• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The librarian who couldn’t take it anymore

Loulit01

Leftist Filth
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
KISSIMMEE, Fla. — It was her last Monday morning in the library, and when Tania Galiñanes walked into her office and saw another box, she told herself that this would be the last one.

Inside were books. She didn’t know how many, or what they were, only that she would need to review each one by hand for age-appropriate material and sexual content as defined by Florida law, just as she’d been doing for months now with the 11,600 books on the shelves outside her door at Tohopekaliga High School.

Last box, and then after this week, she would no longer be a librarian at all.

Yes, Tania knew about it. It was one more thing the state had asked of them, a mandatory recitation of parts of the Declaration of Independence “to reaffirm the American ideals of individual liberty,” along with something else she had heard from the district. “They asked us to please not celebrate Banned Books Week,” Tania said.

he books went back in the box. The box went on a cart. Tania asked one of her student assistants to return it to the teacher’s classroom, and then she walked to her desk and to the purple folder.

Inside, there were printouts of 79 pages of Florida law and statute that told her how to think about what students should and should not read. One law made it easier for people to challenge books they believed contained sexual conduct or age-inappropriate material. Another defined that term, “sexual conduct,” in layer upon layer of clinical specificity.

When she had decided to become a librarian almost 10 years ago, it was for a simple reason: She loved to read. Now she watched as the work she did at a high school in Central Florida became part of a national debate. There were fights going on over democracy and fascism. There were parents and school board members arguing on social media and in meetings. Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) wasn’t just passing laws but using them to run for president. To Tania, the pure act of reading was becoming more and more political, and as a result, she had to spend much of her time reviewing the books on her shelves — not to suggest one to a student but to ask herself whether the content was too mature for the teenagers at her school. Then she had moved on to the books in each teacher’s classroom, because as of this year, the state considered those books to be part of the library, too.

This one really hurts. Librarians saved my life.

This is not about books. It's not about inappropriate material for kids. This is not about:

• 48%: Percentage of banned books that dealt with violence or physical abuse, including books that include sexual assault
  • 42%: Percentage of banned books that cover topics on health and wellbeing, including mental health, bullying, suicide, substance abuse, sexual wellbeing and puberty
  • 33%: Percentage of books banned that detail sexual experiences between characters
  • 30%: Percentage of banned books that included characters of color and themes of race and racism
  • 30%: Percentage of banned books that included representations of LGBTQ+ identities
  • 29%: Percentage of book bans that include instances or themes of grief and death
  • 6%: Percentage of banned books that included a transgender character
This is about:

“Freedom Week.”

Yes, Tania knew about it. It was one more thing the state had asked of them, a mandatory recitation of parts of the Declaration of Independence “to reaffirm the American ideals of individual liberty,” along with something else she had heard from the district. “They asked us to please not celebrate Banned Books Week,” Tania said.

This is political indoctrination. This is anti-intellectualism.

This the bad guys winning. The bad guys winning.

It's enough to turn this progressive into a libertarian. ;) I'm getting sick of our rights getting our freedom peeled one layer at a time. I'd had my full of it.

KISSIMMEE, Fla. — It was her last Monday morning in the library, and when Tania Galiñanes walked into her office and saw another box, she told herself that this would be the last one.

Inside were books. She didn’t know how many, or what they were, only that she would need to review each one by hand for age-appropriate material and sexual content as defined by Florida law, just as she’d been doing for months now with the 11,600 books on the shelves outside her door at Tohopekaliga High School.

he books went back in the box. The box went on a cart. Tania asked one of her student assistants to return it to the teacher’s classroom, and then she walked to her desk and to the purple folder.

Inside, there were printouts of 79 pages of Florida law and statute that told her how to think about what students should and should not read. One law made it easier for people to challenge books they believed contained sexual conduct or age-inappropriate material. Another defined that term, “sexual conduct,” in layer upon layer of clinical specificity.

When she had decided to become a librarian almost 10 years ago, it was for a simple reason: She loved to read. Now she watched as the work she did at a high school in Central Florida became part of a national debate. There were fights going on over democracy and fascism. There were parents and school board members arguing on social media and in meetings. Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) wasn’t just passing laws but using them to run for president. To Tania, the pure act of reading was becoming more and more political, and as a result, she had to spend much of her time reviewing the books on her shelves — not to suggest one to a student but to ask herself whether the content was too mature for the teenagers at her school. Then she had moved on to the books in each teacher’s classroom, because as of this year, the state considered those books to be part of the library, too.

