• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Most Important Book I Read From the '90s

XDU

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other

This was the book which confirmed my hunch that there was something wrong with the anti-intellectual right's appeal to pragmatism. It convinced me that it really didn't know what it was talking about and was a tool of its opposition.

This gallery includes my favorite chapters from the book: https://postimg.cc/gallery/szH2GR9

OK. So, we read the book and get back to you? What's your point?

One of the points might be how obviously correct the book has predicted the GOP's fall into Trumpism. The decline of the Republicans (now Trumpers) has been astounding by any measure....

The decline of elected Rep/cons started many yrs ago when Rep/con voters felt they were only being given lip-service, so they started getting radical, right around Tea-party time. Trump saw the parade and stepped in front of it, going another mile by promising even more than what the elected Reps had been promising but failing to deliver. "Trumpism" was already there. Like with everything else, he just put his name on it and called it his. He can always take his shingle, step away, and leave everybody holding the bag. Which he always does.

The decline of elected Rep/cons started many yrs ago when Rep/con voters felt they were only being given lip-service, so they started getting radical, right around Tea-party time. Trump saw the parade and stepped in front of it, going another mile by promising even more than what the elected Reps had been promising but failing to deliver. "Trumpism" was already there. Like with everything else, he just put his name on it and called it his. He can always take his shingle, step away, and leave everybody holding the bag. Which he always does.
People are foolish to vote for anyone based on "promises"

People are foolish to vote for anyone based on "promises"

Snake oil salesmen and flim-flam men. They're everywhere. We buy from them and elect them all the time.

This was the book which confirmed my hunch that there was something wrong with the anti-intellectual right's appeal to pragmatism. It convinced me that it really didn't know what it was talking about and was a tool of its opposition.

This gallery includes my favorite chapters from the book: https://postimg.cc/gallery/szH2GR9
Well , after several decades you still don't get it.
Pragmatism got Pragmatism wrong !!!
THe Father of Pragmatism is C S Peirce and he was so disgusted with P. (which he fathered) that he changed the name to Pragmaticism
Progressivism got things still more wrong.
As to blaming the right, you should know that it was the left , most especially James and Dewey , that screwed things up and they are undeniable LEFT !!!

C S Peirce was a very devout and very orthodox CHRISTIAN
He despised the Left's appropriation of Darwin
“the Gospel of Greed.” Peirce points out the occurrence of such selfish, greed-based thinking in the modern politico-economical structures, and in Darwin’s biological principle of natural selection based on the competition of private interests.

Finally, Peirce would not accept a speck of your politics

"Peirce was, furthermore, explicit about this being a conservative doctrine: “ . . . true conservatism, I say, means not trusting to reasonings about questions of vital importance but rather to hereditary instincts and traditional sentiments.”6“The opinion prevalent among radicals that conservatives, and sentimentalists generally, are fools is only a cropping-out of the tendency of men to conceited exaggeration of their reasoning powers.”7
Collected Works Vol 1.662.

Back
Top Bottom