• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The unnecessary totalitarianism that is school uniforms.

Sooo....you agree that implementing uniforms would lead to a reduction in behavioral problems. I'm assuming, as a teacher, you are aware that when behavioral problems are reduced, test scores go up, and more importantly, there is a more comfortable school atmosphere. And you disagree with uniforms, because what, some schools already have high test scores? That's hardly a reason to disagree with uniforms in general when so many other schools have horrible test scores and more importantly, even high test scores can go up.

Are you even reading what I'm saying?

Are you even reading what I'm saying?

I'm going to take your lack of response to mean that you don't have one. Feel free to try again though.

Oh no School Uniforms!!!!!

Jesus H. Christ Mary and Joseph.

You know whats a little odd. In North American highschool I noticed its very important what you wear, if you hope to be part of the cool crowd, there is a certain amount of comformaty that happens anyway.

We actually tended to be far more individual when we had school uniforms, because there was nothing to seperate us BUT our actions and our words, we all wore the same thing, and so to be noticed you had to be more out there and show more of yourself.

School uniforms are not as bad as one might think.

We wore uniforms and we never got brainwashed or anything. Also it can help in security situations, unless you somehow managed to steal or buy a uniform, it stopped kids from elsewhere or even young adults from moving around the school unoticed.

At my school there was no mandatory hairstyle for males or females, so we were all able to express ourselves that way... Females could dye their hair, wear makeup.. even dark gothic was ok, and wear jewelry, whatever.. One girl had dreadlocks, and some guys had longer hair or spiked it. You could definitely see the individualism in people.

I think we were treated like adults for the most part.. we were just expected to wear our uniforms properly and my school was also serious about student government. They would haul us into the mall to vote and listen to their speeches.. lol

Last edited:
I'm going to take your lack of response to mean that you don't have one. Feel free to try again though.

What's the point in continuing to respond when you haven't read what I've said already?

What's the point in continuing to respond when you haven't read what I've said already?

I did indeed read what you said and provided a logical response. That's all I can do, it's in your court now.

Sooo....you agree that implementing uniforms would lead to a reduction in behavioral problems. I'm assuming, as a teacher, you are aware that when behavioral problems are reduced, test scores go up, and more importantly, there is a more comfortable school atmosphere. And you disagree with uniforms, because what, some schools already have high test scores? That's hardly a reason to disagree with uniforms in general when so many other schools have horrible test scores and more importantly, even high test scores can go up.

You obviously didn't read the two quotes from me below.

Again, I can see how uniforms would help a school that has major discipline problems. If the discipline problems are reduced, then the grades will most likely go up. All I'm saying is that uniforms aren't necessary for everyone. Some schools have kids that are already disciplined well at home so learning is easier for them. There are excellent schools in this country with students who wear what they want. To say otherwise is silly.

And I can show you a million schools where they don't have uniforms and their scores are excellent. Putting on a uniform doesn't make a kid smart. I wouldn't be opposed to trying it in schools where they have tons of discipline problems, low scores, etc., but it's not necessary for all schools.

I did read and I responded to them. You're welcome to look at my post and tell me how I didn't address your points, but crossing your arms and saying "nuh uh" isn't going to cut it.

To be honest... after reading what you wrote and reading Kelzie's response, she seems to be right on.
Kelzie is a sharp cookie, I would have responded the same... though I ain't sharp or charming like she be.

To be honest... after reading what you wrote and reading Kelzie's response, she seems to be right on.
Kelzie is a sharp cookie, I would have responded the same... though I ain't sharp or charming like she be.

Very few are. :mrgreen:

Before anyone says "it's just clothing" then you sir are a fool.

What if I am a lady?

"it's just just a school uniform that you're forced to wear against your will"

I am a nudist and forced to wear clothes against my will... how unfair is that?

"it's just a curfew that effects everyone"

Little kids running around at 2am sounds fine to me too, damn those trying to be responsible adults.

"it's just surveillance cameras in public"

Crime rates go down as a result... and that seriously sucks.

"it's just getting patted down at airports"

Now THIS, I have a problem with... my little 3 and five year-old WHITE daughter's were frisked at the airport. Yes, I said WHITE. How many 3 year-old WHITE females are hi-jacking planes now-a-days anyway? They need to seriously use profiling for this issue. The Politcally Correct assholes of the world are ruining it for us normal people.

"it's just censorship of 'unsavory' media"

Last I heard, naked women could be photographed and sold, people could write whatever they wanted and sell it, etc.

