• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Their mom died of COVID. They say conspiracy theories are what really killed her

I'm sorry that they lost their mother. COVID has been awful.

Just like they wonder why mandates are needed. They bring all of this upon themselves due to their ognorance,
I have to admit that in most circumstances the time for mandates has passed. They should have been implemented and ENFORCED a long long time ago. Now everyone eligible has had a chance to get vaccinated and those who foolishly won't protect themselves have made their beds. Good therapeutics are available too, and the truth is that the existing vaccines don't work very well against omicron in terms of preventing infection, just against severe disease. Moderna is working on a bivalent vaccine that should be available in the fall and it will do a better job of protecting against omicron infections.

I have to admit that in most circumstances the time for mandates has passed. They should have been implemented and ENFORCED a long long time ago. Now everyone eligible has had a chance to get vaccinated and those who foolishly won't protect themselves have made their beds. Good therapeutics are available too, and the truth is that the existing vaccines don't work very well against omicron in terms of preventing infection, just against severe disease. Moderna is working on a bivalent vaccine that should be available in the fall and it will do a better job of protecting against omicron infections.
I agree!

I should have said “Why mandates were needed”.

They do.

That said, who are the people/groups who stood to gain from the gullibility of these people?

Literally anyone, there are many industries that make most of their profits from gullible people

Literally anyone, there are many industries that make most of their profits from gullible people
Who stood to gain in this particular context?

Who downplayed the severity of the virus, both in terms of its spread and the severity of its symptoms?

Who promoted doubt and distrust of vaccines? Masks? Social distancing?

Who promoted alternative methods of preventing/treating COVID?

Their mom died of COVID. They say conspiracy theories are what really killed her​

Stephanie was 75 when she succumbed to COVID-19 this past December. But Laurie says it wasn't just COVID that killed her mother. In the years leading up to her death, Stephanie had become embroiled in conspiracy theories. Her belief in those far-out ideas caused her to avoid vaccination and led her to delay and even refuse some of the most effective treatments after she got sick.

"I don't believe she was supposed to die," Laurie says. "I blame the misinformation."

As America approaches a million deaths from COVID-19, many thousands of families have been left wondering whether available treatments and vaccines could have saved their loved ones. According to the Kaiser Family Foundation, more than 230,000 deaths could have been avoided if individuals had gotten vaccinated.

Not everyone who refuses a vaccine believes in elaborate conspiracy theories, but many likely do. Anti-vaccine advocates have leveraged the pandemic to sow mistrust and fear about the vaccines. Local papers across the country are dotted with stories of those who refused vaccination, only to find themselves fighting for their very lives against the disease.

But she refused to get tested. Instead, she ordered drugs online from a natural healer in Florida. Two of the drugs, ivermectin and hydroxychloroquine, are ineffective against COVID, but many conspiracy theorists believe they work. Stephanie waited for the pills to come.

"She was waiting for the pills and I said, 'Why wait? You could go to the doctor right now. You have amazing health insurance. You don't have to wait,'" Laurie says.

I might come across as insensitive, which is unusual for me, but why should anybody give a shit about some idiot that refused to get vaccinated... for whatever reason? The world is better off without the dregs. Social Darwinism should happen for more so that society can move forward into the light.

What profit do they get from a person not taking a vaccine that just sits there and dies?

Conservative disinformation killed hundreds of thousands of people. The only saving thing is they were mostly conspiracy theory republican voting whack-jobs. Hard road for their loved ones like the lady's kids, but better for the rest of us.
Conservatives did not kill any of those people.

"Death panels" have nothing to do with COVID conspiracies.
The covid conspiracies - especially revolving around vax - is without a death its own form of death panel. A very active one.

At least one is based on science - considering witholding care when it is unlikely to improve quantity or quality of life is a bit more ethical than convincing the weak minded to ignore their own physicians .

At the bedside we have seen too many needless deaths in the post vaccine world. I cannot fathom a person that would convince others to ignore their own doctor.

Like I said before. We have seen this in years past with the flu vaccine. Grandma dying on a ventilator - and one of her family had convinced grandma to forego the vaccine - it was just a ploy for companies to make money and did no good - and in "fact" could give you the flu.

What profit do they get from a person not taking a vaccine that just sits there and dies?
They do not sit there and die. They go through hundreds of thousands of health care dollars first. Perhaps the antivaxers are working in concert with hospitals and medical equipment companies. :unsure: :)

They do not sit there and die. They go through hundreds of thousands of health care dollars first. Perhaps the antivaxers are working in concert with hospitals and medical equipment companies. :unsure: :)
More conspiracies? ;)

The covid conspiracies - especially revolving around vax - is without a death its own form of death panel. A very active one.

