• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Biggest Threat to Democracy Is the GOP Stealing the Next Election

At what point in a delusional decompensatory episode is intervention required? I'm genuinely interested.

Last edited:
The last time we had any threat of a stolen election was actually 1824

Republicans have been stealing elections for at least decades:

Republicans have been stealing elections for at least decades.
"At least" is a good descriptor. I'll note, though, that they inherited the process from Southern Democrats, going back to the founding of the nation. (They were previously "Democratic Republicans", and "anti-federalists" before that.)

The Biggest Threat to Democracy Is the GOP Stealing the Next Election(Atlantic, Ideas)​

Unless and until the Republican Party recommits itself to playing by democratic rules of the game, American democracy will remain at risk.
"The greatest threat to American democracy today is not a repeat of January 6, but the possibility of a stolen presidential election. Contemporary democrAtacies that die meet their end at the ballot box, through measures that are nominally constitutional. The looming danger is not that the mob will return; it’s that mainstream Republicans will “legally” overturn an election.

"In 2018, when we wrote How Democracies Die, we knew that Donald Trump was an authoritarian figure, and we held the Republican Party responsible for abdicating its role as democratic gatekeeper. But we did not consider the GOP to be an antidemocratic party. Four years later, however, the bulk of the Republican Party is behaving in an antidemocratic manner. Solving this problem requires that we address both the acute crisis and the underlying long-term conditions that give rise to it."
LOL, pure nonsense, typical of The Atlantic's usual jabberwocky. Trump's "authoritarian figure"? Huh? The man who worked to abolish excessive rules and regulations and fought to reduce people's taxes?

Trump wanted his taxes permanently reduced, so he threw temporary crumbs to the middle class, whose rates increased this year.

His economic EOs were to reduce competition for corporations, which is exploitation.

He wanted to Pence to overthrow the election and called the mob to D.C. to support his desired dictatorship.

Trump wanted his taxes permanently reduced, so he threw temporary crumbs to the middle class, whose rates increased this year.

His economic EOs were to reduce competition for corporations, which is exploitation.

He wanted to Pence to overthrow the election and called the mob to D.C. to support his desired dictatorship.
And the GOP is laying the groundwork to make it easier next time.

A good start would be to acknowledge the lack of election integrity in the 2020 election.
If anyone were to show me evidence of statistically significant fraud or lack of integrity, I would be the first to acknowledge the election was illegitimate. I have always said this. What I get in response is either debunked garbage or crickets.

Sorry, but this is not a faith-based exercise.

Just show examples of real evidence that support lack of election integrity.

You have nothing of any significant or systemic examples.

If anyone were to show me evidence of statistically significant fraud or lack of integrity, I would be the first to acknowledge the election was illegitimate. I have always said this. What I get in response is either debunked garbage or crickets.

Read the article, this does make one pause for concern about votes, it was found that 10,000 and maybe more people in Georgia voted twice: https://thefederalist.com/2021/07/0...illegal-votes-in-georgia-to-tip-2020-results/

Read the article, this does make one pause for concern about votes, it was found that 10,000 and maybe more people in Georgia voted twice: https://thefederalist.com/2021/07/0...illegal-votes-in-georgia-to-tip-2020-results/
So basically, they smell smoke, but there's no visible smoke and no fire. Same old same old nonsense.
In Georgia, there was both an audit and a statewide recount confirming Biden’s victory, but ignored in the process was evidence that nearly 35,000 Georgians had potentially voted illegally.
Not had, not likely. It would be better to expend money and effort taking down tax cheats.

Nope, there was no real predication that happened. Sorry, but there you are.
Did you read the article? Here is an excerpt from it just incase you missed it.

When Davis ran the data, he found that, of the approximately 35,000 Georgians who indicated they had moved from one county to another county more than 30 days before the November general election, as of May, more than 10,300 had updated their voter registration information, providing the secretary of state the exact address they had previously provided to the USPS. Those same 10,000-plus individuals all also cast ballots in the county in which they had previously lived.

