• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Test and Failure of the AGW Paradigm

I'm bringing you back to the thread topic, which you're trying to dodge.
You are the one who isn't addressing any of my criticisms of your C&P.

It feels like you argue about the source of the water while our house is on fire. Why don't you try on a Sherlock Holmes cap to investigate? "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Humans are responsible for the exponential increase in carbon in our atmosphere.
The point is the "carbon in our atmosphere" isn't that important. That's why it's important to understand the failure of the AGW paradigm.

Your criticisms were off topic.
How can my criticisms be off-topic when they directly address the topic of your cut and paste?

Your problem is that you just don't deal in reality.

How can my criticisms be off-topic when they directly address the topic of your cut and paste?

Your problem is that you just don't deal in reality.
No, they don't, actually. Your post evades the central issue.

It feels like you argue about the source of the water while our house is on fire. Why don't you try on a Sherlock Holmes cap to investigate? "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Humans are responsible for the exponential increase in carbon in our atmosphere.
The evidence is overwhelming. They dont have to like the truth....but it remains the truth

The point is the "carbon in our atmosphere" isn't that important. That's why it's important to understand the failure of the AGW paradigm.
I'll go with the 97% consensus.

The consensus, is only that average temperatures have increased in the last century,
and that Human activity is likely involved.
NASA Scientific consensus on global warming
"Multiple studies published in peer-reviewed scientific journals1 show that 97 percent or more of actively publishing climate scientists agree*:
Climate-warming trends over the past century are extremely likely due to human activities."
What is it they agree with? They say it in a single sentence.
Climate-warming trends over the past century are extremely likely due to human activities.
No mention of CO2, or catastrophic warming, or urgent needs to do anything.
Consensus builders, are people looking for common ground, and were forced to limit their scope,
to expand the consensus.
Cook's 97% paper in not even 97%, but 97% of the abstracts that they felt expressed an opinion about AGW.
The study did not evaluate some 66.4% of papers that did not express any opinion.
Cook et al
"We find that 66.4% of abstracts expressed no position on AGW, 32.6% endorsed AGW, 0.7% rejected AGW and 0.3% were uncertain about the cause of global warming. Among abstracts expressing a position on AGW, 97.1% endorsed the consensus position that humans are causing global warming. "

The "consensus" isn't really on point either way in this thread, but since you brought it up:

Aliens Cause Global Warming
Thursday, January 31st, 2019

By Michael Crichton
Caltech Michelin Lecture January 17, 2003

". . . . I want to pause here and talk about this notion of consensus, and the rise of what has been called consensus science. I regard consensus science as an extremely pernicious development that ought to be stopped cold in its tracks. Historically, the claim of consensus has been the first refuge of scoundrels; it is a way to avoid debate by claiming that the matter is already settled.

Whenever you hear the consensus of scientists agrees on something or other, reach for your wallet, because you’re being had.

Let’s be clear: the work of science has nothing whatever to do with consensus. Consensus is the business of politics. Science, on the contrary, requires only one investigator who happens to be right, which means that he or she has results that are verifiable by reference to the real world. In science consensus is irrelevant. What is relevant is reproducible results. The greatest scientists in history are great precisely because they broke with the consensus.

There is no such thing as consensus science. If it’s consensus, it isn’t science. If it’s science, it isn’t consensus. Period. . . ."

The "consensus" isn't really on point either way in this thread, but since you brought it up:

Aliens Cause Global Warming
Thursday, January 31st, 2019

By Michael Crichton
Caltech Michelin Lecture January 17, 2003

". . . . I want to pause here and talk about this notion of consensus, and the rise of what has been called consensus science. I regard consensus science as an extremely pernicious development that ought to be stopped cold in its tracks. Historically, the claim of consensus has been the first refuge of scoundrels; it is a way to avoid debate by claiming that the matter is already settled.

Whenever you hear the consensus of scientists agrees on something or other, reach for your wallet, because you’re being had.

Let’s be clear: the work of science has nothing whatever to do with consensus. Consensus is the business of politics. Science, on the contrary, requires only one investigator who happens to be right, which means that he or she has results that are verifiable by reference to the real world. In science consensus is irrelevant. What is relevant is reproducible results. The greatest scientists in history are great precisely because they broke with the consensus.

There is no such thing as consensus science. If it’s consensus, it isn’t science. If it’s science, it isn’t consensus. Period. . . ."
Michael Crichton is a hack.

The consensus, is only that average temperatures have increased in the last century,
"Multiple studies published in peer-reviewed scientific journals1 show that 97 percent or more of actively publishing climate scientists agree*:
Climate-warming trends over the past century are extremely likely due to human activities."
Climate-warming trends over the past century are extremely likely due to human activities.
Consensus builders, are people looking for common ground, and were forced to limit their scope,
to expand the consensus.
Cook's 97% paper in not even 97%, but 97% of the abstracts that they felt expressed an opinion about AGW.
The study did not evaluate some 66.4% of papers that did not express any opinion.
Cook et al
"We find that 66.4% of abstracts expressed no position on AGW, 32.6% endorsed AGW, 0.7% rejected AGW and 0.3% were uncertain about the cause of global warming. Among abstracts expressing a position on AGW, 97.1% endorsed the consensus position that humans are causing global warming. "
Okay. Avg temperatures have increased and human activity is likely involved. Sounds right, now let's get started on mitigating the mess we've made.

I’ll go with John McCain’s comment that even if human activity isn’t the cause of warming, droughts, worse storms, rising sea levels, etc., conservation, less use of fossil fuels, better mileage standards are all good ideas. (Of course there are all the birds Trump is concerned about.) And if humans do play a role, then we should do that stuff for yet another reason.

Okay. Avg temperatures have increased and human activity is likely involved. Sounds right, now let's get started on mitigating the mess we've made.
You are assuming facts not in evidence, like there is a mess in need of mitigation!
Where in the consensus statement,
" Climate-warming trends over the past century are extremely likely due to human activities. "
does in state the observation are a mess in need of mitigation?
For the most part, the observed warming has been very good for Humanity.
Crop yields are up globally, winter nights are not as cold, and the warming in the tropics
has mostly been in evening lows not going as low.
As for mitigation, even if we assumed we could halt all future CO2 emissions, what do you think would be different?

You are assuming facts not in evidence, like there is a mess in need of mitigation!
Where in the consensus statement,
" Climate-warming trends over the past century are extremely likely due to human activities. "
does in state the observation are a mess in need of mitigation?
For the most part, the observed warming has been very good for Humanity.
Crop yields are up globally, winter nights are not as cold, and the warming in the tropics
has mostly been in evening lows not going as low.
As for mitigation, even if we assumed we could halt all future CO2 emissions, what do you think would be different?
So, enjoy the 3%...it must be lonely out there.

I’ll go with John McCain’s comment that even if human activity isn’t the cause of warming, droughts, worse storms, rising sea levels, etc., conservation, less use of fossil fuels, better mileage standards are all good ideas. (Of course there are all the birds Trump is concerned about.) And if humans do play a role, then we should do that stuff for yet another reason.
Conservation is a good idea, but it has nothing to do with AGW.
Humanity has a very real problem, energy, We do not have enough nature stored hydrocarbons
to allow everyone alive currently, to live a first world lifestyle for more than a few years.
The answer is to minimize the amount of energy to live a first world lifestyle, while
looking for sustainable ways to provide the energy to everyone.
With the currently available technology, the only path that could meet the requirements,
is hydrocarbon energy storage. Man made carbon neutral hydrocarbon fuels, could allow
the seasonal storage of energy, that would move Spring and Fall, surpluses to Summer and Winter demands,
in addition it could provide carbon neutral fuels for transport, that is compatible with existing demands and infrastructure.

So, enjoy the 3%...it must be lonely out there.
You did not look at Cook's paper.
Cook et al
We find that 66.4% of abstracts expressed no position on AGW, 32.6% endorsed AGW, 0.7% rejected AGW and 0.3% were uncertain about the cause of global warming. Among abstracts expressing a position on AGW, 97.1% endorsed the consensus position that humans are causing global warming.
So the 97% was never really 97%, but only 97% of the 33.6% expressing a position.
They did not even evaluate 66.4% of the abstracts, about "global warming"!

to expand the consensus.
Cook et al
I’ll go with the vast majority of scientific organizations.

The late Michael Crichton was a Harvard MD. CalTech thought enough of him to invite him to give one of their most prestigious annual lectures.
Not posted as sourced material...

The late Michael Crichton was a Harvard MD. CalTech thought enough of him to invite him to give one of their most prestigious annual lectures.
And he wrote good fiction

Fiction

Cook et al
We find that 66.4% of abstracts expressed no position on AGW, 32.6% endorsed AGW, 0.7% rejected AGW and 0.3% were uncertain about the cause of global warming. Among abstracts expressing a position on AGW, 97.1% endorsed the consensus position that humans are causing global warming.
So the 97% was never really 97%, but only 97% of the 33.6% expressing a position.
Thise who have a opinion about AGW support it

Cook et al
Who do you think I'll believe, a paper or my lying eyes?

Who do you think I'll believe, a paper or my lying eyes?
I am sorry but Cook's paper is the basis for the 97% consensus claim,
and statements about X number of warmest years on record, say nothing about the cause of the observed warming!

I am sorry but Cook's paper is the basis for the 97% consensus claim,
and statements about X number of warmest years on record, say nothing about the cause of the observed warming!
It's all just a coincidence. Lol

Back
Top Bottom