"it's just the government controlling the press"

Examples please?

"it's just the right to hold supposedly 'bad' people without charging them with a crime"

Lord have mercy!

Where does it end?

When it ends? But, has it begun?

It won't ever end. If we give them an inch, they will ruin America even more so than it already is. The government wants for there to be complete "order" and absolutely no freedoms. It would be easier for the government that way, then they could bend the universe to their will.

School uniforms to "no freedoms". Ever heard of the Slippery Slope Fallacy?

I got into this with WeAreReborn and he had nothing, can you give it a try?

I can travelany where I want to anytime I want to...
I can say anything I want to anytime I want to...
I can petition the government and create change and laws...
I can assemble with whomever I want to anytime I want to...
I can practice any religion anytime I want to...
The list goes on and on....
I have so many freedoms and rights that it isn't even funny.

The USA created and maintains the most free and democratic society that the world has ever seen.

Oh, and school uniforms are a good thing. I have first hand experience with both too...

Not really, since she was asking me questions that I had already answered and making false assumptions. :shrug:

Not really, since she was asking me questions that I had already answered and making false assumptions. :shrug:

This is a DEBATE. If you refuse to reply to my post, why are you even here? This is the part where I recap your argument:

And you disagree with uniforms, because what, some schools already have high test scores?

If you feel I've mischaracterized you, explain why. This is my next point:

That's hardly a reason to disagree with uniforms in general when so many other schools have horrible test scores and more importantly, even high test scores can go up.

They logically follow each other, and more importantly, my point makes your belief invalid, unless you have something else to say.

I'll say it again....

I think schools with high test scores dont NEED uniforms. Those with discipline problems which usually means low test scores could benefit from uniforms. I've said that three times I think now.

I'll say it again....

I think schools with high test scores dont NEED uniforms. Those with discipline problems which usually means low test scores could benefit from uniforms. I've said that three times I think now.

And high test scores can't go up?

And high test scores can't go up?

Of course they can.

Do you believe if all public schools were mandated to enforce uniform rules, there would be no more academic problems?

Of course they can.

Do you believe if all public schools were mandated to enforce uniform rules, there would be no more academic problems?

That's ridiculous. Just because all the problems won't be solved is no reason to avoid implementing a solution that would cut down on said problems.

I'll say it again....

Are you a teacher? Where have you taught? What evidence do you have that schools with high test scores don't have discpline problems? That is a truly strange and inaccurate thing to say, by the way.

Not really, since she was asking me questions that I had already answered and making false assumptions.

Like I said, after reading what you wrote, it was correct. I think that you are simply having trouble expressing yourself.

Are you a teacher? Where have you taught? What evidence do you have that schools with high test scores don't have discpline problems? That is a truly strange and inaccurate thing to say, by the way.

Like I said, after reading what you wrote, it was correct. I think that you are simply having trouble expressing yourself.

She's a teacher? Is she working today?

She's a teacher? Is she working today?

Are you asking or telling me? I am ateacher and not working today.... it is summer vacation here!

Yes, I'm a teacher. I teach elementary school. I think, generally, schools with high academic scores don't have many discipline problems just as schools with lots discipline problems generally have low scores. There are always exceptions, naturally.

And, as I've said a million times on this thread, I'm not completely against uniforms. I don't think they necessary for all public school students.

Yes, I'm a teacher. I teach elementary school. I think, generally, schools with high academic scores don't have many discipline problems just as schools with lots discipline problems generally have low scores. There are always exceptions, naturally.

And, as I've said a million times on this thread, I'm not completely against uniforms. I don't think they necessary for all public school students.

Elementary and secondary are obviously vastly different. I am arguing for secondary schools and uniforms. I don't think that it matters when they are in elementary as much.

I say yes to reasonable dress codes, and yes to uniforms in schools where discipline is an issue. I went to one of the best high schools in the country. We had a very relaxed dress code. We had high test scores, no major discipline issues and there was honestly no need for uniforms. I'm not against uniforms, but I do think it is silly to implement them in schools that are already doing fine.

I say yes to reasonable dress codes, and yes to uniforms in schools where discipline is an issue. I went to one of the best high schools in the country. We had a very relaxed dress code. We had high test scores, no major discipline issues and there was honestly no need for uniforms. I'm not against uniforms, but I do think it is silly to implement them in schools that are already doing fine.

But what if the school that is doing fine could do better? Whats the downside of school uniforms?

Back
Top Bottom