First clue that you are being Played the fool is that America is not a Democracy ! We are a Constitutional Republic !

Second, the Trump team has asked the US Government to help assure that The Votes of The American People are the ONLY ones that get counted and are accurate !

They have brought in Forensic Experts to Audit the Ballots OF THE US VOTERS ! Yet the DEMs and many GOP'ers DO NOT WANT TO DO a Forensic Audit !!!

Note The DEM's were involved in a documentary called Kill Chain ! It showed how Voting machines are hackable, and how Cheating can happen ! Stacey Abrams said she was a victim of this type of Fraud! ... in 2020 Trump said the Same thing, and sighted the same issues, but now it's crazy ? ...

Also, if you Libs/Dems etc.. REALLY want to Stop Fraud or Cheating, why do you keep trying to STOP Voter verification ????.....

Stacy Abrams claimed the 2018 election was tainted by voter suppression and helped register 800,000 new voters for 2020. She never said voting machines were hacked. That is a lie.

When Davis ran the data, he found that, of the approximately 35,000 Georgians who indicated they had moved from one county to another county more than 30 days before the November general election, as of May, more than 10,300 had updated their voter registration information, providing the secretary of state the exact address they had previously provided to the USPS. Those same 10,000-plus individuals all also cast ballots in the county in which they had previously lived.
Here's why that analysis is absolute nonsense: Under Georgia law "If you were eligible to vote but voted in the wrong precinct, only the votes for candidates for which you were entitled to vote will be counted, and you will be notified in writing that your ballot was partially counted for your correct precinct." The assertion is garbage. Georgia was so far behind in processing changes of address hundreds of thousands of legitimate voters were left off the rolls in the proper precinct, or had not received absentee ballots at their new addresses. Really, really dumb argument, and legally unsound. Some people will believe anything...

Last edited:
Here's why that analysis is absolute nonsense: Under Georgia law "If you were eligible to vote but voted in the wrong precinct, only the votes for candidates for which you were entitled to vote will be counted, and you will be notified in writing that your ballot was partially counted for your correct precinct." The assertion is garbage. Georgia was so far behind in processing changes of address hundreds of thousands of legitimate voters were left off the rolls. Really, really dumb argument, and legally unsound. Some people will believe anything...
Let me ask you this question, it shouldn't be hard to answer, Does Georiga require you to be a resident of the State to vote in State elections?

Here's the delima, Derek Somerville, a trained federal investigator and former member of the US intelligence community, found over 57,000 ballots that were cast in a county where the voter was not a legal resident. Somerville’s examination of the data also found that over 17,000 ballots were forwarded out of state via a permanent United States Postal Service forwarding request authorization. This means that the voters were officially no longer residents of the State of Georgia. Somerville went on to say that of those 57,793 ballots cast, 17,514 of those voters requested the USPS to permanently forward their mail out of state to non-military addresses.

Let me ask you this question, it shouldn't be hard to answer, Does Georiga require you to be a resident of the State to vote in State elections?

Here's the delima, Derek Somerville, a trained federal investigator and former member of the US intelligence community, found over 57,000 ballots that were cast in a county where the voter was not a legal resident. Somerville’s examination of the data also found that over 17,000 ballots were forwarded out of state via a permanent United States Postal Service forwarding request authorization. This means that the voters were officially no longer residents of the State of Georgia. Somerville went on to say that of those 57,793 ballots cast, 17,514 of those voters requested the USPS to permanently forward their mail out of state to non-military addresses.
Some analyst. If this is the quality of his analysis, no wonder he's "former". Good god, do you expend any effort thinking about what you read? It is certainly not evident here.

Think, my friend. Is military service the only basis for seeking an absentee ballot? Do all military members use military addresses? I know I never did in 30 years of service. Your acceptance of such idiotic logic does not speak well of your discernment.

I read the article and have a couple of comments.

