• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Democrat debate: gun control (1 Viewer)

Because women have feelings and men do not? Is that the clear implication of your quip?

Women often apeal to emotional arguments. Men usually perform better in college logic and critical thinking courses as an example.

The problem is not really the gun....its the ammo. If you regulate ammo and ammo loading supplies eventually you make it more difficult to have it in the wrong hands

Ammo still falls under "arms" in legal dictionaries so 2A will still protect it.

Curious. What are the odds anyones children here would die in a mass shooting?

I can wait

-VySky

Let's do math. 329,461,530 US residents U.S. Population (2019) - Worldometers
Between 10.8 and 12 million illegals = 11.4 million Illegal Immigration Statistics - FactCheck.org
84,238,452 tourists annually United States Tourist Arrivals | 2019 | Data | Chart | Calendar | Forecast

= 425,100,072 potential targets annually

5 year average mass shooting fatalities = 66.2; Highest year = 117; Last 3 years = 89.3 Mass Shootings in the US: See 37 Years in One Chart | Time

425,100,072 people with a high of 117 mass shooters = 1 in 3.6 million annual chance or 1 in 45,400 lifetime

5 year avg = 1 in 64.2 million

Last 3 years = 1 in 4.8 million

Divide by 80 lifetime.

Last edited:
If we repeal the 19th Amendment facts will replace feelings.

Ah, so it's not really about guns for you after all. Is it?

Between 10.8 and 12 million illegals = 11.4 million Illegal Immigration Statistics - FactCheck.org
84,238,452 tourists annually United States Tourist Arrivals | 2019 | Data | Chart | Calendar | Forecast

5 year average mass shooting fatalities = 66.2; Highest year = 117; Last 3 years = 89.3 Mass Shootings in the US: See 37 Years in One Chart | Time

425,100,072 people with a high of 117 mass shooters = 1 in 3.6 million annual chance or 1 in 45,400 lifetime

Indeed the metrics lay down a perfect case for acceptable risk

-VySky

Your math is a little off. Rather than calculate the bodies you really need to calculate the # of incidents as the divider. There are 425100072 people divided by 11 incidents. That makes the odds more like 1 in 42,000,000. And 1-that is an outlier...a very high number per year. Typically the number is 3 per year.

There have been 18 school shootings in 37 years. There are some 360000 schools the odds of a child being involved in a mass shooting at a school in any given year are extraordinarily small.

Indeed the metrics lay down a perfect case for acceptable risk

-VySky

It gets more interesting. That’s just mass shooting. That doesn’t discuss the day to day violence which is potentially much higher. 1.2 million violent crimes and an average of about 14.5 thousand murders annually. That sounds a lot...BUT...statistically...if you stay out of major democrat controlled cities in the US the likelihood of you becoming a victim shrinks dramatically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your math is a little off. Rather than calculate the bodies you really need to calculate the # of incidents as the divider. There are 425100072 people divided by 11 incidents. That makes the odds more like 1 in 42,000,000. And 1-that is an outlier...a very high number per year. Typically the number is 3 per year.

There have been 18 school shootings in 37 years. There are some 360000 schools the odds of a child being involved in a mass shooting at a school in any given year are extraordinarily small.

I was being pessimistic in risk assessment.

False

Since the devastating massacre at Columbine High School on April 20, 1999, the United States has seen more than 230 school shootings, not including ones at colleges or universities, according to data from the Washington Post.

By the Numbers: School Shootings Since Columbine - NBC 7 San Diego

Sheesh

False

Sheesh
MASS shootings was the topic of discussion...not the random ****head taking a pot shot at someone for wearing the wrong colors.

Sheeesh.

It gets more interesting. That’s just mass shooting. That doesn’t discuss the day to day violence which is potentially much higher. 1.2 million violent crimes and an average of about 14.5 thousand murders annually. That sounds a lot...BUT...statistically...if you stay out of major democrat controlled cities in the US the likelihood of you becoming a victim shrinks dramatically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw a stat where 1 in 68 Chicago residents will be murdered in their lifetimes.

False

Sheesh

You do realize they consider (2) armed gang banging thugs shooting it out within proximity of a school to be a 'school shooting'?

-VySky

I saw a stat where 1 in 68 Chicago residents will be murdered in their lifetimes.

Sounds like Chicago is one of thoese ****holes POTUS talked about

Residents must consider it acceptable risk to live there

Good on them

-VySky

That is probably a misleading statistic. If you live in metro Chicago or northern Chicago, you probably live a relatively safe life. South or West side...**** gets pretty real.

You do realize they consider (2) armed gang banging thugs shooting it out within proximity of a school to be a 'school shooting'?

-VySky
They do but only when they want to talk about attacking the gun rights of law abiding citizens. They NEVER talk about those shootings when it comes to DOING something...because now instead of talking about white men they have to talk about the VAST MAJORITY of shooters which are black men.

Heck...they even get the ethnic origin of mass shooters wrong. Stereotypically it is claimed that the vast majority of mass shooters are angry white young men. Historically there has been a pretty solid ethinic mix and over the last 35 shootings its been almost 50/50.

-VySky

Especially when they hit the kids

They do but only when they want to talk about attacking the gun rights of law abiding citizens. They NEVER talk about those shootings when it comes to DOING something...because now instead of talking about white men they have to talk about the VAST MAJORITY of shooters which are black men.

Heck...they even get the ethnic origin of mass shooters wrong. Stereotypically it is claimed that the vast majority of mass shooters are angry white young men. Historically there has been a pretty solid ethinic mix and over the last 35 shootings its been almost 50/50.

Race is important to you.....hmmmmmm

O'Rourke was the only confiscator. He would want my AR. I'll sell it to him at my price. Confiscation is robbery. I have a short double-barrel 12ga. to handle robbers.

I prefer archery for dear hunting.

Harris was a big fan. And the howling mob howled louder for that than anything

as to deer-don't hunt them anymore. Even though my wife is a trained chef, I never really got a real liking to venison so no reason to kill something I don't eat but I only took deer with bows. All kinds of bows. Rifle-way too easy

There is no logical reason to allow people to own assault rifles. None.

logical people aren't stupid enough to call those firearms "assault rifles"

and yes, honest citizens should be able to own legal assault rifles

not a single murder has ever been committed by a privately owned, legal assault rifle in US history

so your stupid comment has zero merit

Curious. What are the odds anyones children here would die in a mass shooting?

I can wait

-VySky

Close enough to zero to not be worth calculating. What's that have to do with my comment?

There is no logical reason to allow people to own assault rifles. None.

Sure there is. People want them, and there's no good reason not to let them have them.

Sure there is. People want them, and there's no good reason not to let them have them.

True-voting for Trump is most decidedly not a good reason to ban firearms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom