• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The New Chickenhawks

Whats the justification?
Is the US threatened?
The justification is the clear evidence somewhere between 1000-1400 people, many women and children, were indiscriminately murdered by chemical warfare, which has long been considered a no-no in world affairs.

Whether it's any of our business can be debated, but if we were to attack, there would be justification.

More con quibble-

Have you EVER heard me say anything about ANY mission? Have I told ANY 'war story' (it was Ray trying to hint he crossed out of Vietnam to hit the Ho-Chi-min, might want to look at him not me) Ever shared how I got hit? No ya puke those are stories for a very select few so double stuff your quoting others.

You are full of crap, you can't swing a dead cat in here without a vet saying yes he served. So again.... sit down little man... grown-ups are talking...[/QUOTE]

There's that quiet dignity I was referring to or should I say lack thereof. You are the only one in here that talks like it is 1969 or at least what he thinks that talk was and you are the only one that tries to validate his opinion on all things military and delegitimize everyone else's opinion with your "I was a grunt" line. There are several career military guys in here that have expertise on current weapons and warfare that I have nothing but respect for and when they talk I listen. These guys never attempt to trash anyone who chose not to make the military their life's work though or belittle their views, they have that "quiet dignity" thing. You may or may not be a combat vet and I truly don't care one way or the other but when you constantly refer to a couple years of your life 40 plus years ago as giving you expertise on the subject of current military issues and saying that makes your opinion more valuable than those that never served, it's hard to take you serious. Once again, just sayin.:) I'm not trashing you here just trying to be helpful and promote real debate. Don't fire off an angry response just think about what I said. I have to get back to work on putting in my winters wood so I won't see what you post until tonight anyway or even tomorrow morning depending on how tired I am. 60 is getting old to split wood all day! :lol:

The justification is the clear evidence somewhere between 1000-1400 people, many women and children, were indiscriminately murdered by chemical warfare, which has long been considered a no-no in world affairs.

Whether it's any of our business can be debated, but if we were to attack, there would be justification.
How many of them are Americans?
And how many will we kill to avenge those 1400?
And is it our duty to avenge those 1400?
If so. Why?
If it ends up requiring "boots on the ground", are you ready to strap up?

Oh, I'm sorry, you've been on "Ignore" for some time.

that's hysterical wehr, how exactly do you define "ignore"? Your definition of "ignore" seems to be "stop responding once Vern has proven I have no clue".

How many of them are Americans?
I'm not aware of any. But it doesn't mean a US strike would not be justified. 1400 people being indiscriminately murdered by their leader is a justification.

You can argue whether it's any of our business to get involved. That's fine. You simply cannot argue it wouldn't be justified.
And how many will we kill to avenge those 1400?
And is it our duty to avenge those 1400?
If so. Why?
As I said in my last post, those are certainly fair questions. I'm not arguing for or against the strikes. Quite honestly, I'm not sure how I feel about it. What I am saying is that Syria and Iraq are not alike and, unlike in Iraq, if we are to intervene militarily, there would be legitimate justification for it.
If it ends up requiring "boots on the ground", are you ready to strap up?
Stupid question, for so many reasons.

Stupid question, for so many reasons.
Name one reason.
That's the whole deal about a chicken hawk. One that is pushing for others to do a military action, yet have no direct involvement themselves.

Name one reason.
How about the fact I literally just said I'm not advocating a strike? That I'm not sure how I feel about it?
That's the whole deal about a chicken hawk. One that is pushing for others to do a military action, yet have no direct involvement themselves.
And that's the thing about stupid questions...they usually are about something incredibly irrelevant or ask for an answer already given. You somehow managed to incorporate both conditions into yours.

They used the term chickenhawk during Vietnam as well. I don't think it's necessary to have military service to have an opinion about the use o military force. When a person has the authority to implement military force however, an opinion isn't substantial enough to be able to be responsible to make an appropriate decision. Visiting military installations, speaking to men and women in service and a trip to a battlefield should be a requirement. Just sitting in Washington in a comfortable chair and trying to run the world isn't enough experience.

That's one thing that disappoints me about McCain. He more than most has the knowledge about military deployment yet he's among the first to send out the troops. Using the military should always be the last resort unless we are attacked directly.

How about the fact I literally just said I'm not advocating a strike? That I'm not sure how I feel about it?
And that's the thing about stupid questions...they usually are about something incredibly irrelevant or ask for an answer already given. You somehow managed to incorporate both conditions into yours.

So, you just cant or wont answer.
If needed, will YOU go to Syria to fight?
And you have not given real justification for us entering another countries civil war.

So, you just cant or wont answer.
Because it's a stupid question. Why do you continue insisting on stupid questions?
If needed, will YOU go to Syria to fight?
Asking a stupid question multiple times makes it no less stupid. You're asking an irrelevant question to this topic and your question is not within the scope of the argument. Were the situation to change in the future, to where we were to consider committing soldiers in Syria, then the conditions surrounding the question would change as well. But that is not the situation now, so I cannot begin to possibly answer your question because I do not know the conditions of your hypothetical to judge whether I would sign up or not, not to mention how many years down the road said soldier commitment were to occur which could eliminate me based on age or health limits.

You're asking a question based on a hypothetical which would require a drastic change in conditions to occur at an unknown time in the future. And that's not even taking into account I'm not even advocating for strikes in Syria. Quit asking stupid questions.
And you have not given real justification for us entering another countries civil war.
You don't think 1400 innocent people being murdered by a sarin gas attack, a so-called weapon of mass destruction, which is prohibited by international guidelines, is a justification for targeted strikes?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom