• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The WWE thread

Airyaman

New Druid
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
OK, guilty pleasure: I'm a fan of professional wrestling. Have been since I was in my 20s (I'm 56). I've always known it's fake, as in it is scripted, but it is mostly live action scripting. And I'm sorry, but how many of you could do what these men and women do and not have a good amount of athleticism?

(Not me. Not in a long time. Maybe never?)

Now that my basic viewpoint is established, it's time to evaluate the entertainment component of professional wrestling. Hey, WWE? "World Wrestling Entertainment".

So we're close to Wrestlemania. Here's where I'm at:

1) Cody/Seth vs Roman/Rock: RR wins.Why else the stipulation?
2) Gunther vs Sami Zayn: Gunther retains. Ugh, I want to see him gone. I get why Gunther is dominant. But he bores me.
3) Seth vs Drew: I want Drew to win but I think Seth is going to retain. Another "ugh" moment.
4) Tag team titles: gotta wait until all teams are determined.
5) LA Knight vs AJ Styles: I always root for Styles (he is very entertaining in the ring), but LAK will get the W here. He needs to regain some momentum and Styles is getting close to retirement (a guess). Definitely not mad but LA needs to expand on his "talk" vocabulary.
6) Becky vs Mami..er, Rhea Ripley: Please don't be Becky! I'll be OK with Becky but I want Rhea to retain. Not sure why, her matches are boring. But since she went black hair I can't not want her to be successful. Shallow I know.
7) Yeet vs No-Yeet: Cringe.
8) Kabuki Warriors vs ???: ???
9) Bayley vs Iyo Sky: Bayley with assist from...Iyo Sky. Iyo is the most hesitant person to attack Bayley almost every time. Bayley will get the W.
10) Cody vs Roman: chaos of course, and Cody wins. It's time for Roman to move on to whatever he wants to, he no longer cares for this business.

What did I miss?

It is an improvised choreographic opera which I find much less interesting than athletic contests without a predetermined outcome. Professional sports have every bit as much athleticism that most of us could never do, and include human drama which is genuine and not contrived.

But to each his own.

Would agree that these people are athletes but the sheer choreographed nature and the fake bravado of it is a huge turn off for me. Would not waste my time watching a minute of it.

Back
Top Bottom