• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The police shooting of Jayland Walker (Akron, Ohio)

multivita-man

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
And sorry, I can't confirm if he was armed or not. I'm seeing conflicting reports that he was/wasn't

But 60 times?

another black guy in a car running from cops.....

we have heard this story it seems like a million times

i dont care what their issue was.....and i dont care how "scared" they were

you run, and suddenly what was a traffic stop just becomes something a LOT worse

it NEVER should have gotten to the point it did.....face whatever the traffic stop is.....deal with it in COURT

not going to talk about the shooting until we get more information.....

And sorry, I can't confirm if he was armed or not. I'm seeing conflicting reports that he was/wasn't

But 60 times?

Where do you see anything about "60 times"?

Maybe it's in the video. I skipped ahead and landed on the part where the lawyer said "he's a law-abiding citizen" and then stopped, because that's more than enough bullshit for one day.

Where do you see anything about "60 times"?

Maybe it's in the video. I skipped ahead and landed on the part where the lawyer said "he's a law-abiding citizen" and then stopped, because that's more than enough bullshit for one day.

Police fired more than 90 rounds at Walker during the encounter, striking him more than 60 times, including in his face, Bobby DiCello, the family's attorney, told BuzzFeed News, citing information that the family received from Akron Police Chief Steve Mylett.

Where do you even begin to reform such regular atrocities?

Have standards about actions and actually prosecute those that don't uphold them.

You left out the "shooting at cops while human" part.
I like how you left out "while black" in order to make your statement appear non-racist.

But 60 times?
See what ... there is no vidoe

Did he shoot at cops and then get in a high spped chase to outrun them?

I like how you left out "while black" in order to make your statement appear non-racist.

I didn't say "while black" because I'm NOT a racist. You should tell the person I was responding to. He's the one who made it about race (even though there's no evidence race had anything to do with it).

Walker had a gun in his car but was unarmed as he left his car and started to run on foot!

The fact that his body was struck 60X by bullets fired by the Akron Police while he attempted to flee is beyond all reasonable use of force!

.Black.

Shot 60 times by 8 officers.

And yeah, dead.

Just, wow.

ETA: Okay, I take back some of it - apparently he *was* armed but still, if they can take mass murderers into custody, surely they can this guy
When mass murderers are taken into custody it is usually because they surrender and comply with commands. If Dylan roof had led police on a high-speed chase while firing a gun at them he probably would’ve been killed.

But 60 times?
Why does the number of times matter? Either deadly force was justified or it wasn’t, the number of shots is irrelevant.

Walker had a gun in his car but was unarmed as he left his car and started to run on foot!

It is irrelevant whether he was factually unarmed when he left the car. He had already shot a police and was known to be armed and so police could reasonably assume he was armed and so if he made any furtive movement or twist towards the police while fleeing the deadly force is justified.
The fact that his body was struck 60X by bullets fired by the Akron Police while he attempted to flee is beyond all reasonable use of force!
Irrelevant. As long as every shot was deliberate and aimed and fired while the officers believed he was a threat, the number of shots is irrelevant to justification.

<<< Either deadly force was justified or it wasn’t, the number of shots is irrelevant.
So you're an advocate for "justice." Then surely you must embrace Derrick Chauvin's current imprisonment, as he was found 'guilty' by a jury of his peers for committing murder after having his day in a court of law, represented by his personally, hand-selected attorney ? Correct?

So you're an advocate for "justice." Then surely you must embrace Derrick Chauvin's current imprisonment, as he was found 'guilty' by a jury of his peers for committing murder after having his day in a court of law, represented by his personally, hand-selected attorney ? Correct?
What is this irrelevant diversion all about?

What is this irrelevant diversion all about?
You were talking about "justification" of the shooting of Jayland Walker in your post I responded to. I was merely pointing out that Derrick Chauvin, former LEO, was 'justly' convicted of committing murder, and is now 'justly' incarcerated for committing that murder, and that you must be glad, with your worldview, that "justice" was served in both cases.

Running while black.
How about lying down while black...

When Mr.Kinsey asked the cop why he shot him, the cop replied, "I don't know". Mr.Kinsey fortunately survived; dozens of other unarmed black men shot at the hands of out of control, untrained cops, did not.

Such events remind me that there are large disparities between what we, through our representatives, have enacted into law and the effective 'law' as carried out by our government's enforcement arm. In all probability, there is a state law in effect when such shootings occur. It lists the penalties for, say, resisting arrest. The enforcement arm of the government -- the police -- do not administer that law as written. Rather, they serve as both judge and jury and enact a sentence of death by gunshot.

It is also true that such a sentence, once carried out, cannot be reversed by any court, nor can reparations be made to the victim.

Regards, stay safe 'n well . . . 'n un-shot.

Why ask why when we already know why?

Before reading the story and doing searches for more info on this I already knew what the story would be.

Cops pull over perp, perp flees, perp shoots at cops, perp then continues to flee and gets shot, public shrieks that he was such a good boy and WHY did he have to die...WHY couldnt the cops just...well...let him go...dont chase him...why should they try to apprehend people that take off on high speed chases and shoot at cops? WHY?

And all I can say anymore is that since people are too ****ing stupid to send the message "Hey...stop running from cops, stop fighting with cops...and if you do, shit like this is going to happen and you deserve it", then I agree...stop apprehending criminals. Just let them go. Dont answer emergency calls...just wait for perpetrators to have sufficient guilt and turn themselves in.

Back
Top Bottom