• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Five Crowns

Overitall

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
One of the subjects I haven't visited for quite some time are the five crowns mentioned in the NT that are available for Christians. My memory is not as clear on the subject as it once was and so hopefully others can contribute to refresh (or enlighten) my mind on this matter.

I'll begin with, what I recall being the first crown mentioned.

I Corinthians 9:24, 25:
Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.
And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in an things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.

In verse 25 it said that the one who strives in the contest has to be "... temperate in all things." A literal translation according to usage of this indicates that the individual contestant is to "exercise self control in all disciplined training."

My understanding of this one is that when we walk with discipline according to the example Jesus Christ exemplified we will receive the "incorruptible" crown. (As a side note the word "crown" is omitted before the word "incorruptible" to emphasize the nature of the crown, rather than the crown itself. It's a figure of speech.)

This one is a difficult one to achieve, for there's many roadblocks that the adversary (the devil) will put in our path to push us off the path God would have us walk. Nevertheless, the fact that it's in the Bible and we are encouraged to strive for it clearly means it's achievable. I'm sure God takes into account our moments of weakness. So, imho, this one involves our heart's desire to walk in the footsteps of Jesus Christ to the best of our ability, while acknowledging when we fall short.

Now, I don't pretend to know what this crown will actually look like when it's passed out at the throne of God, but that doesn't really matter. It gives us a goal to work towards.

Depending on the interest on this subject I hope to cover the other four crowns available to Christians. Hopefully there are some that knows the subject well and can make this thread one of gaining more knowledge of what we, as Christians, have to look forward to other than eternal life.

"Crown" in the Bible can also be used figuratively...I think that is more what Paul was speaking of in 1 Corinthians...it is the reward for faithfulness...immortal life...

Jesus Christ, who had been made “a little lower than angels,” was “crowned with glory and honor [as a heavenly spirit creature exalted far above the angels] for having suffered death.” (Heb 2:5-9; Php 2:5-11)

In heaven, Jesus’ anointed followers receive as a reward for faithfulness “the unfadable crown of glory,” an “incorruptible one.” (1Pe 5:4; 1Co 9:24-27; 2Ti 4:7, 8; Re 2:10)

But unfaithfulness that results in one’s loss of Kingdom interests on earth also means his loss of the heavenly crown. Hence, the glorified Jesus Christ admonished: “Keep on holding fast what you have, that no one may take your crown.”—Re 3:11.
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200001078

"Crown" in the Bible can also be used figuratively...I think that is more what Paul was speaking of in 1 Corinthians...it is the reward for faithfulness...immortal life...

Jesus Christ, who had been made “a little lower than angels,” was “crowned with glory and honor [as a heavenly spirit creature exalted far above the angels] for having suffered death.” (Heb 2:5-9; Php 2:5-11)

In heaven, Jesus’ anointed followers receive as a reward for faithfulness “the unfadable crown of glory,” an “incorruptible one.” (1Pe 5:4; 1Co 9:24-27; 2Ti 4:7, 8; Re 2:10)

But unfaithfulness that results in one’s loss of Kingdom interests on earth also means his loss of the heavenly crown. Hence, the glorified Jesus Christ admonished: “Keep on holding fast what you have, that no one may take your crown.”—Re 3:11.
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200001078
Yes, I also recognize it as a figure of speech. Although my memory juices are slow, the faithfulness, imo, seems to be tied to sharing the Gospel of Christ. I’m inclined to think that because the entire ninth chapter is focused on it and that is the “race” (figure of speech emphasizing urgency perhaps) we are in. Running a race requires disciplined training, otherwise finishing the race will be out of reach for us.

Verse 26 – 27 goes on say:
"I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air: But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway."

I think part of that disciplined training involves 2 Timothy 2:15 where we are instructed to study the scriptures with one objective in mind – rightly dividing (interpreting) the Word of truth. It’s the Truth (when rightly divided) that sets men free.

I'll give your other points some more thought. I just wanted to share with you the things off the top of my mind. Thanks for contributing. I look forward to more from you.

Off the top of my head from a study I read. Every Christian who longs for the return of Christ receives a crown.

