• We will be taking the forum down for maintenance at [5:15 am CDT] - in 15 minutes. We should be down less than 1 hour.
  • This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Argument Againt Pseudo-Atheism

"Spinoza and the Wheat Stem Sawfly"
Episode 11
In which an hubristic atheist is humbled in public by dint of rational argument

You, not I, define the abstract concept of "God" "supernatural" etc as unexplainable at the abstract level. You then ask for real physical verifiable proof for that unexplainable concept. There is 100% chance everyone fails in that task - none of which has to do with us nor a lack of logic by anyone other than your choices and language. How do I know you think that? You've made clear if there is another explanation for any supposed God it is a refute of God.

No, it's not. The problem is that the religious are making unsubstantiated claims about their gods and expecting others to take them seriously without being able to show that these claims are true, or even reasonable, or that they have any means whatsoever of rationally making these claims in the first place. The religious typically claim that their gods are supernatural, but what is the supernatural? How do the religious know that the supernatural exists in the first place? After all, they can't even define what it is, only what it isn't. They can't produce a single example of the supernatural for study. It is a made up word that means nothing and their entire beliefs are predicated on this word meaning something. The entire reason gods have become supernatural over the years is because the religious finally realized that their gods fail every rational test, therefore they have to arbitrarily place them outside of rationality. But if they're outside of rationality, then believing in them is also irrational because there's no reason to think that these gods are there in the first place. For the religious, all of this is a lose-lose proposition.

The methodology of a reality test for God is difficult perhaps even impossible. Conceptually though there is no excuse to not be able to grasp "a supreme consciousness above nature which can dictate events". Alas no it must be "unexplainable". It not like there is anything in science that is just theoretical but only likely based on indirect observation. I suppose that too is just "unexplainable" :lol:

If it is, then nobody ought to believe. This isn't about ideologically being able to grasp a concept. I can grasp the idea of the Force in Star Wars. But there's a difference between getting it conceptually and deciding that this concept has to be factually correct. I understand the Force. I don't think it's real. Anyone out there who thinks the Force is real has some serious problems.

My current understanding is not all that important. Best results and living the best life is what matters. And no, neither happiness nor addiction was a factor in my motive perhaps the recovery from a type of addiction to my most self-centred tendencies. We do style our relgion on recovery.

Reality has to matter. It is the measure of the reliability and rationality of your beliefs. If you don't care about that, I don't know what to tell you. It's kind of pathetic.

Reality has to matter. It is the measure of the reliability and rationality of your beliefs. If you don't care about that, I don't know what to tell you. It's kind of pathetic.
:mrgreen:

That is all I care about! I have my ideas about reality and those exist between me and reality. I use the best forms I am able to navigate that reality. I thus don't worry if I need to correct my forms. I care about underlying meanings. You think you just exist no filter nor emtional bias? :thumbs:

If not and you do as I suspect, know full well you have bias then let us continue to discuss what constitute best forms out side both of our biases; otherwise, this is game of the pot that debating the kettle on blackness.

I can grasp the idea of the Force in Star Wars. But there's a difference between getting it conceptually and deciding that this concept has to be factually correct. I understand the Force. I don't think it's real.
If you can get God conceptually. Why then would do you express that any "natural explanation" for "statistical mystery" refutes God's existence?

what is the supernatural?
Beyond Natural. Encompassing: Extra demential -> within a psychological mentalscape which influences the physical word -> to the super-real word by which our is a simulation there-in….

Again, an abstract idea. Requires context. General in nature not specfic.

How do the religious know that the supernatural exists in the first place?
They don't. They compare and contrast the possibility of a non-supernatural universe with supernatural version. Most atheists even acknowledge a supernatural realm under some other secular heading. Supernatural was once a agreed term.

After all, they can't even define what it is, only what it isn't.
Correct hence uses of more specific distinctions like "heaven" and "earth" when outlining a spiritual idea. Did it happen on earth(real) or in heaven(in the absract).

You act as though for thousand of years people haven't been using and debating with these terms without this semantic confusion depite vastly differnt ideas. That is due to common reference and good faith. You need that if you're going to talk literal interpretations. Supernatural can be a common reference if you stop defining it as "the absurd".

They can't produce a single example of the supernatural for study.
How do you suggest we study it? We do it indirectly with the use stories or paradoxes and discussing the absract ideas at play. It works pretty good. If you have better method in the pragmatic sense I am all ears.

If you mean the specific form of supernatural often called magic. Yes it has within history been debunked. If you wonder the difference from other supernatual forms, magic says if you do X -> Y. Prayer/miraculous etc says if you ask X there is a greater chance of Y. We take literal claims of magic now frame it as common refrence: "magical thinking". A rational person might still however call something magical it is just assumed to be metaphoric. :peace

To be fair as I pointed out eariler: the modren relgious is still in a more general sense superstitious. Superstitious is not science. Superstitious is not rational in and of itself. One can be rational and superstitious. In certian contexts even rationally superstitious(it serves them). It is not a waste to split this into further distinction. I understand you find 'superstitious behavior' absurd. It doesn't stop it from existing. It doesn't make it absurd(outside your opinion) nor does it make the claims have any more credibility. To have meaningful dicussion it requires an examination of the facts. The facts are the outcomes, the motives, the degree not the absruct comparable rationality of one axom transmuted to another. I sorry if you don't get that. Your loss.

Episode 12
In which the sawfly is caught ovipositing a load of atheist shibboleths

Episode 13
In which the sawfly flees, overwhelmed by a discursive force the likes of which he never before encountered in his home in Echo Canyon

Episode 14
In which the sawfly returns to his home in Echo Canyon greeted by the warm welcoming buzz of his fellow sawflies

Back
Top Bottom