• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The Price of War is anything but Conservative!

Billo_Really

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Here's a few other things that the far rightous right conservative republican barely a majority government is not telling you:

Craig B Hulet?

There are foreseeable consequences to both foreign and domestic policies of every government; often the one drives the other. The Bush Administration has a new corporate agenda that calls for corporations to eliminate time-and-a-half for overtime pay and the blending of part-time low wage hourly staff with full-time low salaried staff. If paid above the $22,100 line they would have to work overtime free. The law, about 80% of the workforce, covers almost 110 million workers. If you make under $22,100 a year you are entitled to overtime pay, but companies could decide to boost salaries above the cap to avoid paying overtime. This would signal the end of the 40-hour week as we have known it and workers could work 41 to 90 hours a week on a basic salary. The magnitude of this financial boon to corporations from the simple elimination of worker protections in areas of wage and hours is staggering.

This is a move back into the sweatshops of the early 1900s. This is why labor unions began in the first place. This, of course, is being implemented in the name of war and terrorism. Of course, your [liberal biased] media hasn’t told you about it [maybe because it is a conservative biased media]. That would be unpatriotic. It is the legal duty of the free and controlled corporate media, the free press it is called, to save human resource costs and maximizing the bottom line. They [what all the spin doctors call liberal biased media] are as corporatized as GE or Boeing. We ask where are the labor unions? Why haven’t they addressed this issue? These regulations apply to a real world where private litigation is prohibitively expensive for individual workers, and meaningful government oversight for employees no longer exists.

This author has been self-employed his entire life; yet supports the unions in the face of Corporatism’s known past. It is suspected that this monstrosity will be phased in during peak times around holidays and while taking inventory. It is a real possibility you’d work 11 hours a day at regular wages. During war, which is now perpetual, as we will all see soon enough, you could easily work 16 hours a day due to emergency conditions and to support the troops. (Which has become a sick and slick euphemism for supporting war without having to admit you never gave a damn about the troops, never served yourself, now or in the past, but “hurrah for war” because of low self-esteem and self-loathing: i.e., many are just cowards that clamor to support the troops)
That these hourly wage alterations might entail barracks living and cafeterias would be a sad form of justice to the civilian workers clamoring for more wars. You would pay for room and board and meals. It is argued that the initial cost of the implementation of this program to employers would be $1 billion for changes and overall costs would be $2 billion. This would be offset by fewer lawsuits. Industries most affected would be construction, retail, health care, business services and personal services. This is George Bush’s answer to depression? Work the people harder for less money and fatten the corporate bottom line through bailouts and juicy contracts in war torn countries. Torn by wars that are illegal and now criminal as they speak of pipelines from Iraq to Israel!

http://www.craigbhulet.com/site/

176fu.gif

seeing as I'm Conservative i believe this should go in the basement, because it is meant to **** off people. but I'm not a moderator.

Thats not the dumbest piece I've ever read, but its darned close. Right now, only some of the 9/11 conspiracy stuff tops it in terms of sheer lunacy.

Who is this Craig B. Hulet anyway and what does he advocate? Tried to access the provided link, but it requires a password.

OK, the random bolding of words, not to mention the font and color switches, are extremely annoying. Please refrain from doing it again.

Billo_Really said:
This would signal the end of the 40-hour week as we have known it and workers could work 41 to 90 hours a week on a basic salary.

So? It's about time that the government stopped sticking its nose where it doesn't belong. The government has no right to decide what the "proper" work week is. If you want to take a job that requires you to work 60 hours a week, you have every right to do so. Similarly, if you only want to work 20 hours a week, go right ahead.

Billo_Really said:
The magnitude of this financial boon to corporations from the simple elimination of worker protections in areas of wage and hours is staggering.

Don't think of it as a financial boon; think of it as undoing the financial harm of the government mandating a 40-hour work week in the first place.

Billo_Really said:
This is a move back into the sweatshops of the early 1900s.

Oh please. If your employer is forcing you to work 60 hours a week and isn't paying you overtime (and if you're unhappy with that), then quit.

Billo_Really said:
This is why labor unions began in the first place. This, of course, is being implemented in the name of war and terrorism.

What does war and terrorism have to do with ANYTHING you're talking about?

Billo_Really said:
We ask where are the labor unions? Why haven’t they addressed this issue? These regulations apply to a real world where private litigation is prohibitively expensive for individual workers, and meaningful government oversight for employees no longer exists.

This author has been self-employed his entire life; yet supports the unions in the face of Corporatism’s known past.

Ridiculous beyond belief. Labor unions are relics of a long-gone era in American history, and rightfully so. They're no different than any other monopoly. What always amazes me is that people who claim to be "progressive" are the first to support these dinosaur institutions.

