• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tense mood grips Tulsa as Trump fans and protesters gather ahead of campaign rally

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...um=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most

TULSA — Tulsa was a city on edge Friday night, as Trump fans and protesters gathered in anticipation of the president's first campaign rally in months set for Saturday, raising fears of a violent confrontation and a worsening spread of the coronavirus as local cases spike.

Authorities set up a perimeter around the 19,000-seat BOK Center in downtown Tulsa, where those eager to see Trump started lining up at midweek. Businesses around the area boarded up their windows, and the mayor issued a state of emergency and set up a curfew out of concern that outside groups were headed to town to raise trouble.

But the city announced it was rescinding the safety measures after Trump tweeted:

"I just spoke to the highly respected Mayor of Tulsa, G.T. Bynum, who informed me there will be no curfew tonight or tomorrow for our many supporters attending the #MAGA Rally," Trump said. "Enjoy yourselves - thank you to Mayor Bynum!"

"Give me the date that America was great for everybody," he said. "It wasn't great for blacks when we were enslaved. And then had to fight Jim Crow and then fight for the right to vote. It wasn't great for white women who couldn't even vote and was reduced to 'You stay in the kitchen.' . . . When was America great for everybody?"

The president's decision to hold his first campaign-style rally since the pandemic began in Tulsa on the weekend of Juneteenth angered many across the county and comes as the country is in the midst of a historic reckoning on race after the death of George Floyd while in police custody in Minneapolis on May 25.

Trump, who has used divisive language about race, originally planned the rally to be held on Juneteenth itself but moved it a day after widespread outcry.

Although Oklahoma is a solidly Republican state, Trump campaign officials said they chose the city for Trump’s first campaign rally in months because Oklahoma is already well into reopening after the coronavirus shutdown and view it as a celebration of sorts that the worst of the crisis is over. Trump and others have said about 1 million people have requested tickets to the event.

The campaign intends to supply rallygoers with masks and hand sanitizer, but it will not be keeping attendees six feet apart.
=======================================================================================
This is a glaring example of how Trump is fanning the flames of the pandemic.

Oklahoma’s new cases have spiked since the state moved into an aggressive reopening plan on June 1.

Eric Feigl-Ding, an epidemiologist at Harvard University’s Chan School of Public Health, said Oklahoma has the second-fastest-growing per capita rate of new coronavirus infections in the country, based on a seven-day average.
===================================
The city’s top health official, Bruce Dart, has said he was worried the rally could become a “super spreader” event and said Wednesday that he had recommended the rally be postponed until it was safe.

“I know so many people are over covid,” Dart said. “But covid is not over.”

Trump’s supporters said that they were unconcerned about the perils of coronavirus or of protesters.

“I’m not going to let those people run me off,” Terri Whisenhunt, 49, of Wagoner, Okla., vowed. “And covid-19 is not going to keep me locked in my house. I think it’s all a bunch of B.S.”

She said she would not be wearing a mask inside the rally, echoing the sentiments of many of Trump’s top staffers, including press secretary Kayleigh McEnany, who said Friday that no one in the administration has any reservations about going forward with the rally during the pandemic. Asked why Trump is taking the risk of spreading infection, she said, “Look, I think we’re confident we can operate safely in Tulsa.”

COVID not going away. It will never be "safe" between now and November. Joe is not going to be able to hide in the basement forever. He has to campaign or he is going to lose hugely. He already has a large enthusiasm gap. Not going out among the dirty masses will worsen that for him.

So many will die as the orcs spread the virus to establishments. The sacrifice feeds the cult leader. The cult knows this and are willing to die and kill for his glory.

What organizers should have done is cordoned off a 6 block area and set up a semi permanent rally since, apparently, the virus respects barricades.

COVID not going away. It will never be "safe" between now and November. Joe is not going to be able to hide in the basement forever. He has to campaign or he is going to lose hugely. He already has a large enthusiasm gap. Not going out among the dirty masses will worsen that for him.