At least one is based on science - considering witholding care when it is unlikely to improve quantity or quality of life is a bit more ethical than convincing the weak minded to ignore their own physicians .

At the bedside we have seen too many needless deaths in the post vaccine world. I cannot fathom a person that would convince others to ignore their own doctor.

Like I said before. We have seen this in years past with the flu vaccine. Grandma dying on a ventilator - and one of her family had convinced grandma to forego the vaccine - it was just a ploy for companies to make money and did no good - and in "fact" could give you the flu.
Hospital ethics committees began to become common in the late '80's, and this is what I was thinking of--a specific entity tasked with assisting attendings, nurses, and families with end-of-life decisions. I realize that "death panels" can also be a reference to Sarah Palin's notorious phrase re the Affordable Health Care Act ("Obamacare"), but either way, conspiracies are free-floating rather than organized entities, and those who choose to indulge in these do so by choice.

Hospital ethics committees began to become common in the late '80's, and this is what I was thinking of--a specific entity tasked with assisting attendings, nurses, and families with end-of-life decisions. I realize that "death panels" can also be a reference to Sarah Palin's notorious phrase re the Affordable Health Care Act ("Obamacare"), but either way, conspiracies are free-floating rather than organized entities, and those who choose to indulge in these do so by choice.
Defacto "death panels" occur in organ transplant.

They hold the power of life and death over thousands of people.

The "death panels" she spoke to was about rationing of care. Not that I agree with it....be yeah something needs to be done when we are spending 100s of thousands on countless numbers of individuals where the care is clearly futile. I have no problem with their being an open and honest discussion of that fact.

The conspiracy theorists are speaking to the weak minded as if they are talking evidence based scientific facts. Yeah, I think in the case of covid vaccine detractors...they are their own death panel. The only vaccinated patients we are seeing sick with covid in the hospitals have severe underlying medical conditions making their immune system poorly fuctional. But the rest are the unvaccinated.

Defacto "death panels" occur in organ transplant.

They hold the power of life and death over thousands of people.

The "death panels" she spoke to was about rationing of care. Not that I agree with it....be yeah something needs to be done when we are spending 100s of thousands on countless numbers of individuals where the care is clearly futile. I have no problem with their being an open and honest discussion of that fact.

The conspiracy theorists are speaking to the weak minded as if they are talking evidence based scientific facts. Yeah, I think in the case of covid vaccine detractors...they are their own death panel. The only vaccinated patients we are seeing sick with covid in the hospitals have severe underlying medical conditions making their immune system poorly fuctional. But the rest are the unvaccinated.
I agree with you except about the "weak-minded" and those to whom they listen, who are not organized in positions of power and who do not have decision-making authority.

Their mom died of COVID. They say conspiracy theories are what really killed her​

Stephanie was 75 when she succumbed to COVID-19 this past December. But Laurie says it wasn't just COVID that killed her mother. In the years leading up to her death, Stephanie had become embroiled in conspiracy theories. Her belief in those far-out ideas caused her to avoid vaccination and led her to delay and even refuse some of the most effective treatments after she got sick.

"I don't believe she was supposed to die," Laurie says. "I blame the misinformation."

As America approaches a million deaths from COVID-19, many thousands of families have been left wondering whether available treatments and vaccines could have saved their loved ones. According to the Kaiser Family Foundation, more than 230,000 deaths could have been avoided if individuals had gotten vaccinated.

Not everyone who refuses a vaccine believes in elaborate conspiracy theories, but many likely do. Anti-vaccine advocates have leveraged the pandemic to sow mistrust and fear about the vaccines. Local papers across the country are dotted with stories of those who refused vaccination, only to find themselves fighting for their very lives against the disease.

But she refused to get tested. Instead, she ordered drugs online from a natural healer in Florida. Two of the drugs, ivermectin and hydroxychloroquine, are ineffective against COVID, but many conspiracy theorists believe they work. Stephanie waited for the pills to come.

"She was waiting for the pills and I said, 'Why wait? You could go to the doctor right now. You have amazing health insurance. You don't have to wait,'" Laurie says.

And they almost lost the dad too, because he didn't want to alienate his troubled wife by taking the vaccine himself.

I agree with you except about the "weak-minded" and those to whom they listen, who are not organized in positions of power and who do not have decision-making authority.
I just wish that the q anon folks would get a clear "stay off my side" from politicians. Organized? Well how about "politically beholding":)

We had a POTUS fronting hydroxychloroquine like a snake oil salesman....and WEAK MINDED people sucked it up even when science clearly said it was not effective. Because , well, Trump.

My definition of "weak minded" perhaps is different from yours.

Back
Top Bottom