.
Perhaps, out of habit from my Catholic upbringing - I still don't chew on the bread.

But it got me thinking that if we're supposed to be reminded how Christ' body was torn in His suffering for us..........maybe, we're supposed to chew?

Do you chew, or not?
Why?
yes … i found this topic very fascinating from the beginning!

That's the question.

Do you chew, or not?
Why?
Great Question. Who gives a shit? :(

So what are the choices here, chew the body of Christ? Suck on it like lozenge? Just have it melt in your mouth?

One gets the sense that, collectively, Jews have been shaking their head in wonder for last 2000 years.

"Just a pinch, between cheek and gum." ~ Skoal Wafers

Ritual cannibalism is fascinating I guess, whether to chew the Styrofoam body of Christ or just let him melt in your mouth is a deep philosophical quandary for sure. 😇
Fascinating, or just creepy?

Just creepy.
Don't forget about sacramental wine, which is supposed to represent the blood of Christ. This is like training to be a zombie or something. :LOL:

"The Spiritual Master is always offering Krishna for kinds of food, analyzed as that which is licked, chewed, drunk or sucked."

Don't forget about sacramental wine, which is supposed to represent the blood of Christ. This is like training to be a zombie or something. :LOL:
Hey, we can all do it with the morning Avatar (post 164,000).

We'll be great magicians, sucking out the blood of our adversaries.

No, communion is fine.

Communion, infant baptism, Christ is coming soon, all fine.

That's the question.

Do you chew, or not?
Why?
How about if I gently chew it?

So what happens if you do it wrong? You get talked about at the annual Roast Beef dinner fundraiser?

That's the question.

Do you chew, or not?
Why?
Consubstantiation is a Christian theological doctrine that (like transubstantiation) describes the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist. It holds that during the sacrament, the substance of the body and blood of Christ are present alongside the substance of the bread and wine, which remain present.
Transubstantiation – the idea that during Mass, the bread and wine used for Communion become the body and blood of Jesus Christ – is central to the Catholic faith.

So basically just make believe cannibalism.

Also a good explanation as to what happened to the body of christ. That is if we take jesus's words literally.
Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you. Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

That's the question.

Do you chew, or not?
Why?

*YAWN*

Can I slowly lick it in devout adoration of His holy body?

I want to slurpily aspirate the vino as well so as to truly appreciate its bloody flavor.

Do you go to hell if you chew? Stupid shit.
No. Chewing a consecrated host isn't a mortal sin.

I spent grade school Masses (6 days a week, during the school year) hoping to see the priest drop a consecrated host. (We had to learn the procedure that the priest and the altar boy would have to go through to deal with a dropped consecrated host. It was quite elaborate.)

I'm asking a question regarding a particular doctrinal issue.

Obviously - logical folks - we should know to whom the question is directed to. RIGHT?
Surely, you would know that?

Out of curiosity - other than Rumpel -
Are you folks who had responded, ever were Catholics or had taken communion?

Do you go to hell if you chew? Stupid shit.

I don't think so.
There is no instruction from Jesus to not chew.

The communion is a SYMBOLIC act of COMMEMORATING what Jesus had gone through for our salvation.

The bread symbolizes Jesus’ body. Consuming it during the Lord’s Supper recalls the sacrificial purpose of His death for sinners (Isaiah 53:12; Galatians 1:4, 2:20; Titus 2:14).
The cup symbolizes Jesus’ blood, shed for the forgiveness of sin (Matthew 26:28; Ephesians 1:7).
This transformation of the meaning of the bread and cup highlights Jesus’ death as the ultimate fulfillment of what the Passover event and meal only foreshadowed.

With the bread and cup imbued with fresh meaning, Jesus instructed His followers, “Do this in remembrance of me.” This instruction means that Jesus’ followers are to regularly consume the bread and cup to memorialize

His death on the cross for sin.
While the observance of the Lord’s Supper in modern churches is often a solemn and reflective experience, its theological nature is celebratory. Jesus, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world (John 1:29),
has provided sinners with the ultimate sacrifice. His death on the cross fulfilled what the sacrificial lamb of Passover meals only foreshadowed (Hebrews 9:27).
When Christians regularly partake of the bread and cup to memorialize Jesus’ death, they aren’t only obeying a command, but praising and thanking God for the victory and freedom that is theirs in Jesus (1 Corinthians 15:57).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom