• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The 1950's ---- Musical variety at its best!

Perry Como would a few more hits in 1956, and how can anyone forget HOT DIGGITY:

Bill Haley's recording of SEE YOU LATER, ALLIGATOR popularized a term already in use at the time, even Princess Margaret of the United Kingdom was quoted as saying it. In 1956, this would become Haley's third and final million-selling single, although it did not hit the top of the American charts coming in at 33.

Haley and the Comets would re-recorded the song several more times: in 1964 for Guest Star Records, a drastically rearranged version for Mexico's ORFREN Records in 1966, and once more in 1968 for Sweden' SONET Record. It was also a staple of the band's live act.

Last edited:
She was what they used to call a triple threat - that rare celebrity who could sing, dance, and act.

Coming in at number 30 for 1956 is THE FLYING SAUCER (parts 1 & 2). Released by Bill Buchanan and Dickie Goodman. This record is considered to be perhaps the earliest example of a mashup, featuring segments of popular songs intertwined with spoken "news" commentary to tell the story of a visit from a Flying Saucer encounter.

Buchanan plays the radio announcer, stating that the spacemen are attacking Earth. Goodman plays reporter John Cameron-Cameron (a play on the broadcaster John Cameron Swayze). Goodman would re-visit this character in several other such 'Flying Saucer' records.
The recording uses clips from 17 different songs, each of which was a top 20 hit in 1955 or 1956. In order of occurrence:

1. Side One
    • "Open Up That Door" (saxophone intro only)
    • "The Great Pretender" (referenced as "Too Real" by The Clatters)
    • "I Want Yout to be My Girl"
    • "Long Tall Sally"
    • "Poor Me"
    • "Heatbreak Hotel"
    • "Earth Angel" (referenced as "Earth" by The Pelicans)
    • "I Hear You Knocking" (referenced as "Knocking" by Laughing Lewis)
    • "Tutti Frutti"
    • "(You've Got) The Magic Touch" (referenced as "Uh-Oh" by The Clatters)
    • "The Great Pretender" by The Platters
  2. Side Two
    • "Band Of Gold"
    • "Ain't That A Shame" (referenced as "That's A Shame" by Skinny Dynamo)
    • "Band of Gold" by Don Cherry (again)
    • "Don't Be Angry"
    • "Blue Suede Shoes" (referenced as "Shoes" by Pa Gherkins)
    • "Maybellene" (referenced as "The Motor Cooled Down" by Huckle Berry)
    • "See You Later Alligator"
    • "My Prayer"
Its wide use of "sampling" prompted music publishers to file suit against Buchanan and Goodman in July (1956). An anonymous source told Billboard, "If we can't stop this nothing is safe in our business." THE FLYING SAUCER was the first popular record to sample directly from original recordings. The comedians made fun of their own predicament by issuing a follow-up song, "Buchanan and Goodman on Trial" (Luniverse 102). By November, 1956, the novelty song had stood up in court, being labeled as artful and clever. A judge would not issue an injunction prohibiting the sales of the record. Essentially, the record was considered a new work. This made it legal for artists to sample existing records—a practice that would become popular in following years.

In December of 1957 The Harry Simeone Chorale recorded an unassuming single that was destined to be a yearly hit. in 1959–60 the song hit No. 13 on Billboard's Hot 100, No. 24 in 1960–61, No. 22 in 1961–62, and No. 28 in 62–63. The song in question is THE LITTLE DRUMMER BOY. Have a very MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Last edited:
The guy who sings the high part is Clyde McPhatter. He founded the Drifters, and had a big influence on rock music and rhythm and blues. He lost the battle of the bottle and died young, broke, and alone.

The DRIFTER's version of WHITE CHRISTMAS was from 1956. Perhaps you have seen the later cartoon version?

In 1956 Eddie Fisher would have this hit DUNGAREE DOLL. I remember when dungarees was the term everyone once used in reference to "BLUE JEANS". This song was to reach number 7.