This is not about books. It's not about inappropriate material for kids. This is not about:

• 48%: Percentage of banned books that dealt with violence or physical abuse, including books that include sexual assault
  • 42%: Percentage of banned books that cover topics on health and wellbeing, including mental health, bullying, suicide, substance abuse, sexual wellbeing and puberty
  • 33%: Percentage of books banned that detail sexual experiences between characters
  • 30%: Percentage of banned books that included characters of color and themes of race and racism
  • 30%: Percentage of banned books that included representations of LGBTQ+ identities
  • 29%: Percentage of book bans that include instances or themes of grief and death
This is about:

“Freedom Week.”

At the rate that literacy is declining in the US, there soon won't be any "need" to "ban books".

As a child first fascinated with comic books, I very quickly became an avid reader with a very expanded vocabulary. In the 6th grade, I had a 12th grade level of reading comprehension - or so the tests said. Before I was 10 years old, “a book a day keeps reality away.” became an unexpressed motto in my life. I read voraciously, occasionally right through the night when immersed in a book that I “couldn’t put down”. I might have become what would be described as a precocious child, but in all those many volumes, I never once read a book that was “inappropriate for my age”. Sure, there were often some “adult” things I didn’t fully understand at the time, but never anything that damaged me in any way. Never.

The “solution” to the “problem” of reading things over my head, or “beyond my age”, was never to reduce or limit my reading. Never!
The “solution” was simply to read more!

The mind, whether of a child, or an adult, grasps only what it is prepared to. Anything beyond that is simply released, like a branch upon which we find no perch.

This is about:

“Freedom Week.”

Saw a lady in the grocery wearing a T shirt with large print. Just four words.

"I Read Banned Books"

Loved it.

This is about:

“Freedom Week.”

Frightening.

As a child first fascinated with comic books, I very quickly became an avid reader with a very expanded vocabulary. In the 6th grade, I had a 12th grade level of reading comprehension - or so the tests said. Before I was 10 years old, “a book a day keeps reality away.” became an unexpressed motto in my life. I read voraciously, occasionally right through the night when immersed in a book that I “couldn’t put down”. I might have become what would be described as a precocious child, but in all those many volumes, I never once read a book that was “inappropriate for my age”. Sure, there were often some “adult” things I didn’t fully understand at the time, but never anything that damaged me in any way. Never.

The “solution” to the “problem” of reading things over my head, or “beyond my age”, was never to reduce or limit my reading. Never!
The “solution” was simply to read more!

The mind, whether of a child, or an adult, grasps only what it is prepared to. Anything beyond that is simply released, like a branch upon which we find no perch.
I'm much the same. I read Gone with the Wind in 4th grade. The reading test I remember was in third grade. The chart ran from 1st grade to 8th grade. I was off the chart.

Freshman year I was walking home from school and I saw our town library was having a book sale on the lawn. I bought as many as I could carry. One was
1699724939307.png

I read it over and over. By the time I put that knowledge to use, years later, I found the book quite helpful. Quite helpful.

Librarians are awesome.

Last edited:
Saw a lady in the grocery wearing a T shirt with large print. Just four words.

"I Read Banned Books"

Loved it.
I'm going online to buy it right now. Already have a "Got Books? t-shirt, and an "I May Be Old But I Got to See All The Cool Bands" t-shirt.

Let parents, not the government, choose books for their own kids.

This is about:

“Freedom Week.”

As a kid I read a sci fi short story about libraries being the last bastion of knowledge. They were like speak easies, hidden behind color coded doors, green for nature, red for romance etc. It was where I first came across the term "Rainbow" as anything more than a natural phenomenon; they were libraries that carried a small number of all kinds of books.

I think we're there. What happens in America becomes semi-popular in Canada two to three years later so I guess we should start shooting book burners now.

For people who hate books? How did they ever come to know what's in them without reading them? Shouldn't you know what the **** you're banning?

Back
Top Bottom