• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tense mood grips Tulsa as Trump fans and protesters gather ahead of campaign rally

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...um=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most

TULSA — Tulsa was a city on edge Friday night, as Trump fans and protesters gathered in anticipation of the president's first campaign rally in months set for Saturday, raising fears of a violent confrontation and a worsening spread of the coronavirus as local cases spike.

Authorities set up a perimeter around the 19,000-seat BOK Center in downtown Tulsa, where those eager to see Trump started lining up at midweek. Businesses around the area boarded up their windows, and the mayor issued a state of emergency and set up a curfew out of concern that outside groups were headed to town to raise trouble.

But the city announced it was rescinding the safety measures after Trump tweeted:

"I just spoke to the highly respected Mayor of Tulsa, G.T. Bynum, who informed me there will be no curfew tonight or tomorrow for our many supporters attending the #MAGA Rally," Trump said. "Enjoy yourselves - thank you to Mayor Bynum!"

"Give me the date that America was great for everybody," he said. "It wasn't great for blacks when we were enslaved. And then had to fight Jim Crow and then fight for the right to vote. It wasn't great for white women who couldn't even vote and was reduced to 'You stay in the kitchen.' . . . When was America great for everybody?"

The president's decision to hold his first campaign-style rally since the pandemic began in Tulsa on the weekend of Juneteenth angered many across the county and comes as the country is in the midst of a historic reckoning on race after the death of George Floyd while in police custody in Minneapolis on May 25.

Trump, who has used divisive language about race, originally planned the rally to be held on Juneteenth itself but moved it a day after widespread outcry.

Although Oklahoma is a solidly Republican state, Trump campaign officials said they chose the city for Trump’s first campaign rally in months because Oklahoma is already well into reopening after the coronavirus shutdown and view it as a celebration of sorts that the worst of the crisis is over. Trump and others have said about 1 million people have requested tickets to the event.

The campaign intends to supply rallygoers with masks and hand sanitizer, but it will not be keeping attendees six feet apart.
=======================================================================================
This is a glaring example of how Trump is fanning the flames of the pandemic.

Oklahoma’s new cases have spiked since the state moved into an aggressive reopening plan on June 1.

Eric Feigl-Ding, an epidemiologist at Harvard University’s Chan School of Public Health, said Oklahoma has the second-fastest-growing per capita rate of new coronavirus infections in the country, based on a seven-day average.
===================================
The city’s top health official, Bruce Dart, has said he was worried the rally could become a “super spreader” event and said Wednesday that he had recommended the rally be postponed until it was safe.

“I know so many people are over covid,” Dart said. “But covid is not over.”

Trump’s supporters said that they were unconcerned about the perils of coronavirus or of protesters.

“I’m not going to let those people run me off,” Terri Whisenhunt, 49, of Wagoner, Okla., vowed. “And covid-19 is not going to keep me locked in my house. I think it’s all a bunch of B.S.”

She said she would not be wearing a mask inside the rally, echoing the sentiments of many of Trump’s top staffers, including press secretary Kayleigh McEnany, who said Friday that no one in the administration has any reservations about going forward with the rally during the pandemic. Asked why Trump is taking the risk of spreading infection, she said, “Look, I think we’re confident we can operate safely in Tulsa.”

Post more messages supporting millions of Democratic domestic terrorist anarchists spreading covid-19 deliberately hoping to kill millions of Americans - while pretending you care about covid-19 for Trump's rally.

I keep waiting for a progressive Democrat on a forum to post a message on covid-19 that isn't 100% total hypocrisy for which they believe their own message.

The MSM trying to divert Trump's rally to a rant on covid-19 is desperation on their part - with they MSM relying on their belief that Democrats are the most gullible, submissive and low intelligence people on earth.

You guys to burn cities down over a black felon having a heart attack.

Can the sophistry

Oh i do recall similar lies about Heather Heyer from your lot.

No, it means there’s vocal minorities of malcontents all over the world.

They have no solution to any problem. If they did they would calmly come to legislature with proposed legislation and debate it

Lol minority :lamo. Kaepernik was the calm protest.

There is no cure for Stupid,....oh wait, there is now COVID-19.

just about everyone who lives long enough is going to be exposed to this virus-sooner or later.

I wouldn’t say nothing, but on the whole a lot of social changes were very negative.

Political and social changes should occur naturally and slowly via tradition and not from the ideas of a handful of technocrats in government.

Lincoln would have disagreed with you.

Well, due to the Tulsa event being trolled by teens and young adults in their 20's who use Tik Tok and/or are K-Pop fans who snatched up the majority of RSVP's and then didn't show as a sign of protest...or...the unlikely even that Trump supporters decided to stay home instead of attending due to COVID-19 concerns...only 6,200 supporters actually came. Which means, thankfully, there won't be that many new cases.

Now, I know some are saying that the protesters scared the crowds and kept them from entering the stadium...but one would think that there are numerous videos from FOX or OAN showing out of control protesters and violence and groups keeping people from entering...but we really aren't seeing that footage, now are we? And the Tulsa police admitted that protests were mild and that at any given point, at least two out of the three entrances were open...there was one arrest in a secure zone. But the Tulsa police said it; there was no blockage and the protests were mild.

Amazing how the virus knows to infect only gatherings of Trump supporters. Maybe it came from the DNC rather than China.

That explain why Trump gets tested often. You know, those same tests he wants slowed down as it effects the stats and graphs.

Well, due to the Tulsa event being trolled by teens and young adults in their 20's who use Tik Tok and/or are K-Pop fans who snatched up the majority of RSVP's and then didn't show as a sign of protest...or...the unlikely even that Trump supporters decided to stay home instead of attending due to COVID-19 concerns...only 6,200 supporters actually came. Which means, thankfully, there won't be that many new cases.

Now, I know some are saying that the protesters scared the crowds and kept them from entering the stadium...but one would think that there are numerous videos from FOX or OAN showing out of control protesters and violence and groups keeping people from entering...but we really aren't seeing that footage, now are we? And the Tulsa police admitted that protests were mild and that at any given point, at least two out of the three entrances were open...there was one arrest in a secure zone. But the Tulsa police said it; there was no blockage and the protests were mild.

Even with the tickets being snapped up, it does not explain the lack of over spill outside. It was in the Press that Trump would speak outside, but not many showed up. I think most folks with a lick of common sense would avoid gathering in such a large crowd.

just about everyone who lives long enough is going to be exposed to this virus-sooner or later.

True, but I prefer to be exposed After there are treatments and a vaccine.

Back
Top Bottom