Off the top of my head from a study I read. Every Christian who longs for the return of Christ receives a crown.
Yes, that's right. I was planning on going over that later, but the Scripture upon which it's based is 2 Timothy 4:8

"Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.”

Ever since you brought this up I've been thinking of what it means to "love his appearing". Would you like to take a stab at sharing what it means to you. Someone else can chime in on it also, if they feel up to it.

Yes, that's right. I was planning on going over that later, but the Scripture upon which it's based is 2 Timothy 4:8

"Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.”

I know all teachings in the Bible are important but the crowns have always been my least worry. It's important for knowing what a false teaching is but I just don't roll that well with crowns.

I know all teachings in the Bible are important but the crowns have always been my least worry. It's important for knowing what a false teaching is but I just don't roll that well with crowns.
Fair enough. I don't view the crowns in the sense of what we should be aiming for in our walk with God. If anything they are there just to tell us our walk doesn't go unnoticed by God.

Ever since you brought this up I've been thinking of what it means to "love his appearing". Would you like to take a stab at sharing what it means to you. Someone else can chime in on it also, if they feel up to it.
I understand the phrase to mean when Christ takes his reign over the earth, he will then make his "manifestation"...the word used in the NWT...study note that accompanies it...

all those who have loved his manifestation: During his presence in royal power, Christ would turn his attention to spirit-anointed Christians who had been sleeping in death. (1Th 4:15, 16) He would reward them by resurrecting them to immortal life in heaven, fulfilling his promise to receive them home to himself. (Joh 14:3; Re 14:13; In this way, Christ would be powerfully manifested to them. Seeing their beloved Master in his heavenly glory is an event they “have loved,” or have longed for. Faithful Christians who hope to live on earth under the rule of God’s heavenly Kingdom are also eagerly looking forward to Christ’s manifestation when all will clearly recognize Jesus in his glorious and powerful position in heaven.—Da 2:44;

the crown of righteousness: Paul used the Greek word rendered “crown” elsewhere. For instance, at 1Co 9:25, 26, he used it to refer to the literal crown, or wreath, that was awarded to victorious athletes. In that same passage, he wrote that he hoped to receive a far better reward—“a crown . . . that does not perish.” Paul here refers to that same reward as “the crown of righteousness.” When anointed Christians keep living by righteous standards until death, the Lord Jesus Christ, referred to here as “the righteous judge,” is delighted to grant them this crown—the reward of immortal life in heaven.

in that day: Paul here refers, not to the day of his death, but to the much later time when Christ is ruling as King of God’s Kingdom. Paul and all other anointed ones in the grave would be raised to immortal life in heaven.—1Th 4:14-16; 2Ti 1:12.
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/b/r1/lp-e/nwtsty/55/4#s=8&study=discover

Last edited:
I understand the phrase to mean when Christ take his reign over the earth, he will then make his "manifestation"...the word used in the NWT...study note that accompanies it...

all those who have loved his manifestation: During his presence in royal power, Christ would turn his attention to spirit-anointed Christians who had been sleeping in death. (1Th 4:15, 16) He would reward them by resurrecting them to immortal life in heaven, fulfilling his promise to receive them home to himself. (Joh 14:3; Re 14:13; In this way, Christ would be powerfully manifested to them. Seeing their beloved Master in his heavenly glory is an event they “have loved,” or have longed for. Faithful Christians who hope to live on earth under the rule of God’s heavenly Kingdom are also eagerly looking forward to Christ’s manifestation when all will clearly recognize Jesus in his glorious and powerful position in heaven.—Da 2:44;

the crown of righteousness: Paul used the Greek word rendered “crown” elsewhere. For instance, at 1Co 9:25, 26, he used it to refer to the literal crown, or wreath, that was awarded to victorious athletes. In that same passage, he wrote that he hoped to receive a far better reward—“a crown . . . that does not perish.” Paul here refers to that same reward as “the crown of righteousness.” When anointed Christians keep living by righteous standards until death, the Lord Jesus Christ, referred to here as “the righteous judge,” is delighted to grant them this crown—the reward of immortal life in heaven.

in that day: Paul here refers, not to the day of his death, but to the much later time when Christ is ruling as King of God’s Kingdom. Paul and all other anointed ones in the grave would be raised to immortal life in heaven.—1Th 4:14-16; 2Ti 1:12.
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/b/r1/lp-e/nwtsty/55/4#s=8&study=discover
Thanks Daisy! You always manage to give food for thought.

