• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The days of the week are all dedicated to pagan Gods and Goddesses!

Jesus عليه السلام was born in the summer.

More likely the fall, since he was 33 1/2 years old when he died in the spring of the year...

I find it idiotic to destroy a topic with such stupid Spam.

It's even more idiotic to ask idiotic questions...:2razz:

I really do not understand you.

Maybe you are not interested in languages.

But this is no reason to mock this topic.

It is a pity to read such stupid comments like yours that destroy topics that are really worth while talking about.

Yes, it is because it is a stupid topic...

More likely the fall, since he was 33 1/2 years old when he died in the spring of the year...

And you were present on the scene then, I suppose. :mrgreen:

Do you think the weekdays are named similarly in all languages?

Correct. In Arabic, 6 of the days are simply numbered. Day 1, Day2, etc. How original. Only Friday gets special treatment as Gathering Day.

I really do not understand you.

Maybe you are not interested in languages.

But this is no reason to mock this topic.

It is a pity to read such stupid comments like yours that destroy topics that are really worth while talking about.
'Worth while talking about' is a subjective judgement. Dydd Sul hapus i chi!

And you were present on the scene then, I suppose. :mrgreen:

Bible chronology definitely gives us some insight on that but of course the Bible is something you know nothing about so no surprise there...

"Do you think the weekdays are named similarly in all languages?"

Answer - no I don't.

Correct. In Arabic, 6 of the days are simply numbered. Day 1, Day2, etc. How original. Only Friday gets special treatment as Gathering Day.

And do you think that Valery speaks only Arabic and nothing else?
And so has no idea what we are talking about?

:cool:

"Do you think the weekdays are named similarly in all languages?"

Answer - no I don't.

And do you think that Valery speaks only Arabic and nothing else?
And so has no idea what we are talking about?

:cool:

I have no idea which part of your brain has to be dominant for you to come up with some of your responses. I just know it needs rewiring.

Not unless you're worshiping the days of the week...:2razz:

TGIF obviously is code for a pagan cult that has become widespread.

I have no idea which part of your brain has to be dominant for you to come up with some of your responses. I just know it needs rewiring.

2nd childhood...:2razz:

Can't you write without personal insults?

*ignore*

Who is Mittwoch named for?

Noone. Someone in the church noticed the blatant paganism and got it changed to the Yiddish name for "Middle-Week" instead.
But the English Wednesday is named for the old Saxon-German Wednesday -> Wodanaz-tag/Wodens-dag -> Odin's Day.

Noone. Someone in the church noticed the blatant paganism and got it changed to the Yiddish name for "Middle-Week" instead.
But the English Wednesday is named for the old Saxon-German Wednesday -> Wodanaz-tag/Wodens-dag -> Odin's Day.

How do these work? Church and Yiddish?

I come from Danish/German roots, Odin/Woden and Thor were always said to have been big in Norse Mythology. After looking up Thor, I see he is Orin’s offspring.

@ Tuesday

The name Tuesday derives from the Old English "Tiwesdæg" and literally means "Tiw's Day".[1] Tiw is the Old English form of the Proto-Germanic god *Tîwaz, or Týr in Old Norse. *Tîwaz derives from the Proto-Indo-European base *dei-, *deyā-, *dīdyā-, meaning 'to shine', whence comes also such words as "deity".[2]

The Latin name dies Martis ("day of Mars") is equivalent to the Greek ἡμέρα Ἄρεως (Iméra Áreos). In most languages with Latin origins (Italian, French, Spanish, Catalan, Romanian, Galician, Sardinian, Corsican, but not Portuguese), the day is named after Mars, the Ancient Greek Ares Ἄρης .

Tuesday - Wikipedia

Exactly!

Good to have some-on on board who knows such things!

@ Mittwoch

The funny thing is:
Those were Anglo-Saxon Christian missionaries in the old pagan Germany who renamed "Wodan's Day" as "Middle of the Week" - for the Germans.
But they did not succeed in re-naming it in their own country.

@ Yiddish

It is rather the other way round.

Yiddish is a "daughter language" of German.

@ Mittwoch again

The German name for the day, Mittwoch (literally: "mid-week"), replaced the former name Wodenstag ("Wodan's day") in the 10th century. (Similarly, the Yiddish word for Wednesday is מיטוואך (mitvokh), meaning and sounding a lot like the German word it came from.)

Wednesday - Wikipedia

Speak French. They're mostly named after planets, lundi, mardi, mercredi, jeudi, vendredi, samedi, dimanche.

The planets are named after the Gods.

How do these work? Church and Yiddish?

It struck me as odd the first time I read it, but if I had to guess, I would think for the same reasoning was used as when other Jewish terms and expressions were converted into Christian versions.
Like Pesach (Hebrew) -> Pascha (Latin) -> Påske (Danish).

I come from Danish/German roots, Odin/Woden and Thor were always said to have been big in Norse Mythology. After looking up Thor, I see he is Orin’s offspring.

Sometimes.
The vikings and "proto-vikings" never had a centralized church, and there was competition between people the gods. The version you are probably familiar with comes from Snorri's Edda. For the sake of ease, this is usually the accepted version, but it is a local Icelandic version of the old tales, written down 200 years after they became Christian. So not very definite at all, but all the other sources of the old tales are unfortunately similarly tainted.

@ Yiddish
It is rather the other way round.
Yiddish is a "daughter language" of German.

This is an interesting story.
Yiddish is believed to have come into being at the time when Judaism was still a prosetylizing religion, and much of Roman recruiting took place amongst the German tribes. Converted legionnaires brought the religion home with them, and keeping to themselves their dialect eventually developed a new language. Judaism used to be a competing religion with Christianity in the Roman Empire and had a lot of converts. As seen in the HBO TV series "Rome", Jews worked as Craftsmen and traders all over the empire. The Judaism we know today was developed after the destruction of the Temple in 70 AD, when Judaism became persecuted and only the hardcore believers stuck with it. This tipped the balance and so Christianity won out.

The planets are named after the Gods.

Ancient cosmology.
Since the beginning of astronomy/astrology the seven weekdays have been named after the Sun, Moon, and five planets visible with the naked eye. All were associated with gods, and the name topology was kept when the rest of the planets were discovered.
This is usually agreed to have been first formalized in Sumeria, but Humans must have noticed that there was a system in how the stellar bodies moved long before that. There are all sorts of symbology associated with this cycle, from the swastika to the pentagram, and possibly even a story of how the world was created in seven days, which was later formalized in a certain religion and symbolized by the Menorah.

Back
Top Bottom