• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The new Honda hybrid you've seen on TV commercials gets its review!

steen said:
Lobbying for less emisssion standards and fuel efficiency. That was the gist of the point I replied to, after all.
I thought their "Mission" was for NO emitions? I guess they do settle for less> :mrgreen: But hey its nice to see what all the countless Energy Summits with the automobile manufacturers and government money went into during the Clinton years. :2wave:

bandaidwoman said:
yes, i made very sure the battery was covered because i was bringing a big leasing contract (all my partners were going to lease the honda) i made very sure the battery was covered. I even had my lawyer for the partnership read it over. Perhaps they give a different contract to private individuals. If I do get into an accident or have dings, i have to pay for it just like any owner that is true. At which point, my auto insurance covers what it normally would cover and I pay for whatever is not covered by my auto insurance. Either way, after a year it has saved the partnership $22,600 in gas already, so my business partners are happy, and my environmental self is happy. (The total lease and and gas used are still less than the $22,600!) The benefit of crunching the numbers with our accountant every quarterly business meeting.
But your still putting out the same CO2 just like any other car on the road? Your just getting more miles for your gas though, which is a positive. Well if your happy, I guess that is all that counts $$ :mrgreen:

UtahBill said:
Instead of just looking at miles per gallon, look at cents per mile. Factor in the cost of just one battery bank replacement, and the hybrids fail at being economy cars, not to mention that maintenance can be a nightmare.
Yes, they are ecologically cleaner, but cars like the new VW Bug with the diesel engine are a far better deal.

About 20 years ago I had a diesel VW Rabbit. City mileage was about 40-45 mpg and highway was about 65 mpg.

stsburns said:
But your still putting out the same CO2 just like any other car on the road? Your just getting more miles for your gas though, which is a positive. Well if your happy, I guess that is all that counts $$ :mrgreen:

Not sure, I do know it does not idle at stops (the engine cuts off) which is probably how it saves gas when I do a lot of city driving but isn't that (idling at stops) a big source of emissions? I'll have to look into it.

This is a link that talks about the 2003 honda hybrid and how that particular model reduced emissions but I'm not sure if it applies to my 2005

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/06-12-2003/0001964456&EDATE=

The 2003 Civic Hybrid, currently sold in California, is the only hybrid
vehicle to achieve this stringent emissions level, producing about 90-percent
fewer smog-forming engine emissions than required of a typical new vehicle.
The Civic Hybrid joins the natural gas-powered Civic GX as the only two...

Last edited:
bandaidwoman said:
Not sure, I do know it does not idle at stops (the engine cuts off) which is probably how it saves gas when I do a lot of city driving but isn't that (idling at stops) a big source of emissions? I'll have to look into it.

This is a link that talks about the 2003 honda hybrid and how that particular model reduced emissions but I'm not sure if it applies to my 2005

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/06-12-2003/0001964456&EDATE=
Then not to mention their is an incentive from the government for owning one! So their are two positives: more miles, more money from IRS.

Back
Top Bottom