My simple mind has always thought of those who "love his appearing" being those that exert themselves, as athletes, striving to run the race of living for our Lord Jesus Christ by spreading his Gospel. For we are not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ. If that is true of us, we would/should take every opportunity we have to share it with others.

Of course discipline comes into play. For instance we should not use our time at work to spread the Gospel. I once had someone (an unbeliever) point out to me that one of my co-workers (a brother in Christ) spent more time preaching than working. He was considered to be a lazy man. Break times are fair to use for preaching, but being a good worker can open a door of opportunity, while being a lazy one might close the door. But I digress.

Thanks Daisy! You always manage to give food for thought.

My simple mind has always thought of those who "love his appearing" being those that exert themselves, as athletes, striving to run the race of living for our Lord Jesus Christ by spreading his Gospel. For we are not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ. If that is true of us, we would/should take every opportunity we have to share it with others.

Of course discipline comes into play. For instance we should not use our time at work to spread the Gospel. I once had someone (an unbeliever) point out to me that one of my co-workers (a brother in Christ) spent more time preaching than working. He was considered to be a lazy man. Break times are fair to use for preaching, but being a good worker can open a door of opportunity, while being a lazy one might close the door. But I digress.
You're welcome...that is one thing I love about the NWT...it tends to dig deeper on the scriptures, in fact, it refers to the extra study notes contained as "spiritual gems"...they truly are since they cause us to dig under the surface...

You're welcome...that is one thing I love about the NWT...it tends to dig deeper on the scriptures, in fact, it refers to the extra study notes contained as "spiritual gems"...they truly are since they cause us to dig under the surface...
My personal Bible (in the KJV) is Bullinger's Companion Bible. His notes are very exhaustive.

I found this: https://www.gotquestions.org/heavenly-crowns.html

One of my grandmothers frequently referred to a "crown in heaven," but every time I ponder, all I can think of is that I don't even want one. I just want to be welcomed home.

"I have fought the good fight. I have finished the race. I have kept the faith" (2 Timothy: 7-8).

One of my grandmothers frequently referred to a "crown in heaven," but every time I ponder, all I can think of is that I don't even want one. I just want to be welcomed home.

"I have fought the good fight. I have finished the race. I have kept the faith" (2 Timothy: 7-8).
Agreed, I don't even like a hat on my head... :giggle:

If you liked horse racing you would be expected to wear a hat at the Derby. ;)

If you liked horse racing you would be expected to wear a hat at the Derby. ;)
I wouldn't go...:p...my daughter's been, though, she loves it and the big hats...she's a true southern belle...

And so you will be! That, imho, expresses the heart of one that loves his appearing.
Amen!

All these mini-kings wandering about. Not very democratic, is it?

I do like them but don't wear them because they squash my hair. And tiaras hurt.

welcome home IS sufficient.

a crown in heaven will be Over the Top, better than the Olympics.

c your life defffffg.gif

All these mini-kings wandering about. Not very democratic, is it?
The Kingdom of God is not a democracy, but is ruled by a benevolent King. His people will be blessed to be in His Kingdom.

The "Crowns" under discussion are comparable to the wreaths given out to winners in the Olympics.

Lest we forget... :giggle:

4507d69fcdf2866724d147c6fc9b230f.jpg

The "Crowns" under discussion are comparable to the wreaths given out to winners in the Olympics.
Or a good marketing strategy to gain and keep customers. Ask Burger King:

1699993045680.png

Cute, but I don't want to encourage turning this topic into a cute discussion. I take it seriously, and the very least I expect from others is to respect that.
Sorry, I guess I opened that avenue up with my post about grey hair but that was not my intention...merely showing that there are different kinds of crowns and not all of them are heavy or with gold, and gems set in them...

Back
Top Bottom