• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

This Sucks For The Gun Grabbers

DebateChallenge

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
This really sucks for the gun grabbers or for anybody who wants more gun control in the USA. Justice Amy Coney Barrett has just been sworn in to the SCOTUS and she's very much for gun rights.

No one knows how a given judge, in a given case, on a given day, will vote. We can surmise. But, we don't know.

The fact that she agreed and even expounded upon Heller's 'restrictions' clause, leads me to believe she may not be as 2nd A friendly as some think. But from what I've seen of her, I think she'll make a good Justice.

(unfortunately I don't have a source for her Heller comments)

Today is a very sad day for gun control proponents.

No one knows how a given judge, in a given case, on a given day, will vote. We can surmise. But, we don't know.

The fact that she agreed and even expounded upon Heller's 'restrictions' clause, leads me to believe she may not be as 2nd A friendly as some think. But from what I've seen of her, I think she'll make a good Justice.

Here is the main thing. Justices that support the 2nd Amendment of the constitution have their heads on right.

Love ya, but you are dead wrong about Barrett. There is no one more excited about the appointment of ACB than the NRA and Alan Gottlieb of the Second Amendment Foundation. They have been lobbying for her appointment even before Gorsuch was announced.
Insiders have said the SC which needs four judges to bring a case to the bench has been turning down gun cases for the last two years. The believed reason was the fear John Robers who has been leaning increasingly left, might be the wild card that will rule against the supporters of the second amendment. Thye just did not want to take the chance.
Watch now those cased be taken up by the SC because of Barrett's appointment. Roberts opinion will no longer need to decide those critical cases.

This really sucks for the gun grabbers or for anybody who wants more gun control in the USA. Justice Amy Coney Barrett has just been sworn in to the SCOTUS and she's very much for gun rights.
I would not be all that confident for several reasons, the Dems will try to go backwards and ban specific firearms such as AR's and AK's just as they have done in the past, not thinking confiscation but new sales would be ended, and since it was done once before and fought in the courts it is unlikely that the SC would end any such ban. As for handguns, I can see them also banning future sales of magazines over 10 rounds, it has also been tested in the courts and so far the laws have survived, which again means it would be unlikely to be stopped by the SC. I would also add that they can make background checks more lengthy and add waiting periods before taking possession of a firearm that someone has already purchased and passed the background check process. They are ready pushing for it to be legal to sue firearms manufactures for how a person uses their firearms and that in itself could put some manufactures out of business or force them to deduce their manufacture of specific types of firearms. Lastly they can impose high taxes on ammunition and place limits on how much ammo an individual can buy in a given amount of time.
Personally I am against all those ideas, but I am a Realist when it comes to what can and cannot be actually done and with a Dem controlled Congress and WH I believe that some, if not all, of the above mentioned infringements will be implemented. The only advice I have is buy what you believe you need or want between now and January, good luck with that since many firearms are hard to get as is ammo to go with them, but try anyway, it might take a couple of months to get it, but you probably will eventually get it.

Love ya, but you are dead wrong about Barrett. There is no one more excited about the appointment of ACB than the NRA and Alan Gottlieb of the Second Amendment Foundation. They have been lobbying for her appointment even before Gorsuch was announced.
Insiders have said the SC which needs four judges to bring a case to the bench has been turning down gun cases for the last two years. The believed reason was the fear John Robers who has been leaning increasingly left, might be the wild card that will rule against the supporters of the second amendment. Thye just did not want to take the chance.
Watch now those cased be taken up by the SC because of Barrett's appointment. Roberts opinion will no longer need to decide those critical cases.
Maybe you missed it but it is highly likely that the SC will be expanded, probably not enough to give the Liberals the majority but enough to make Roberts vote as important as it has been. I think you can count on that happening next year if the Dems win, which is likely. It Is What It Is.

I would not be all that confident for several reasons, the Dems will try to go backwards and ban specific firearms such as AR's and AK's just as they have done in the past, not thinking confiscation but new sales would be ended, and since it was done once before and fought in the courts it is unlikely that the SC would end any such ban. As for handguns, I can see them also banning future sales of magazines over 10 rounds, it has also been tested in the courts and so far the laws have survived, which again means it would be unlikely to be stopped by the SC. I would also add that they can make background checks more lengthy and add waiting periods before taking possession of a firearm that someone has already purchased and passed the background check process. They are ready pushing for it to be legal to sue firearms manufactures for how a person uses their firearms and that in itself could put some manufactures out of business or force them to deduce their manufacture of specific types of firearms. Lastly they can impose high taxes on ammunition and place limits on how much ammo an individual can buy in a given amount of time.
Personally I am against all those ideas, but I am a Realist when it comes to what can and cannot be actually done and with a Dem controlled Congress and WH I believe that some, if not all, of the above mentioned infringements will be implemented. The only advice I have is buy what you believe you need or want between now and January, good luck with that since many firearms are hard to get as is ammo to go with them, but try anyway, it might take a couple of months to get it, but you probably will eventually get it.
the magazine ban in california was struck down by the ninth circuit.