Billo_Really said:
It is suspected that this monstrosity will be phased in during peak times around holidays and while taking inventory. It is a real possibility you’d work 11 hours a day at regular wages. During war, which is now perpetual, as we will all see soon enough, you could easily work 16 hours a day due to emergency conditions and to support the troops.

So quit your job if you don't like the conditions.

Billo_Really said:
This is George Bush’s answer to depression? Work the people harder for less money and fatten the corporate bottom line through bailouts and juicy contracts in war torn countries. Torn by wars that are illegal and now criminal as they speak of pipelines from Iraq to Israel

All of these irrelevant war references merely demonstrate that the author is an unfocused ideologue. They have NOTHING to do with the subject at hand, and claiming a link between free-market supporters and war supporters is ridiculous and intellectually dishonest. With paragraphs like the above, one has to wonder whether the author even cares about being paid overtime or if it's just an excuse to rant against Bush...

Originally posted by Kandahar:
OK, the random bolding of words, not to mention the font and color switches, are extremely annoying. Please refrain from doing it again.
So what do you do but go right into "bolding" things yourself. I change the color to make it obvious for the reader which are my comments that I interject. I put things in bold to highlight the key points.

So? It's about time that the government stopped sticking its nose where it doesn't belong. The government has no right to decide what the "proper" work week is. If you want to take a job that requires you to work 60 hours a week, you have every right to do so. Similarly, if you only want to work 20 hours a week, go right ahead.
That has nothing to do with the point he was making.

Don't think of it as a financial boon; think of it as undoing the financial harm of the government mandating a 40-hour work week in the first place.
If I'm getting screwed, I just think that I'm not getting screwed, and that will solve my problem?

Oh please. If your employer is forcing you to work 60 hours a week and isn't paying you overtime (and if you're unhappy with that), then quit.
Are you sure it's my post you are responding too?

What does war and terrorism have to do with ANYTHING you're talking about?
Actually, it's Craig that was doing the talking and this is his point. All these things are being done under the guise of this bullshit war on terror.

Ridiculous beyond belief. Labor unions are relics of a long-gone era in American history, and rightfully so. They're no different than any other monopoly. What always amazes me is that people who claim to be "progressive" are the first to support these dinosaur institutions.
I'm not going to debate the pros and cons of unions. I haven't done any research in that area and could not contribute any qualifiable facts to the discussion. But I do know the problem with monopoly's does not rest on the workers side, but with management and the owners.

So quit your job if you don't like the conditions.
Again, what post are you responding too?

All of these irrelevant war references merely demonstrate that the author is an unfocused ideologue. They have NOTHING to do with the subject at hand, and claiming a link between free-market supporters and war supporters is ridiculous and intellectually dishonest. With paragraphs like the above, one has to wonder whether the author even cares about being paid overtime or if it's just an excuse to rant against Bush...
What have you read about Hulet? Why do you think they are "irrelevant war references"?

As far as Bush, there is a lot to rant about.

Originally posted by surftide:
seeing as I'm Conservative i believe this should go in the basement, because it is meant to **** off people. but I'm not a moderator.
I can tell you, without a doubt, you are wrong. It was not my intent to "...**** off..." anyone. Why should I have to pay for something that is your fault? You choose your own emotions. Be a responible adult and own them!

Originally posted by oldreliable67:
Thats not the dumbest piece I've ever read, but its darned close. Right now, only some of the 9/11 conspiracy stuff tops it in terms of sheer lunacy.
Why do you think that it's dumb?

Originally posted by oldreliable67:
Who is this Craig B. Hulet anyway and what does he advocate? Tried to access the provided link, but it requires a password
He's a political analyst that is quite an expert on the Bush family and seems to have a 100% success rate with his predictions. It is strange to see everything he says will happen in our political world, happens. The guy does is research and he knows his sh!t.

I won't opine as to the conspiracy parts of the article, but I certainly believe the conservatives and big business would like to do away with the OT laws. Application of these laws is already been whittled down by the change into a "white collar" economy and a modification to the OT laws last year.

It is cheaper for a company to work someone 16 hours a day than higher two employees. Without OT laws that is exactly what companies are incentived to do. The OT laws are meant to discourage working people 16 hours a day, and encourage instead businesses to higher more workers.

Get rid of minimum wage, and 16 hour work shifts. If you want to benefit companies, that is what to do -- and that is where the Republican party will take us if it can. That will make companies and their executives and shareholders richer. But is this progress? Is that the America we really want?

What's up next -- get rid of the child labor laws?

Back
Top Bottom