The FOUR LADS would peak at number 3 with STANDING ON THE CORNER (watching all the girls go by) in early 1956: Note that COLUMBIA Records was still issuing singles on both 45 rpm and 78 rpm (but not for much longer)

In 1956 Teresa Brewer had a hit that reached 3 in the U.K. and 7 in the U.S. It would reach 46 in the top 50 for that year. And the song: A SWEET OLD FASHIONED GIRL: And yes, the men were still looking for them in 1956 --- though being a real cutie didn't hurt.

The big musical play of 1956 was MY FAIR LADY, and Vic Damone would have a hit with ON THE STREET WHERE YOU LIVE that year:

One of the BIG standards of the Rock Era was to appear in 1956. The song was inspired by a love letter containing the line, "Why do birds sing so gay?" This song was recorded by Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers and would be 28 in the top 50 for that year. And the question is: WHY DO FOOLS FALL IN LOVE? .

Here they are on Television that same year. The song typified the innocents of the decade:

This is now a somewhat overlooked song, but was once quite popular and would reach 26 on the chart in 1957. The quartette was THE FOUR ESQUIRES and the song would be heard on American Bandstand Chanel 6 In Philly, and the group would be seen on Television singing this song. The song was LOVE ME FOREVER and appeared on PARIS Records (possibly accounting for its hard to find status)---- a prom favorite for a time: And here played on Bandstand when Bandstand first became a nationally televised smash:

Last edited:
This song has been recorded by dozens of singers, but Frankie does it the best. 1957.

Les Paul is a legend, but his wife Mary Ford was musically gifted as well. She was a talented guitarist and had a great voice. This song wasn't one of their hits, but it's my favorite from them. Released in the early 50s.

The Elvis hits for 1957 would include: #1 ALL SHOOK UP
#7 TOO MUCH Note that Elvis is only shown from the waist up on the Ed Sullivan Show. The show was considered FAMILY ENTERTAINMENT. It does look like Elvis was trying to be more sedate at the time... #9 TEDDY BEAR #16 JAILHOUSE ROCK

The number 5 hit in 1957 was SO RARE with Tommy DORSEY (Yes, the big band leader of the 20's, 30's & 40's) HE certainly could really play that sax:

Last edited:
In 1931 a song would be written that was destined to become a major hit with Pat Boone's version in June and July 1957, spending 5 weeks at number one on the top 100, with 34 weeks in total on the chart. Billboard ranked it as the No. 2 song for 1957 LOVE LETTERS IN THE SAND:

Last edited:
I love this clip of LITTLE DARLIN' Dick Clark is still young and alive. The songs listed on the chart are all memories. But dig the guys pantomiming their hit. They (The Diamonds) all remind me of how my dad dressed way back then.... Here is another tune from another place and time. The good years...

The female part is a back up singer Margie Hendrix. She had a kid with Ray, but they fought and he fired her. She had a great voice, but never got the fame she deserved. She died broke and alone in her 30s.

Tab Hunter would have a #1 hit song that would remain so for 6 weeks in the US and 7 in the UK. This caused it to reach number 4 for 1957. The song was YOUNG LOVE and he would sing the song on the Perry Como show live in 1957. He seems to show an honest embarrassment as he sings the song:

1957 would not be 1957 without this song sung by Debbie Reynolds. It came in as #7 that year but was very much loved and also would become a ballroom classic of the period. Published in 1957 the song made its debut in the film Tammy and the Bachelor. It was nominated for the 1957 --- Best Original Song. TAMMY the hit single is heard midway through the film, and was a UK No. 2 hit single in the same year. TAMMY was released by CORAL Records The backing orchestrations were done by Joseph Gershinson. It first reached the Billboard charts on July 22, 1957, and peaked at No. 1 on all the U.S. charts: the Disk Jockey chart, the Best Seller chart, and the composite chart of the top 100 songs. The single TAMMY earned Miss Reynolds a gold record. I was really little when I first heard this melody, and I remember tearing up because I felt so sad for Tammy. This song really does bring back memories for me hearing it played on the radio ---- seemingly everywhere. They don't write them like this anymore:

Last edited:
Pat Boone would have another great seller in 1957 titled DON'T FORBID ME on DOT Records. It would rank #6 for that year:

Back
Top Bottom