Poll Shows Biden Surge

Trump Says, ‘Fox Is Terrible!’ After Poll Shows Biden Surge
Tommy Beer
Tommy BeerForbes Staff
Business
Updated Jun 19, 2020, 12:00pm EDT
TOPLINE A day after Fox News’ latest national poll showed that presumptive Democratic nominee Joe Biden had opened up a 12-point edge over Trump, one of many such surveys in recent weeks that has Biden widening his lead, the president called the Fox poll fraudulent and claimed it was created by “haters.”

Trump Says, ‘Fox Is Terrible!’ After Poll Shows Biden Surge

So many will die as the orcs spread the virus to establishments. The sacrifice feeds the cult leader. The cult knows this and are willing to die and kill for his glory.

Amazing how the virus knows to infect only gatherings of Trump supporters. Maybe it came from the DNC rather than China.

Coronavirus is tough on a demagogue because he is so dependent on stirring the rabble.

But it sounds like Trump has planned an evening of chaos and hatred that he would surely define as "perfect."

You guys to burn cities down over a black felon having a heart attack.

Can the sophistry

Can the sophistry

So open-minded of Trump to free them of a curfew tonight.

Maybe having a rally just after national riots about police shootings and in the middle of a pandemic isn't a great idea after all.
What a shocker!

What organizers should have done is cordoned off a 6 block area and set up a semi permanent rally since, apparently, the virus respects barricades.

Ouch!

Can the sophistry

Do you actually watch the news? You do know the riots were about more than that and the fact that people of all races and all over the world are also peacefully protesting should maybe tell you that it's a real problem that needs solving.

:cool:

I just heard a report from John Roberts and he said he has covered many rallies that were very well attended but has never seen anything like what is happening in Tulsa. A jovial, enthusiastic, crowd.

Can the sophistry

Yep that's the lie racists like yourself say. Did you harass a black guy today to meet your klan quota, racist?

Do you actually watch the news? You do know the riots were about more than that and the fact that people of all races and all over the world are also peacefully protesting should maybe tell you that it's a real problem that needs solving.

No, it means there’s vocal minorities of malcontents all over the world.

They have no solution to any problem. If they did they would calmly come to legislature with proposed legislation and debate it

No, it means there’s vocal minorities of malcontents all over the world.

They have no solution to any problem. If they did they would calmly come to legislature with proposed legislation and debate it

I have a feeling the black community in the USA have tried going to their representative and having a nice chat over a cup of tea and they got precisely nowhere for the last 50 years.
There have been plenty of proposals to the problem if you bother to actually listen.

Retraining the police and not arming them like they're going into the middle of WW3 could be a start.

Amazing how the virus knows to infect only gatherings of Trump supporters. Maybe it came from the DNC rather than China.

Maybe God has had enough of Trump.

:cool:

I just heard a report from John Roberts and he said he has covered many rallies that were very well attended but has never seen anything like what is happening in Tulsa. A jovial, enthusiastic, crowd.

I bet. There was a lot of enthusiasm when he came to El Paso last year and we are a very Dem city. These people have been locked down for months, told they couldn’t go to work or church in this “free” country and that they were terrible and selfish for even wanting to. This must feel like Christmas, the 4th of July and the day they got their driver’s license rolled into one.

Keep your religion out of politics, zealot. :2razz:

In all seriousness, Trump's Welcome Covid MAGA rally being held indoors with 19000 people yelling and cheering in close quarters is tailor made for disaster.

If only there was even an attempt at consistency.

The self-serving partisans, aka the anti-Trumps, don't even try to hide their hideous double standards anymore.

In all seriousness, Trump's Welcome Covid MAGA rally being held indoors with 19000 people yelling and cheering in close quarters is tailor made for disaster.

You mean disaster for people like yourself, don't you?

Back
Top Bottom