Maybe you missed it but it is highly likely that the SC will be expanded, probably not enough to give the Liberals the majority but enough to make Roberts vote as important as it has been. I think you can count on that happening next year if the Dems win, which is likely. It Is What It Is.
court expansion or gun bans will lead to the GOP gaining massively in 2022, assuming Senile Joe and Kamala Ho are successful

the magazine ban in california was struck down by the ninth circuit.
It will come back around again, you know, if you don't succeed the first time......

court expansion or gun bans will lead to the GOP gaining massively in 2022, assuming Senile Joe and Kamala Ho are successful
I have serious doubts on that, so long as the Dems have the Pandemic to point to the Repubs will have a real hard time gaining back any control, maybe 8 years from now but not for a long time and until the Republican Party cleans house.

It will come back around again, you know, if you don't succeed the first time......
the supreme court would have to strike it down, or the rare case of an en banc reversal

I have serious doubts on that, so long as the Dems have the Pandemic to point to the Repubs will have a real hard time gaining back any control, maybe 8 years from now but not for a long time and until the Republican Party cleans house.
I think you are wrong. If Biden gets the win and both houses, he will have a tax hiking orgasm and that will cause a massive backlash.

Whoopie! We need more guns in america. Everyone should have their own personal arsenal including nukes to protect themselves from their fellow citizens and evil government.

I think you are wrong. If Biden gets the win and both houses, he will have a tax hiking orgasm and that will cause a massive backlash.
I guess we shall see, funny they did not do that over the 8 years they were in office. That said we are going to have to raise some taxes, we have a huge Bill to pay and probably more to be added.

Whoopie! We need more guns in america. Everyone should have their own personal arsenal including nukes to protect themselves from their fellow citizens and evil government.
with the amount of democrat inspired violence and looting, lots of honest americans realized the value of being armed.

with the amount of democrat inspired violence and looting, lots of honest americans realized the value of being armed.
Prove they are democrats doing all the violence and looting. Saying it just doesn't make it so, sorry. You and your honest americans. How many honest americans became mass shooters? Riddle me that one mr I love guns.

Not gonna happen.

Prove they are democrats doing all the violence and looting. Saying it just doesn't make it so, sorry. You and your honest americans. How many honest americans became mass shooters? Riddle me that one mr I love guns.
statistically insignificant amounts. probably less than the number of stoners who kill others while driving stoned.why are you so afraid of guns?-or is it once again, a hatred for the way many gun owners vote?

statistically insignificant amounts. probably less than the number of stoners who kill others while driving stoned.why are you so afraid of guns?-or is it once again, a hatred for the way many gun owners vote?
It's more the way you think. Should I not be afraid of guns? Wanna bet more drunks kill people while driving than stoners? How much cannabis have you smoked? How about alcohol consumption? Have you ever driven high? Let me answer all of those questions for you, you're a law abiding citizen so no.

It's more the way you think. Should I not be afraid of guns? Wanna bet more drunks kill people while driving than stoners? How much cannabis have you smoked? How about alcohol consumption? Have you ever driven high? Let me answer all of those questions for you, you're a law abiding citizen so no.
I have smoked weed-never driven stoned. I don't' drink anymore-stopped drinking when I was sworn in as a city prosecutor. I agree that drunks kill more people than stoners. Drunks kill more people than those using AR 15 rifles.

I have smoked weed-never driven stoned. I don't' drink anymore-stopped drinking when I was sworn in as a city prosecutor. I agree that drunks kill more people than stoners. Drunks kill more people than those using AR 15 rifles.
I agree with you there dude. I've said over and over I'm not against guns, I like shooting them at targets. I know others like/need to shoot animals. I'm against guns on the streets by anyone but law enforcement. I'm against having a thirty round clip or true assault rifles. All of that stuff is strictly for killing people. What hunter uses a ten round clip? None that I know of. Who needs a bazooka to kill a rabbit? I think folks like you go a bit overboard in 'protecting' what you consider your second amendment rights. I feel after reading so many of your posts on firearms, you don't know how to compromise on the issue. It's your way or no way.

Good thing for you this is not the heyday of Ronald Reagan.

Back
Top Bottom