• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Everyday Discrimination Scale

There exists some level of racism, it is non-zero. It just isn't the systemic thing that race war folks are claiming it to be (or at the very least we don't KNOW)

Why don't we know? Because there are a whole host of things that affect the black community to a much greater degree than anyone else.

My suggestion would be to focus the attention on fixing those areas of over-representation and then see where that puts you. It is likely there is much less resistance that way also because you don't have to demean anyone or call them all racists?

And as I ststaed earlier, all people stricken by poverty will be AS effected, on that list as much as POC.

I answered your "people in poverty" input and you have apparently decided to just skip over that.
And the thread is not about "systemic" racism, but rather the racism of "a thousand small cuts" that many if not most blacks suffer on a weekly and even daily basis. That needs an acknowledgment if it is going to change.
And I don't "have to" call anyone racist unless and until they show a bent towards always having negative remarks about blacks when the subject becomes race. Yes, that is racism, the lumping together of an entire race in a negative manner because of the actions of only some of them.

I answered your "people in poverty" input and you have apparently decided to just skip over that.
And the thread is not about "systemic" racism, but rather the racism of "a thousand small cuts" that many if not most blacks suffer on a weekly and even daily basis. That needs an acknowledgment if it is going to change.
And I don't "have to" call anyone racist unless and until they show a bent towards always having negative remarks about blacks when the subject becomes race. Yes, that is racism, the lumping together of an entire race in a negative manner because of the actions of only some of them.
Where did you answer anything? I will for sure go read it.

The following chart was developed by Dr David Williams of Harvard University to determine if discrimination, such as racism, is present in a person’s life:

In your day-to-day life, how often do any of the following things happen to you?
1. You are treated with less courtesy than other people are.
2. You are treated with less respect than other people are.
3. You receive poorer service than other people at restaurants or stores.
4. People act as if they think you are not smart.
5. People act as if they are afraid of you.
6. People act as if they think you are dishonest.
7. People act as if they’re better than you are.
8. You are called names or insulted.
9. You are threatened or harassed.

Recommended response categories for all items: Almost everyday
At least once a week
A few times a month
A few times a year Less than once a year
Never

As a white person all my life, some of these items MAY have happened every once in a while, but the answer in my case is basically NEVER. For many if not most blacks, however, some of these items basically happen every single day of their life. Is that an indication of racism in this nation?

A score of six or more may just mean you're on vacation in France.

Back
Top Bottom