First, the article would be more credible if the author weren't so blatantly biased. For example, "Under the cover of COVID-19, Georgia, like many other states, flooded residents with absentee ballot applications. Also like sister states, Georgia ignored various legislative mandates designed to prevent fraud and to ensure the integrity of the vote."
This makes it sound like a conspiracy within and among states. All the complaints in all states were litigated and resolved, to the best of my knowledge. So that's a moot point.
Also, to say, "Trump might have been right after all...", dangerously and disingenuously misrepresents what Trump did. In his call to Raffensperger, Trump raised completely unsubstantiated allegations that had already been investigated and found false, such as thousands of ballots being destroyed in Fulton County. He said nothing about people voting illegally out of county. More importantly, it was clearly a fishing expedition. Trump was desperate to put pressure anywhere to get what he wanted, and he didn't care how it happened. If Raffensperger had chosen to deliver the former President 12,000 fake ballots, Trump would have been just fine with that. Thank God for the integrity and backbone of the Georgia Sec of State.

Second, let's be clear that this is in no way election fraud, i.e., vote rigging, voter fraud, election manipulation. etc. It is people failing to register their change of address on time. There's no evidence that this was done deliberately. Doesn't mean that they may not have voted illegally, just that there's no evidence that they were trying to cheat.

Most importantly, there is no evidence in the article to suggest that removing these votes would have changed the outcome of the election. These people could just have easily voted for Trump as for Biden. It's worth noting that the article says nothing about which counties the votes were in, something that the researcher clearly would have known. I suspect that if the votes in question had been in primarily Democratic counties, the article would have said so.

Actually it is. You have to have faith that ballots without a chain of custody were properly cast and counts without observers were properly done. You have to faith that in all 5 swing states somewhere north of 90% of the last ballots counted were for Joe Biden. You have to have faith that even though it is possible to manipulate voting machines remotely it did not happen. You have to have faith in the election personnel. Call me a skeptic.

You are confusing faith with presumption in the absence of evidence.
Actually it is. You have to have faith that ballots without a chain of custody were properly cast and counts without observers were properly done.
In the absence of evidence to the contrary, I have faith that the relevant officials competently did their duty. I am not aware of any counts without observers.
You have to faith that in all 5 swing states somewhere north of 90% of the last ballots counted were for Joe Biden.
The last ballots being counted for Biden is such a tired canard, I can't even believe you raise it. It was known in advance that there would be an overnight bump for Biden based on which counties were to be counted when. Democratic-leaning urban counties were coming later. Trump knew it and used it to his advantage, predicting to the ignorant and gullible that it was going to happen and be evidence of "fraud". Here's just one example from Milwaukee.

You have to have faith that even though it is possible to manipulate voting machines remotely it did not happen. You have to have faith in the election personnel. Call me a skeptic.
Again, no evidence suggests that machines were manipulated. And this is why we should, and mostly do, also have paper ballots as a verification backup. I don't have faith, rather I rely on the people who do this for a living to assess whether the election was secure or hacked.

You believe his flawed model: the professionals don't.

Actually it is. You have to have faith that ballots without a chain of custody were properly cast and counts without observers were properly done. You have to faith that in all 5 swing states somewhere north of 90% of the last ballots counted were for Joe Biden. You have to have faith that even though it is possible to manipulate voting machines remotely it did not happen. You have to have faith in the election personnel. Call me a skeptic.
I would add that you have faith in Trump, that you (apparently) believe what he says about the election even though he has lied about things large and small, literally tens of thousands of times. By what logic could you reasonably place your "faith" in his word against those of judges, independent observers, federal government oversight agencies, LEOs, elections officials and investigative journalists. I mean, really, who is relying on faith in this scenario?

Last edited:
I would add that you have faith in Trump, that you (apparently) believe what he says about the election even though he has lied about things large and small, literally tens of thousands of times. By what logic could you reasonably place your "faith" in his word against those of judges, independent observers, federal government oversight agencies, LEOs, elections officials and investigative journalists. I mean, really, who is relying on faith in this scenario?
Trump didn't have to say anything to know that Biden did not win.

Trump didn't have to say anything to know that Biden did not win.
Eriech, truly, Biden won: easily. Trump will never run for office again. A felon can't do that.

Back
Top Bottom